“Cool, but loud”

Ranked #36 of 114 Hotels in Panama City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Cool, but loud”
Reviewed 9 January 2013

This is a cool, stylish hotel. Our room had a Charles Bukowski theme, but was at the same time sleek and modern. The reception counter is right in the Tapas-style restaurant downstairs, which was bustling when we arrived at 11pm on a Friday. As we hadn't eaten, we were pleased that they served dinner until midnight, and had a late night menu until 3am. (Dinner was good and included several vegetarian options.) The downside was that the restaurant noise was quite audible in our room upstairs, as there is a large open space between them, including the two-storey "living wall". That's really our only criticism, and we were sufficiently tired that the noise didn't keep us up for long. The location in Casco Viejo is great, and, when the weather cooperates, the rooftop bar is a nice place for a drink.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Grecia S, Guest Relations Manager at Tantalo Hotel / Kitchen / Roofbar, responded to this review, 8 May 2015
Dear Onesimusmaximus,

Thank you very much for all your comments and for sharing your experience.

We are pleased that you enjoyed our different environments at Tantalo Hotel / Kitchen / Roofbar, always full of art, good vibes, good service and surprises for our customers.

Hope to see you soon to continue enjoying the beautiful Panama city with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
NYC
Reviewed 8 January 2013

If your staying in Casco Vijeo (the old city), this has got to be the place you
stay for a taste of the modern renovations going on throughout the area. It's a
super hip boutique hotel.
Upon arrival, I was greeted by two sweethearts Larissa and Rita to check me in.
They were so nice and pleasant I fell in love instantly. It was new years day
and in the early evening so the hotel was a bit quiet and calm. They gave me a
standard room but there was an air conditioning malfunction so they upgraded me
to the next size up room, the Tropicexotoca room. I loved it more than words can
describe.
I then tried a bite to eat from the restaurant before they closed and tried the
octopus with tomatoes. Also amazing. They let me experience the rooftop while I
ate my dinner. They went as far as opening the closed rooftop up for me as it
was not in operation for business. Larissa came upstairs with me and had her
staff turn on the lights and the music while I enjoyed my meal and fresh breezes
and waited for some friends to come by the hotel and check out this amazing
place.
When I returned to my room later that night I found an enormous cockroach in my
bathroom. I can understand this as there is a lot of excavating and digging
though out the neighborhood. I woke up at 7am and looked out from my balcony and
down below were a team of construction workers around a large hole in the
ground. Improvements are constantly being made to the area. If u can take all
the small inconveniences and see for yourself how special this hotel is, you
will not be disappointed.
Finally after checking out and trying to withdraw cash from the ATM I come to
find out my account has a fraud alert freeze on it. I seriously thought I was
stuck because we could not reach the 800 number from the hotel. Luckily Rita and
another guest helped me get on skype from my iPhone to make the phone call.
Tantalo left a special place in my heart during my visit to Panama.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Dear RichiefromBrooklyn,

Thank you very much for all your kind comments.

We like to hear that our staff did everything possible to make you feel special

Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I have stayed here twice and have enjoyed it both times. It is a welcoming, fun place on the edge of Casco Viejo, with a friendly bi-lingual staff. They will help arrange whatever you want or need in Panama City and even elsewhere in Panama. The restaurant's tapas menu is quite good and the wine selection is excellent and reasonably priced.The long communal tables are perfect for mingling with other guests. Drinks at the bars are well-priced and the rooftop is a great party scene. But the hotel rooms are the stars! Very artistically appointed, sleek and extremely comfortable. The only down-side is that the mini-bar prices are steep. Outside noises come in, but that is part of the charm of Casco Viejo.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room - pricier but worth the experience if you are staying for more than a night.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank hawkie2
Dear Hawkie2,

Thank you very much for all your kind comments.

