“exceptional”

Ranked #16 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 3 August 2013

The hotel is back from balboa a couple of blocks so the entrance is less than glamorous. Once inside its a new ballgame. All up to date. Rooms are well laid out and beds super comfortable. All the normal stuff coffee phones desk etc. Bath is really well designed with great shower. Try this one.

Room Tip: Above 15 facing bay
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
AKorngold, Director of Business Development at Waldorf Astoria Panama, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear chris 106Florida,

Thanks for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Panama.

We are glad to hear that you had an exceptional stay with us.

Please let us know whenever your plans bring you back to Panama City. We will be really honoured to have you again witn us.

Best regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,357)

Reviewed 1 August 2013

The Waldorf is truly a terrific hotel. The service was spectacular and the facilities were terrific. I was torn between staying at the Hard Rock v. the Waldorf. No question - we made the right call by staying at the Waldorf. We went over to the Hard Rock one night and if you want Vegas, with lots of security staring at you, go to the Hard Rock.

The Waldorf is about 1 to 2 blocks away from a number of interesting restaurants and bars. It was always easy to get a taxi and the gym was very nice, for a hotel. We had an ocean view room on the 13th floor which was perfect.

The only odd thing about the hotel is the pool area is spectacular. However, it is never busy. It doesn't get much sun but during the day the pool area was empty. They have a bar near the pool but it was empty. The views are fantastic around the pool so I was looking forward to a little activity on the pool deck.

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view room on the 13th floor or higher.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MinnesotaPat

Dear MinnesotaPat,

Thanks a lot for your kind words about your recent stay with us.

These are the comments that help us reinforce our service culture.

We look forward to having you here soon again.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Stayed in Panama City for three days and had an enjoyable experience in the Waldorf Astoria. I really liked the helpfulness of the staff and the remarkable facilities. Bed was comfy, as were the pillows.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Nowicka

Dear Nowicka,

We would like to apologize for the delay in responding to your review.

We are glad to read that your recent stay in our 1st Waldorf Astoria in Latin America was a great one.

We look forward to having you again with us so you can confirm that our property is your home away from home while in Panama City.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

This place is nice. New, clean, very nice, attentive staff. But I'm a business traveler, and right now is's 10:30 at night, I have meetings all day tomorrow starting at 8:30am, and the bumping base at the empty pool party right outside my room is downright ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I party with the best of them, but for a luxury hotel on a "school night" this is totally unacceptable. I guess the mgmt needs to figure out what they are going for, the cool party scene on a Wednesday night, or guests. I travel to Panama City 3-4 times per month and was considering making this my regular hotel, but I don't think that's a good idea until the mgmt gets this right.

• Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank Essay11

Dear Essay11,

We would like to apologize for the delay in responding to your email and at the same time we would like to thank you for letting us know about your frustration while staying in our hotel.

we never take this type of comments lightly and because of that we will definitely consider what events are we hosting in our public areas from now on.

We appreciate your honesty and also hope we have the opportunity of having you back with us soon.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

I would not call this hotel especially luxurious at all. It's fine, modern, rooms are clean (but that would be expected given how new the hotel is). Staff were friendly, but during my stay they were not clear about the extra amenities offered to Hilton Gold members. The lobby and pool area were deserted, so there really was no opportunity to hang out and meet anyone - no social scene. They also quoted two different prices for car service to the airport, and ended up charging me the more expensive rate (which was twice what I would have paid from a normal taxi flagged on the street). In summary, really nothing special.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Baby61212

Dear Baby6 12 12,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your review.

We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know how do you feel about your recent stay. We will be looking carefully at all and every point you mentioned so we can avoid them from happening again.

We hope you give us a second opportunity if at any time you plan to come back to Panama City, it'll be our honour to show you that we can certainly do it better.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

After arranging an airport transfer to the Waldorf, we were impressed that the driver was waiting for us - despite our considerable flight delay. This gave us an immediately positive view of what was to come on our 4 night stay at the Waldorf.

Upon arrival, the hotel had a very welcoming and open feel, despite being located in a small, messy road behind other buildings facing the sea. The staff were all very friendly and efficient, and our room (Junior Suite) was lovely - despite appearing somewhat bigger on pictures on the website than in real life (this might have been my eyes of course!).

