“excellent overall”

Ranked #12 of 113 Hotels in Panama City
Lugano, Switzerland
“excellent overall”
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I stayed 9 days and never had a single issue with anything, except perhaps the elevators which sometimes take way long time to get to your floor. Excellent room and service. Giant walk in shower. Every member of staff will try hard to remember your name and say hello when you meet them. I cannot name them all, but special thanks to Eligio and Manuel who made good breakfast better. Nice pool, though being in between high rise buildings it doesn't get so much sun. Will go back.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
MariaVictoriaB_WA, Public Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Panama, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Dear Alberto_O,
It was wonderful to be your host during your recent stay in one of the newest gems in Latin America. We are delighted to have been able to accommodate your needs so well during your 9 days visit and hope we can do this again soon. Please consider this your home away from home.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Czech first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 30 April 2013

The Waldorf-Astoria Panama is one of the newest hotels in Panama City’s metro center. We enjoyed a short, one-night stay here before moving on to Playa Bonita. We should have stayed at the Waldorf! The property is slightly removed from the bay, which is unfortunate. I had hoped for a little better view from Hilton’s flagship brand than the scruffy residential towers that flank it, but the gorgeous interior and spacious Jr. Suite made up for the lack-luster vista.

Check-in was a tad epic. In their defense, I did arrive quite early (noon) and they were only operating with 40-50% of the property open for guest use as part of their pre-grand opening roll-out. My room wasn’t ready until well after three due to the previous guest’s late check-out. I made the most of this time by enjoying the mezzanine-level pool deck and lunching at the upscale bistro. Good food and great service, but be prepared to shell out some cabbage for it.

Finally, after exploring the options for getting my wife from the airport and evaluating the possibility of a trip to Gatun Locks, I decided to rent a car. The concierge graciously set me up with a rental at a good rate. One of the bellmen (Oliver, who is awesome) drove me over to get my rental in the hotel’s town car. The enigmatic 2km drive back to the hotel took me and hour and a half. Finally, I was steered in via cell phone by the hotel operator. Bring a GPS if you plan to drive!

After retrieving my wife from PTY, we enjoyed a reasonable rate on a car and driver to the Casco Viejo (I was done driving for the night!) and took the concierge’s recommendation on dinner at Tantalo. After dinner and a short walk through CV, the driver met us right on schedule and whisked us back to the hotel.

Customer service here is phenomenal. Accommodations are very comfortable and feature high quality furnishings. My only complaint is that they won’t call you a cab because they are concerned about customer service. Understandable, I suppose. But you can hail one yourself and the bellman will be happy to negotiate a rate for you. Or just spring the extra $$ for one of their hired town cars. It’s fun to splurge a little sometimes and the traffic can be terrible, so why not be comfy!

Dear g150driver,
It was great to have welcomed you to the newest landmark hotel in Latin America! Our goal is to provide our guests with a memorable experience showcasing our own True Waldorf Service - personalized attention such as what you’ve received during your stay. We are delighted to hear you were able to experience the sites around the city as well as some of our hotel amenities, such as our free car service based on availability.
We truly value each of our guests and we hope to have a chance to help you create more wonderful memories in one of the most vibrant cities in the continent. Please don't hesitate to stay with us again.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Just got back from a 3 night stay. Sorry no pictures. So I got a pretty decent rate here ($184) so I decided to give the hotel a shot, rather than do the Doubletree again. Sorry no pictures. Good location, 1 block off Balboa Avenue and by a bunch of restaurants and nightclubs. Smallish hotel. Reminded me very much of a W brand property.

Very warm welcome as a Diamond member, with a long, handwritten note in my room. But no Diamond room upgrade which is how my preferences are set. The hotel didn't seem that full. One way I judge this is by how many rooms on my floor have newspapers out in the morning. On my floor, only about half. But on the other hand, I never asked for an upgrade. Room 1502, nice view through the many high rise buildings. Average size room with a large and very modern bathroom. Salvatore Ferragamo soaps and shampoos. Lots of little push buttons for the lights, Welcome button by the door turned everything on. Privacy button made the doorbell outside the room red in place of a do not disturb sign. Service button changed the doorbell to green for housekeeping. Good night button by the bed turned everything off. Nice big flatscreen on the wall. Controls on the remote so I could switch the source to my laptop so I could watch DVDs I brought. 50+ channels on the TV, several in English. Very little storage space for clothes. 4 very little drawers that barely held t-shirts and socks. Minifridge with soft drinks and beer. Several pint (I think) bottles of hard liquor as well.

