“Horrible Experience----I am exhausted!”

Eurostars Panama City
Ranked #42 of 117 Hotels in Panama City
Houston, Texas
“Horrible Experience----I am exhausted!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

1). We booked this place because it had a casino. We get here and the casino closed for construction.

2). Ordered room service for dinner. I ordered the Corvina al Pesto ( sea bass with pesto and fettuccine)..... They brought completely wrong item. No biggie. I ate it. Not exact what I wanted but it was ok if you overlooked the 1/4 oil floating on the plate.

But the kicker....the real joy of the experience was the lack of sleep. Apparently and A/C motor of some sort was in the space above/near our room?? And it was having problems. Major problems. When it kicked on it sounded like a diesel truck was just outside our wall. LOUD. This came on for about 15 or so minutes. This happened 4 or so times.

We called front desk. No offer of help.

When we checked out we cained to manager. Nothing. We were told that WE should of been the ones to request changing rooms. They did offer 50 percent off my wrong dinner order. ....so about $8 bucks for this whole experience.

Buyer beware!!!! Ick!!

Stayed August 2014
7 Thank MrsHtex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Polish first
Sydney
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Panama is expanding so fast it can't keep up; and so too the Sonesta.
The hotel is luxurious and the beds the most comfortable my wife and I had ever slept on.
The food is good and the front desk staff delightfully friendly.
Like the rest of Panama however many of the staff have yet to learn the type of service tourists expect - one night I waited more than an hour for room service to bring a club sandwich.
The shower - very nice rainforest type - regularly ran out of hot water; and the air conditioning in the room kept us awake at night thump-thump-thumping away.
Fix the teething problems and give the staff some training and it would easily be a four.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GreyNomadSydney
Oss, The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed a couple of days in this Hotel and it was great.
The hotel is just a year old thus everything is brand new. The sushi restaurant wasn't even open yet. The rooms are nice spacious and the bathroom also. The hotel is equipped with gym, sauna, steam bath , jacuzzi and on the roof of the hotel een nice swimming pool. The breakfast was good and every day other items but not so many bread , but there was enough other food.
So i recommend this hotel for a citytrip.
Only disadvantage was that the gym and spa closed at 6 pm

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Erik13nl
Lima
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Booked the hotel after comparing reviews and finally because the number of stars, I wanted something more upscale than a regular 3*. This is a 3* period. We were two, i booked a two beds bedroom. There were no robes, just one hand towel and I think no face towels. The room quite spartan, no complimentary water, no tourism maps, no information about where to go or what to do, taxis from the hotel much more higher priced (except the airport one which charges the same rate than the "official" rate you'll get at the airport at arrival (a local told me that it was too high though). There is no first aid cabinet in the hotel.... well let me rephrase, there was an empty box and the answer was they took everything out to replenish, there was not even alcohol or cotton pads! Even I told them I needed something basic to clean an injury after a fall in the street and avoid infection they were not worry at all. I had to ask where the nearest pharmacy was and go there by myself to buy the basics. The service at the breakfast was good though the breakfast itself was an average assortisement. The cleaning... i usually dont get anything from the minibar, but the second day the guy that check the consumption knocked the door when i was still at the room, so i let him get inside to check the minibar. when he opened the minibar it had half eaten dishes inside!!. I was disgusting. What else? The only one that really provided an outstanding service was one of the bell boys, who was very attentive at all moments. The hotel has a small jacuzzi, a small pool and a gym. About location, it is ok, a lot of hotels around the area. I am sure I am not going to stay there again and werent because I prepaid, I would have changed hotels. There are many 3* around and I am sure the service will be much better.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank RoxLima
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I spent 3 nights at the Royal Sonesta and I found it to be a excellent hotel. It is new hotel and the rooms were great with 47 inch flat panel TV's, comfortable beds and a large well appointed bathroom. I ate three diners at the hotel and the fool was very good. I really enjoyed the swimming pool on the 27th floor. Great views of the city and I had the place to myself...so relaxing. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. Everyone at the front desk were very courteous and as I speak very little Spanish the fact that they spoke English made everything go smoothly for me. On both of my visits the one person who really stood out was Stephanie the Quality Assurance Manager. She was so helpful and friendly...she really is a asset to the hotel. I hope she had a great birthday on June 2nd. There is no doubt that the next time I come to Panama City I will stay at the Royal Sonesta. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I stayed in two different rooms at the Royal Sonesta and both were great, but the next time I will t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank michaeleubanks
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 12 May 2014

5 star ... what a laugh... I got there at 9`-30pm .. bar was closed... ridiculous noise from plant machinery in the hotel...breakfast all cold and pathetic service. keep away.... this place is dying a slow death and is run by amatuers with no knowledge of the hotel business

Room Tip: go to another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Georgio W
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 27 April 2014

All the good reviews are really true. We have been here 5 nights and got upgraded to a nice and spacious room with a good city view in a higher floor. The hotel is new and so are the rooms. Everything is perfectly clean. The rooms come with everything you need. Big king bed, 47" flat screen TV, spacious bathroom (also with city skyline views). The hotel has a gym and sauna and on the top floor terrace a small, but nice swimming pool with nice city views and sitting possibilities. The price is absolutely okay. The staff is all friendly and helpful. The location is perfect a it is right at Avenida Espana, where you can find many shops and restaurants. A big supermarket is right in front 5 minute walk too, where you can get everything. The metro station is also at Avenida Espana (Iglesia del Carmen) a 5 minute walk. Breakfast is okay, but not best in the world. Everything else is perfect. Absolutely recommendable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SwissTraveller1980
Stephannie T, Quality Assurance Manager at Eurostars Panama City, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear SwissTrav,

First of all we would like to thank you for your kind recommendation. We feel great that you have rate us as an excellent hotel. We try our best to give our guests anything they need to feel comfortable and get a unique experience. We will be more than pleased to have you again as our guest in your next visit to Panamá.
Best regards,