Kennebunk, Maine
Reviewed 6 January 2013

My husband and I went for a few drinks at sundown on a Sunday night. Lovely breeze...nice views...good drinks. I had a mojito...my husband had a capirinia...both decent. The service was a little slow, but that's true of most of Panama City.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 4 January 2013

My husband and I traveled all around Panama but decided to stay in Casco Viejo for the first night before heading off to Boquete. We wanted the experience of staying in the historic district of Panama City and heeded everyone's advice of not going further north than 9th street. Since we booked our trip fairly late, there weren't that many available hotels in Casco since most don't have that many rooms. We decided to stay in Tantalo based on the reviews we had read. You enter the hotel through the restaurant and bar on the main floor. The hotel reception area is nothing more than a small area between the bar and the restaurant with enough space for a couple of people to stand by a podium style desk. Check in was quick and within a few minutes, we were in our room on the first floor. Our room was very spacious and nicely decorated although it looked directly over another building that was falling apart. About 60% of the buildings in Casco Viejo are being renovated as well as the streets themselves. When you walk in the streets, you have to wend your way through construction vehicles and scaffolding while skirting the pot holes. Two years earlier, we had been to Cartagena which has the largest and best preserved old city in Latin America. While Casco Viejo is much smaller and far more dilapidated, we could see that it has potential although it will take at least another five years for it to be really nice. The best part of Tantalo is the rooftop bar which overlooks the old city with beautiful views of the modern skyline of Panama City. It's a great place to relax and have a drink. The only real negative is that we never got our early wake up call because we had to catch a 7:00 A.M. flight to Boquete. Fortunately, we had set our I Phone alarms. However, we always like to have the hotel wake up call for "added insurance".

Room Tip: Rooms right off the elevator are quieter since the noise from the bar and restaurant can be easily h...
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Nicely renovated and decorated location right in the heart of Casco Viejo. At the time of visiting (15 Dec 12) the roof top terrace was closed during lunchtime. Tantalo has a varied menu which seems to be based on the ‘nouveau cuisine’ concept meaning the portions are small. The food is amazingly well presented though and is delicious. Wine list is well balanced between old and new world.

1 Thank Allard-Mark
Grecia S, Guest Relations Manager at Tantalo Hotel / Kitchen / Roofbar, responded to this review, 9 May 2015
Dear Allard-Mark,

Thank you very much for your comments.

We are pleased that you enjoyed our restaurant at Tantalo Hotel / Kitchen / Roofbar, always full of art, good vibes, good service and surprises for our customers.

We invite you to return and visit our diferents enviroments to enjoy some good drinks with the beautiful view that has our Roofbar

Reviewed 3 January 2013

I think it is only fair to warn people, as that is what Trip Advisor is for, that it is misleading calling Tantalo a hotel. The truth is that this is a happening restaurant and roof bar with 12 rooms as afterthoughts.

The hotel is beautiful, all style, but lacks many of the basics that are the makings of a good hotel.

For starters it is beyond loud, and as a hotel where one comes to sleep for the night I find that unacceptable. Especially for a hotel that will put you out over $200 a night.

We stayed here for two nights, first in room 12 (Beware of room 12...unless you like sleeping in a nightclub). We had a morning flight the next day and were exhausted but could not sleep until about 2 am because the room was unbearably loud. When I complained of the noise (twice) the lady at the desk acknowledged that others have complained and sent us to the manager. There were no other rooms so they offered to turn the music down a bit in the lobby bar. Not sure how that is a solution, as I'm sure the people in the lobby bar were enjoying the music and moreso that did absolutely nothing as the roof bar music was thumping over our heads making the adjustment down in volume (a minor one) of no help. We spoke to an older couple in the next room over and they said they needed earplugs to sleep.

The second night we stayed in room 5...MUCH better...but I also feel it was a much quieter night of the week so that might have contributed to the improvement. We came to this room and found little hairs in the sink and sand on the floor (we hadn't been to a beach). Probably oversights, as the linens seemed changed, but things like that make you wonder.

The rooms are lovely to look at, and location is good, so I don't want to make things seem bad. Breakfast is also phenomenal, as you can order off a menu fromthe restaurant and the food is delicious!

Wifi can be slow and unreliable, but I wouldn't say that is the make or break.

As someone said before, this is NOT the hotel for a business trip.

If you are looking to party and have a good time (and stay until the party ends) Tantalo is THE place to be in Casco Viejo. If, however, you value sleep and relaxation I reccomend Casa Del Horno just a few buildings over.

Room Tip: Room 12 is very very noisey!
1 Thank ESB22