“Surprised !”

Waldorf Astoria Panama
Ranked #13 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Stayed for the second time this month in this hotel in Panamá City. Great service , excellent rooms and very good location!
We used the Spa which is very pretty en very good treatments. The beauty salon also.
The hotel has a car which serviced us every time we needed, very attentive .
The hotel is new, they pay attention in every detail to make guests feel pampered.

Room Tip: Junior suites are superb!!! Those having ocean view better.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
MariaVictoriaB_WA, Public Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Panama, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Dear Marila V:
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your thoughts. It is wonderful to read your stay was memorable and you were able to experience our personalized service.
We hope you were able to enjoy all of our amenities during your stay. We will always be glad to welcome you in any of your future stays in Panama City.

There are newer reviews for Waldorf Astoria Panama

Reviewed 10 May 2013

The WA is a brand new hotel in Panama City, an interesting Central American boom town. The hotel has its quirks, and as it has only been open two months it is still going through some growing pains.

Overall, the service is very good, and when it came up short the staff were still well meaning and trying very hard. For example, the concierge was never around so I had to rely on the check-in staff (none of whom seemed to be older than 22 years) for help navigating the city. The staff were full of great suggestions for restaurants and the like, but utterly clueless when it came to showing me where these places were on a map.

The rooms are very nice, what one would expect from the storied Waldorf Astoria brand. The gym is large with a good assortment of machines although the pool is for show only. The breakfast buffet was also very good.

I did have a few problems with my room however. One, and this is a mortal design sin in my book, the AC vents blew directly onto the top of the bed which led to a poor sleep. Two, the wi-fi speed was very slow. Three, the curtains were too small for the window so in the morning the sun came streaming in at dawn. When I brought this to the staff's attention, they very graciously deducted my internet charge from my bill.

One other quirk is that the hotel is tucked down a side street so very few taxis drive by. The hotel has a hotel car which is always in high demand, or some very expensive private cars for hire outside.

I still would stay here again as I do not believe there is any other 5 star accommodation in Panama.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Gearhead85
mntd, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Panama, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

Dear Gearhead85,
We are delighted to read your comments about your recent stay with us as we believe this type of comments will help us to serve our clients better.
Our main goal is to provide a great level of service and we are glad to learn through this comments that we’ve achieve this during your stay. Be sure that your comments on transportation as well as the room will be noted and addressed with our staff. We hope we have the pleasure to welcome you again on your next visit and be able to serve you better.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

After staying at the Trump , the Bristol and the Intercontinental , the Waldorf Astoria turned out to be the best experience in Panama City, with amazing personalized service. Perfectly located next to business , restaurants and night life.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
MariaVictoriaB_WA, Public Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Panama, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Dear Matt and Ariana,
How wonderful to read about your recent stay with us. It was a real pleasure to host you while you were in Panama City and even more that we were able to make your stay something to remember. Our service is one of a kind and we have paid close attention to details when designing this home away from home for our guests. We are particularly happy to read you remembered one of our Team Members and pointed out his name. Personalized service is our primary goal and we hope we have distinguished ourselves in that. Always remember that we are here for you during your next visit to Panama City so we can provide more great memories.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

I stayed 9 days and never had a single issue with anything, except perhaps the elevators which sometimes take way long time to get to your floor. Excellent room and service. Giant walk in shower. Every member of staff will try hard to remember your name and say hello when you meet them. I cannot name them all, but special thanks to Eligio and Manuel who made good breakfast better. Nice pool, though being in between high rise buildings it doesn't get so much sun. Will go back.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
MariaVictoriaB_WA, Public Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Panama, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Dear Alberto_O,
It was wonderful to be your host during your recent stay in one of the newest gems in Latin America. We are delighted to have been able to accommodate your needs so well during your 9 days visit and hope we can do this again soon. Please consider this your home away from home.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

The Waldorf-Astoria Panama is one of the newest hotels in Panama City’s metro center. We enjoyed a short, one-night stay here before moving on to Playa Bonita. We should have stayed at the Waldorf! The property is slightly removed from the bay, which is unfortunate. I had hoped for a little better view from Hilton’s flagship brand than the scruffy residential towers that flank it, but the gorgeous interior and spacious Jr. Suite made up for the lack-luster vista.

Check-in was a tad epic. In their defense, I did arrive quite early (noon) and they were only operating with 40-50% of the property open for guest use as part of their pre-grand opening roll-out. My room wasn’t ready until well after three due to the previous guest’s late check-out. I made the most of this time by enjoying the mezzanine-level pool deck and lunching at the upscale bistro. Good food and great service, but be prepared to shell out some cabbage for it.

Finally, after exploring the options for getting my wife from the airport and evaluating the possibility of a trip to Gatun Locks, I decided to rent a car. The concierge graciously set me up with a rental at a good rate. One of the bellmen (Oliver, who is awesome) drove me over to get my rental in the hotel’s town car. The enigmatic 2km drive back to the hotel took me and hour and a half. Finally, I was steered in via cell phone by the hotel operator. Bring a GPS if you plan to drive!