However, our suite had some sort of leak in the piping in the A/C unit that meant a loud/constant running water noise, and so I contacted the reception to ask for the issue to be resolved. They arranged for maintenance to look at it, who concluded that it could not be fixed until the following day. After asking for us to be moved rooms to ensure a decent night sleep on our first night, I was amazed that all we were offered was a DOWN GRADE of room. I understand that there may not have been an equivalent room available, but when that happens, 5 star hotels are supposed to ensure they do everything they can to make their customers happy – i.e. a night in an upgraded room. So we were forced to endure a sleepless night. Ridiculous.

Anyway, we did move rooms to another junior suite for the remainder of our stay, and it was wonderful. The deep soak bath, large bed and the very thoughtful housekeeping staff made it a very enjoyable time. We arranged for the hotel to provide transport to the old Panama City, the Mall and to Gamboa Rainforest Resort – and these were efficiently and comfortable.

We used the hotel restaurant(s) throughout our stay, and the food was outstanding. Despite the breakfast buffet being limited, it is still of a high quality. Ordering breakfast from the menu was also a winner, as the quality of food was excellent.

Upon checkout, I would recommend that you take care in ensuring you get the hotel rate you have arranged. We had booked our rooms on the understanding that a $50 credit per night would be provided once we checked out and it was not until I raised the fact that this was not included on our bill, that the issue was resolved. However, this may have been an oversight. We had a delayed flight back home, and so were able to receive a late check-out from reception, albeit after a number of calls from our room. Despite this, the hotel has a lovely business centre where we could relax while we waited to head to the airport.

Overall, this IS a luxury hotel, despite what a small number of other reviewers have stated. However, 5* luxury includes high level service and despite the staff of this hotel demonstrating serious care and attention to us, there is still work that needs to be done (room upgrades, not having to chase reception for an upgrade, ensuring accurate room rates etc). But I think they will get there.

Well done the Waldorf Astoria Panama!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark2211
AKorngold, Director of Business Development at Waldorf Astoria Panama, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Dear Mark2211,

First of all, we would like to apologize for the delay in answering your review.

We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your recent stay with us was.

We are constantly working in polishing those details that can always make our guests' experiences much better ones.

We are looking forward to having you back with us soon so we can prove that you were right when you said that we ARE a luxury hotel.

Andres Korngold
Director of Business Development

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I recently spent a week in beautiful Panama City at this beautiful hotel. My stay was very frustrating by the lack of hotel concierge and housekeeping follow through. I had been emailed confirmation regarding transportation from the hotel and a trip to the Panama Canal the next day. No one was there to meet me at the airport. After taking a random taxi, I arrived with the confirmation in my hand and was given neither an apology nor explanation. A female concierge manager tried to provide a joking attitude and change the confirmed trips the had said they had booked for me. It was apparent that she had not booked any of the tours that she had sent a confirmation letter. Luckily I visited during the "low" season and was referred by another concierge to a fantastic tour guide who saved my trip. The Bristo restaurant waiter was fantastic. The food OK but not 5 star. The pool was small with a great view between the condos. The hotel room itself was new. The shower had a large glass window above the bed on the other side with no privacy shade. The hot water took forever to warm up! I had 2 pairs of slippers that were the same size-small. The housekeeping was inconsistent because sometimes I got face clothes and sometimes I didn't. I also never knew when I was going to get a bottle of water or the bed turned down The bed was comfortable but the room was very noisy with the elevator going all night long. The staff took the main guest elevator and not the service elevator. The hotel staff really needs some better training and accountability. Will I go back to Panama? ABSOLUTELY! Will I stay at the Waldorf? NOPE

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank LAN1130

Dear LAN1130,

Thanks a lot for your review and our apologies for sending such delayed response.

We really appreciate you taking the time to send us such detailed information about your stay with us.

This type of comments are the ones that help us improve on daily basis and that is why we are diligently working on getting better every day.

We hope you can give us a new opportunity during you next visit to Panama City so we can show you that you comments were indeed important and helped us to improve our service.

Andres Korngold