“Love this hotel!”

Ranked #13 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
Louisville, Kentucky
“Love this hotel!”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We love this hotel! Everyone from the doorman to the concierge is more than friendly and helpful. You will feel at home instantly. The hotel decor is beautiful and the rooms and bathrooms are wonderful. They thought of everything when they designed the rooms! Great beds too! Hotel Location is excellent, and we couldn't have made a better choice!

Room Tip: We LOVE the rooms! Any of them in this hotel would be great!
1 Thank Hryt
MariaVictoriaB_WA, Public Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Panama, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Hryt,
We are truly happy to have welcomed you to a comforting experience during your recent stay in the city. It is the little things that you write about in your review that set us apart and help guests like you feel at home. We hope to welcome you again soon and continue to provide you with the comfort and service you deserve.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Czech first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This is a new hotel in the middle of the city. Upon arrival we were moved to a better room/apartment and that was very nice. Even though the apt is new, the carpet was ripped, the lamps tilted, the faucet in the kitchen spraying water everywhere. The main issue I have with this hotel is that the staff is not organized and does not seem to be as friendly. For example, one night a bar manager broke a glass and spilled beer over us. She was very apologetic but did not even offer to buy the beer for us. We did not say anything but got our clothes cleaned for free after asking. The main issue was with the excursions. The concierge contacted us by email prior to the trip to make arrangements. I tried doing so online upon her suggestion but that did not work. I wrote an email to her asking about specific tours and an airport transfer but did not hear from her until I approached her upon my arrival at the hotel. I did not know if I was going to be picked up at the airport or not because this service was not confirmed nor I was given instructions. I travel extensively and looked for my name at the exit of the airport and found a gentleman holding a sign with my name. This service was charged to our room. The other tours (Old City on Sunday and Panama Canal on Monday) were never confirmed and screwed up. They tried to do both tours in one day and only at the end of the second day I was given a price of almost 400$ for both tours. The tour wanted us to pay then but we refused. After returning to the hotel I confronted the concierge. She said she would take care of it. I returned from vacation last night to find an email in which she wants to charge us 288$ for the tour. We are still dealing with this issue.
The whole experience has left a sour taste for us. For this reason we would not recommend this hotel. Getting everything confirmed and written before hand if you stay here.

1 Thank pjcjr68
MariaVictoriaB_WA, Public Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Panama, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear ChicagoB_and_B_fans,
Warm greetings from Panama City and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your thoughts on your recent stay. Your feedback is important to us and will help us improve our service and amenities. We are sorry to hear about the issues you faced with the tours. Your comments will be addressed with our staff, and we hope to get that resolved for you soon. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.

We hope to have a chance to welcome you again and provide you with the services and amenities you deserve.
florida
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We were there for Christmas Eve this year 2013. The place is beautiful. Now I don't stay at WA often, so I don't have much to compare it to. I was there with my wife and 2 small girls. My girls loved the gingerbread house and the staff told them to help themselves to the cookies on the house (which kept getting refilled each time they took some).
As for the staff, they are super nice. Very helpful. Made various dining & sights suggestions. Top notch staff.
As for the room, it was spotless. Some have said 'cold and soul-less'. But it was white and clean. What more could I ask from a hotel room? It has everything we needed. Even robes and slippers.
People here complained about the pool being small. My opinion is that is is a nice, clean outdoor pool at the top of a building IN A CITY. Really? people complained about the fact that people from other buildings can see into the pool. If you are so self conscious about yourself, son't go to a public pool. The pool had ample seating & outdoor bar. Its nice.
The only negative was that internet wasn't included, $12 a day for that. And of course its a WA, so expect WA prices for the food (which was good).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Tabascov,
Thank you for your comments and for allowing us to welcome you during your recent visit to Panama City. It is wonderful to know you enjoyed your time with us and found your room, services and amenities to your liking. It is our goal to give you the top-notch accommodations you seek from a great hotel, but more importantly, to offer you the best in first class service. We hope to see you again during your next trip to Panama.
Dallas, United States
Reviewed 29 December 2013

