“Ok hotel, too expensive”

Tantalo Hotel / Kitchen / Roofbar
Ranked #43 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Nice boutique hotel, but the owner of this hotel believes because of the pricing he is in Miami. Popular while I was there but this will die off unless the prices of the bar come under control. The cover charge in the roof was too high. It do not buy bs that they need to charge to get better clients.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank SimonEat
There are newer reviews for Tantalo Hotel / Kitchen / Roofbar

Reviewed 22 July 2012

I went here once when it had first opened and they let us go up to the roofdeck for free. It's got a great view of the Panama City skyline and was a nice bar with a good cocktail menu. I went back a few months later, and now they are charging $5 for girls and $10 for guys just to go up to the roof (no drink included)!

A side note, there is an ATM available in the restaurant if you are looking for one.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ksd8y
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Location is what this hotel is all about. Set down smack in the middle of Casco Viejo in just outside Panama City, it provides a central location to explore not only the old city but restaurants and attractions as well. We spent 2 nights at this property and it is a bustling menage a trois of hotel, restaurant and club. I do not recommend if you are looking for serenity! Not for children, unless they are teenage children who don't mind hanging with their parents, albeit cool parents.

The lobby is also essentially the bar floor, anytime over the weekend you would not know it was a hotel, it is jammed with every chic and stylish individual in Panama (bring your party clothes), with a line up snaking through the lobby to get up to the coveted sky bar on the top floor, where, impossibly, people are almost more chic. Advantage of staying at the hotel, instant access, no lines, to the skybar. Auto cool factor. Much fun to meet people (if you speak Spanish).

The food is the best I have had in Panama City and we ate out constantly, and my companion who lives part time in Panama, was even surprised at the ingenuity. Good service.

The rooms are large and spacious, comfortable, A/C, bathrooms a bit small but not bad, wet bar, lounge, balcony. Decor is something to take pictures and write home about. Our room had a huge mural of a tiger head with a woman chained to his side, with matching throw pillows on the bed. I am still laughing.

The hotel is an interesting mix of someone that loved 4 different architectural styles and decided to put them all together, from the industrial lobby, coupled with spanish tiles, asian bamboo inspired bathrooms and art deco bedrooms. It doesn't mesh but its interesting and does not take away from the comfort, scene and food.

People- very friendly.

Parking- beware on the weekends, its tight and cramped and impossible. We made the hotel front desk park our car (no valet).

Enjoy, have fun, we would go back.

Room Tip: Mid level floor, too high and you hear the Sky Bar pounding, too low and you hear the lobby.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aritnom
TantaloHotel, Gerente at Tantalo Hotel / Kitchen / Roofbar, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Thank you for staying with us and being part of the Tantalo Experience!

We are glad to know you enjoyed our decoration, menu and ambiance... we are here to provide you with all the elements you need to make your stay absolutely memorable.

We would love to have you back soon! Please feel free to contact us for any special requests in your next visit.

Regards,

The Tantalo Team

Reviewed 16 July 2012

This hotel has incredible energy and a great vibe. It's very trendy and is a hot spot at night for locals and tourists. While the energy level may not be for everyone, I highly recommend this hotel for the hip clientele who like being in the middle of the action. The restaurant food is excellent and the rooftop bar has a swanky bar/club feel. The rooms are huge and have their own unique art. Being in Casco Viejo allows you to walk around the old city and get a feel for the restoration underway. The manager and service was exceptional. Overall, it's a great hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul S

Thank you for your positive comments; it´s great to know you felt such a great vibe here!

We look forward to your next visit soon, and we hope you will let us know if you have any special requests during your stay... we are always ready to make your stay an incredible experience!

All the best,

Reviewed 10 July 2012

This was my second trip to Panama, and in this opportunity I wanted find a place where I could have the perfect combination...a place where I could rest...get to know better the Casco Antiguo area...and where to party...so I decided to visit and follow a friend's recommendation...and to be honest this was the perfect choice.
When I was thinking about resting...I never imagine the comfort I found in the room of Tantalo!!! Its so spacious and with all the amenities you need. The best way to describe the comfort offered by room's bed is that it only reminds me of something...Morpheus hand!!! Because once you lay down...you will immediately fall asleep!!!
Tantalo's kitchen has a varied menu...with a very tasty and special touch!!! And the kitchen personal its very friendly and pleasant!!!
The very special touch Tantalo...I have to say is its Roofbar!!! Its view of the Panama city is just magnificent...and you try enjoy it having a Maracuya Mojito...is 100% recommended!!!
Saturday nights at the Tantalo Roofbar are just wonderful!!! In my case the Dj played just good and excelent set of music.
If you are looking for a recommendation...I fully recommend Tantalo Hotel to be your next spot where to stay in your next trip to Panama city.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

We are very happy to see that you found the comfort you were looking for, here at Tantalo! We are constantly trying to find new and interesting things to provide our guests and clients with, in order to make the best out of their stay! Thank you for your generous compliments.