Nice but small outdoor pool and hot tub with full bar. Didn't go into the spa, but it looked very nice. Better gym than most properties, but dumbells stopped at 50lbs. 6 new weight machines and lots of cardio machines. Free bottled water in the gym which I took advantage of every day.

Lobby bar was dead every night. Did lunch in the Bistro and had the small tacos al pastor (very good) and the tuna nicoise bruschetta (also good). Had sushi at the sushi restaurant. Good and a good value. But 4 pages of the menu was "coming soon!". Never hit the bar. Note to future guests: The elevator that takes you to your room DOES NOT make a stop at the restaurant or lounge. You need to use the other elevator by the front desk.

They did have a free car service that took me to a restaurant a couple blocks away (I would have walked, but they couldn't figure out how to show me where to go) and to a supermarket for some wine and water. Tipped the driver. Late model town car and brand new Lincoln MKT.

Nice little bag of Panamanian ground coffee as a departure gift.

Was it worth the $$ premium over the Doubletree? Not sure. Probably if I got a room upgrade like I did at the Doubletree. Staff was great.

BTW, if you want a GREAT restaurant 3 blocks away, try La Trona. Fantastic!

3 Thank ChicagoWineGeek
Dear ChicagoWineGeek,
It is great to read such detailed comments. We really value our guests’ comments and we work hard to give each of you the best personalized service we can provide - our own True Waldorf Service. We are glad you were able to enjoy many of our amenities and room features as well as the local vicinity in this vibrant part of Panama City. We look forward to seeing you again and making your visit even more memorable. Please consider this your second home.
Minneapolis, United States
Reviewed 25 April 2013

The staff and their service was the ultimate. It was the best service from Mr. Landero, Lille, Gian Yammey , and Moises. It was the best service I have had staying anywhere in the world in the last ten years. I would stay at the hotel for a year if I could afford it. It was a wonderful experience. You have great people! I have already told at least 30 people how much we loved our stay. Ron & Julie Berg

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

1 Thank H Ronald B
Dear H Ronald B,
Thank you for choosing Waldorf Astoria Panama and for allowing us to accommodate your needs. It is great to hear that you’ve enjoyed your time with us and had the chance to experience our own True Waldorf Service, more so that you remembered some of our staff members who helped make this possible. We hope you’ll have the chance to visit us again soon and hopefully stay just a little longer.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Nice brand new hotel in a great neighborhood in Panama City, walking distance to restaurants and Le Meridien and InterContinental. Just opened so everything is brand new. The staff is awesome and so helpful and courteous!! I truly enjoyed my stay!

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

1 Thank Barbara M
Dear Barbara M,
Waldorf Astoria hotels thrive on great service keeping you in mind first, and we are glad you were able to experience this. We hope to host you again during your next stay in Panama and help you create more fond memories.
CA
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights before flying off to David and then another 2 nights for our last leg of the trip. The beds are very comfortable, hotel is clean and new. The staff are extremely nice. They kept our luggage for us in between stay. Everything is new and sparking. Since it was a new property, we had some electrical issues with the room ie the AC was not working properly and we had to switch room. There were some billing issues as well but other than that, the staff were very helpful and always greet you with a smile. They had limited rooms with ocean view but we didn't mind that since we were out most of the day. They had lots of restaurants within walking distance. We walked to La Posta and Habibi restaurants. Be sure to negotiate cab ride fares prior to going in the cab. Cab rides to Casco Viejo is between $3 to $5. Cab ride to Albrook airport about $4. Cab ride to Tocumen is about $30-35 and to the Causeway is about $10 (we paid $20 each way but later found out from a local that it should have been $10).

Room Tip: The double queen beds room was bigger than the king room with bigger bathroom as well.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank brigdo
Dear brigdo (CA),
It is great to read your thoughts and comments as we are always looking for ways to improve our service across the board. We are sorry to hear about the few issues with the room and as always, we will find a way to make your future stays comfortable and memorable ones. We hope to see you again soon and help you discover new ventures within the city !
Weston, Florida
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Following the tradition of high standards of a Waldorf hotel, this is a beautiful place, very well located, and with a very friendly and professional staff. The rooms are confortable and the beds will provide you the rest you need after a long day at work or play. I definitely plan to return.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view - high floor.
5 Thank LATAM_TIPS
Dear LATAM_TIPS,
Thank you for your thoughts and for visiting us; we loved having you! We hope to share more experiences with you and allow you to experience the True Waldorf Service. Let us know of your next travel plans!