The staff was very friendly and the hotel was clean and quiet. It was about a 15 minute walk to the nicer casinos and a very short walk to the waterfront boardwalk/strand, which was very nice to walk. There was a disco/club close by that was noisy on the week-end so bring ear plugs if you go on Friday or Saturday night.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear Shalene,
Thank you for allowing us to host you during your recent stay, but even more importantly, your feedback, as we know it helps us get better at serving our costumers.
It is true we are located in a part of the city, and we are sorry to read you were affected by the noise coming from one of the clubs nearby. We will address this issue with the appropriate parties and hope we can get it resolved as soon as possible. We truly hope to see you again during your next visit to Panama City.
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I have to say, I loved it. The hotel is smaller in size, we did get a great room, the coffee and water in the room - 1st quality. The beds are too soft for me, so probably it would be a problem for me for longer stay. But... We did have a balcony! And the customer service - they really try hard. I would not say it`s 1st class, as at the registration we did have to wait for our room over 1 hour (we came at 4:00PM, so it was a bit of a surprise to me to wait that long... I would expect this to happen at noon or 1:00PM). However, they did make it up - I have never experienced any other hotel chain that would allow you to use their facilities after check-out! Great that you can take a shower before going to the airport! The hotel is in a great location to restaurants, so no problem in the evening.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Daeena
Dear Daeena,
Thank you for allowing us to host you during your recent visit to Panama and providing us with your feedback, as we feel it will help our staff get better. We are sorry for the delays in the check-in process and all other inconveniences during your stay. We will address these with our staff and review what went wrong. We truly hope to welcome you again during your next visit to the city and help you create new wonderful memories.
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I have stayed in many Waldorf Astorias and this is not even close to meeting the expectation that this brand has established. The staff tries very hard but they do not hit the mark and so many things are lacking the quality that you would expect. The pool is small and it is next to several high rise buildings so do not expect to have any privacy.
I would not return to this hotel and hope that the new Hilton being built in the neighborhood does a better job.

Dear 09876eat,
We are so sorry you did not have a good experience during your stay. We can assure you that our number one goal is to offer our guests the best attention and memorable experiences.
We would appreciate the opportunity to change your perception of us and our staff members. We are certain we can offer you the service and attention you deserve - we are at your service always.
Weymouth, MA
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This is definitely not up to Waldorf standards. You'll see from the moment you pull up to the hotel.

Lobby - The lobby is underwhelming and small. There is absolutely no sense of luxury. The finishes are cheap and the quality is poor. The front desk and concierge seemed poorly trained and confused at times.

FIRST ROOM
Room - We first got a "one bedroom" suite. It would have been a nice room, except it wasn't a one bedroom. The "bedroom" (WA's term, not mine) was missing two walls and a door, so it was basically just part of a larger room.

Bathroom - The bathroom had no door. This would have been ok, except the toilet area didn't have a door either. You could sit on the throne, see through the bedroom, through the living room and out the window. I'm older now, but I was young once and I still wouldn't have been ok with people in the room (yes, incl. my wife) seeing me on the toilet. Also, the shower bar fell off and hit my wife on the foot.

Kitchenette - Nice touch, but the cupboard was falling out of the wall!

Well, I complained and they moved us to the.....

SECOND ROOM
This was a Penthouse. However, it was more of the same. Still no doors to bathrooms or toilet areas. Windows were filthy, they were never cleaned after construction. Air conditioning in the bedroom didn't work and it was close to 90F, so they moved us to the.......

THIRD ROOM
This was a two bedroom Penthouse. Well, the bedrooms had doors, so now we were getting somewhere! Once you're in the bedrooms, the bathrooms and toilet areas had no doors (of course), but there were only two of us, so it worked. No dishes or silverware in the kitchenette. The only other thing that was annoying with this room was the air conditioning. It sounded like a tornado going through! When it was on, you had to almost yell to be heard.

The most troubling thing was the staff left the balcony door wide open one day. My wife had locked it (she's from the Bronx and always makes sure everything is locked when we leave). We hadn't even been out there, so I'm not sure why they even went out there.

RESTAURANT
Ginger - We had dumplings, pakora shrimp, Mongolian beef and Thai lobster. The food was very bland. Supposed to be a nice restaurant, but very disappointing.

POOL
It was on the 7th floor or so. No idea why they'd put it so low. Had a view of the high rises across the street. Not very nice.

SERVICE
Totally hit or miss, but it never got close to what I expect from a WA.

The long and short of it is this hotel should not be a WA. The location, physical properties, service and food all fall very short of being 4 star, let alone 5 star.

TIP - Use the cabs from the street and save 75% over the hotel taxis. Used about 15-20 street taxis during our stay and never, ever had an issue. All drivers were very nice, patient and knowledgeable.

Dear BradnSue,
Thank you for allowing us to welcome you during your recent visit to Panama City, but more importantly for providing us with a well detailed account of your thoughts and experiences.
We appreciate your feedback, which will be addressed with our staff as we feel it can only help us be better. It is great to hear our staff was able to accommodate you into better rooms after the few inconveniences. Please feel free to contact us directly with any further thoughts or inquiries about your visit. We hope to be able to accommodate you during your next visit and help you create better memories.