We would love to have you back; our Kitchen menu and our signature drinks vary from time to time and there are still many other treats for you to enjoy!

Best regards,

Reviewed 9 July 2012

We picked Tantalo on a recommendation from a friend and from the good reviews on TripAdvisor, and were not disappointed. If you're looking for a fun spot right in the heart of the nightlife in Casco Viejo, Tantalo is perfect. It's very modern and hip, with a rooftop bar that's always active. The lobby restaurant is great as well, with a delicious breakfast included in the room rate. The rooms are very artsy and the one we stayed in (with the Bengal Tiger) was very large. Our only issue was that the water in the shower wouldn't stay warm, but the staff was exceptional and when told of our problems, they discounted our room. They were also very helpful in making arrangements in Panama City throughout our entire trip.
Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your compliments and for having stayed with us!

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that you would like to come back; please feel free to contact us for any special requests in your next visit, wether you need to make arrangements inside or outside the city or if you need any accomodation specifications... Tantalo will always be ready to welcome you back!

All the best,

Reviewed 23 June 2012

On a recent business trip to Panama, I wanted to avoid the 70-floor Trump (birther) Hotel or any of the other massive eyesores soaring up from the bay. Based on positive Trip Advisor reviews, I selected Tantalo, a funky boutique hotel with a “living wall” of plants in the lobby --the anti-Trump--located in Casco Antiguo, the colonial World Heritage site.

I booked a corner room with a balcony at $249/night and was given room 205. Remember room 205. Stylish with hip furniture and a trippy mural painted on the walls and ceiling, the room had no hot water for the four days I stayed there: not bone-chillingly cold, mind you, but breathtakingly frigid.

Complain I did. Every day. The staff (and I commend the hotel on their energetic and solicitous personnel) told me that maintenance was fixing the problem. It wasn’t until checkout that the manager informed me of the chronic plumbing problems that have plagued the corner suites since the hotel’s grand opening in March. And she confessed that not all the rooms suffered for lack of hot water: those lucky souls in rooms 202 & 204, cheaper rooms both, enjoyed unlimited hot bathing. Next time, she promised, I’d get to stay in one of those rooms.

Come again? I’d like to take this opportunity to officially commend myself for not ripping out the plants from the “live wall.” I was offered neither a discount nor a free granola bar from the mini bar.

I also feel it’s my duty to report significant inconveniences for the business traveler marooned in Casco Antiguo. For the next 3-5 years, as developers rehabilitate every dilapidated structure with a colonial façade, the zone will be one colossal construction site. No parking is available anywhere near the hotel and it’s difficult, sometimes impossible, to find a cab. If I wasn’t standing outside at the moment a colleague picked me up from the hotel, he was forced to take another 30-minute loop around the block. On Wednesday afternoon it took close to an hour (once I found a cab) to get to the nearest pharmacy.

I do want to give kudos to Tantalo for its cool vibe (excuse the pun), excellent Wi-Fi, a delightful roof bar with a wonderful view, and its delicious tapas-style communal dining in the lobby restaurant. I recommend the hotel (assuming you can get hot water) for leisure travelers looking for a hot, hip spot to party. But if you’re going to Panama on business, I’d avoid Casco Antiguo and stay somewhere else, but someplace other than the Trump.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank steve000001
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Dear steve000001,

Thank you very much for your compliments on the positive aspects you found at Tantalo; it is very important for us to give our guests an amazing experience and to have them come back.

In regards to your experience at Tantalo last week, we would like to apologize and make a few comments. During your stay we did our best effort in giving a quick and effective response to your comments and inconveniences related to the hot water issues. Our entire crew was aware of the problem and they all did their best to meet your needs and expectations, and specially to make you feel comfortable in spite of the problem, while we tried to solve it.
However, there are occasions where problem solving takes longer than we expect or want, for which we are very sorry.

We do apologize for not offering you a discount, but we truly hope you give us the chance to have you again as our guest, make up for the past inconveniences and provide you with excellent service, so you can fully enjoy staying with us. We hope to see you soon!

Best regards,