After retrieving my wife from PTY, we enjoyed a reasonable rate on a car and driver to the Casco Viejo (I was done driving for the night!) and took the concierge’s recommendation on dinner at Tantalo. After dinner and a short walk through CV, the driver met us right on schedule and whisked us back to the hotel.

Customer service here is phenomenal. Accommodations are very comfortable and feature high quality furnishings. My only complaint is that they won’t call you a cab because they are concerned about customer service. Understandable, I suppose. But you can hail one yourself and the bellman will be happy to negotiate a rate for you. Or just spring the extra $$ for one of their hired town cars. It’s fun to splurge a little sometimes and the traffic can be terrible, so why not be comfy!

Dear g150driver,
It was great to have welcomed you to the newest landmark hotel in Latin America! Our goal is to provide our guests with a memorable experience showcasing our own True Waldorf Service - personalized attention such as what you’ve received during your stay. We are delighted to hear you were able to experience the sites around the city as well as some of our hotel amenities, such as our free car service based on availability.
We truly value each of our guests and we hope to have a chance to help you create more wonderful memories in one of the most vibrant cities in the continent. Please don't hesitate to stay with us again.

Reviewed 26 April 2013

Just got back from a 3 night stay. Sorry no pictures. So I got a pretty decent rate here ($184) so I decided to give the hotel a shot, rather than do the Doubletree again. Sorry no pictures. Good location, 1 block off Balboa Avenue and by a bunch of restaurants and nightclubs. Smallish hotel. Reminded me very much of a W brand property.

Very warm welcome as a Diamond member, with a long, handwritten note in my room. But no Diamond room upgrade which is how my preferences are set. The hotel didn't seem that full. One way I judge this is by how many rooms on my floor have newspapers out in the morning. On my floor, only about half. But on the other hand, I never asked for an upgrade. Room 1502, nice view through the many high rise buildings. Average size room with a large and very modern bathroom. Salvatore Ferragamo soaps and shampoos. Lots of little push buttons for the lights, Welcome button by the door turned everything on. Privacy button made the doorbell outside the room red in place of a do not disturb sign. Service button changed the doorbell to green for housekeeping. Good night button by the bed turned everything off. Nice big flatscreen on the wall. Controls on the remote so I could switch the source to my laptop so I could watch DVDs I brought. 50+ channels on the TV, several in English. Very little storage space for clothes. 4 very little drawers that barely held t-shirts and socks. Minifridge with soft drinks and beer. Several pint (I think) bottles of hard liquor as well.

Nice but small outdoor pool and hot tub with full bar. Didn't go into the spa, but it looked very nice. Better gym than most properties, but dumbells stopped at 50lbs. 6 new weight machines and lots of cardio machines. Free bottled water in the gym which I took advantage of every day.

Lobby bar was dead every night. Did lunch in the Bistro and had the small tacos al pastor (very good) and the tuna nicoise bruschetta (also good). Had sushi at the sushi restaurant. Good and a good value. But 4 pages of the menu was "coming soon!". Never hit the bar. Note to future guests: The elevator that takes you to your room DOES NOT make a stop at the restaurant or lounge. You need to use the other elevator by the front desk.

They did have a free car service that took me to a restaurant a couple blocks away (I would have walked, but they couldn't figure out how to show me where to go) and to a supermarket for some wine and water. Tipped the driver. Late model town car and brand new Lincoln MKT.

Nice little bag of Panamanian ground coffee as a departure gift.

Was it worth the $$ premium over the Doubletree? Not sure. Probably if I got a room upgrade like I did at the Doubletree. Staff was great.

BTW, if you want a GREAT restaurant 3 blocks away, try La Trona. Fantastic!

3  Thank ChicagoWineGeek

Dear ChicagoWineGeek,
It is great to read such detailed comments. We really value our guests’ comments and we work hard to give each of you the best personalized service we can provide - our own True Waldorf Service. We are glad you were able to enjoy many of our amenities and room features as well as the local vicinity in this vibrant part of Panama City. We look forward to seeing you again and making your visit even more memorable. Please consider this your second home.

Reviewed 25 April 2013

The staff and their service was the ultimate. It was the best service from Mr. Landero, Lille, Gian Yammey , and Moises. It was the best service I have had staying anywhere in the world in the last ten years. I would stay at the hotel for a year if I could afford it. It was a wonderful experience. You have great people! I have already told at least 30 people how much we loved our stay. Ron & Julie Berg

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
1  Thank H Ronald B

Dear H Ronald B,
Thank you for choosing Waldorf Astoria Panama and for allowing us to accommodate your needs. It is great to hear that you’ve enjoyed your time with us and had the chance to experience our own True Waldorf Service, more so that you remembered some of our staff members who helped make this possible. We hope you’ll have the chance to visit us again soon and hopefully stay just a little longer.