“very nice hotel !”

Waldorf Astoria Panama
Ranked #16 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Very nice and luxury hotel. Wide an perfect rooms. Staff extremely nice and efficient. Location of the hotel is also perfect, 5 minutes by walk from the ocean front and in couple of minutes from the Bank District.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Patrice L
MariaVictoriaB_WA, Public Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Panama, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2014

Dear Patrice L,
Thank you for your thoughts and allowing us to welcome you during your visit to Panama. We are delighted to have been able to provide you with a pleasant stay and hope we can do so again in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,350)

Reviewed 25 July 2014

My dad and I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria Panama for 7 days, and the service was impeccable! From the hotel car service, to the bell hops, to breakfast, to the front desk — the stay met expectations. The only small problem we had was the A/C unit had a small leak but it wasn't anything major; however, I hope they are able to resolve the problem because the rooms, staff, workout facility, spa, and location make this a world-class destination.

They also work with a great tour guide company, PNB! The people of Panama are great and if you see the city, you might end up wanting to stay well beyond your vacation.

If I had to name everybody at the hotel that helped to make my first visit to Panama remarkable, I'd need to make separate posts. The Waldorf Astoria is 'that good'!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rauland S
MariaVictoriaB_WA, Public Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Panama, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2014

Dear Rauland S,
Thank you for allowing us to welcome you to the city during your recent stay. We are happy to read you found our amenities and service to your liking. Thank you for our valuable feedback. We will be addressing these items with the appropriate staff as we feel we can always do better. We hope your future travels allow us to welcome you again and help you create wonderful memories.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We had to change rooms 4 times in a week, problems with the air conditioning, pipes bursting, water flowing. Staff tried very hard to be helpful. However, the hotel car service dropped us off for a trip in Gamboa and sent another driver to pick us up after our trip. The driver sent to pick us up went to another boat dock in Gamboa, which left us ultimately locked out of our boat dock at the end of a dirt road. Fortunately a young woman had pity on us being in such a dangerous place and took us to the police station, which was closed but she called the hotel and had them meet us at this police station. Should never happen, this is something the hotel must address as it is a safety issue.
While the pipes were leaking in one of our rooms we tried the restaurant Ginger. We were the only 2 people in the restaurant and our food was cold. How could that be? We were also charged for items from the mini bar that we never used. FYI, the car service from the hotel is priced vastly differently than a yellow cab (for example the hotel car services charges $30 for a trip to Panama Viejo and I got a yellow cab for $4).
Now I would like to tell you the good things about the hotel. The breakfast buffet and restaurant staff was amazing. The internet worked 100% of the time. The drinks at the pool bar were fantastic. The rooms were beautiful. Maybe they built it too quickly and didn't do things properly. It's only a year old. If they figure things out this could be a really nice place to stay.

Room Tip: This would be difficult...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nancy G

Dear Nancy G,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. We value your opinion as we know it helps us improve our service to you. We are sorry to hear about all the bad things that happened during your trip to Gamboa and throughout the hotel. It is definitely not a common thing for all these to happen, and we can assure you we will be reviewing the details of your trip so this never happens.
We hope we had a chance to provide you with good memories and allowed you the rest you need during your trip. We invite you to visit us again when we will aim to provide you with the stay you deserve.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have stayed at many Hilton hotels over the years including more than a few times on business at the landmark Waldorf Astoria in New York City. I'm certain that the latter would be proud of how this hotel has maintained the same level of class as the New York one.

The well maintained, well decorated rooms with ceiling to floor glass windows offer an incredible view of the city and the ocean. Staying in the higher up floors is a great experience in itself and well worth the extra expenditure.

Front Desk Agent, Yehimy Rodriguez, her wonderful supervisor, Karla Matrinez and others - specifically Andres Korngold, Ligia Peralta, Ona Nerin, Lille Arosemena, Candy Rubio, Margarita Pinder, Gledys Montano, Carolina Rouse, Isamar Duarte and Alexandra Espino - helped in various ways to make our stay a memory of a lifetime!

The Housekeeping Department staff were exceptional and very accommodating!

Many restaurants and a large mall are nearby, and we felt very safe out and about.

We utilized the hotel's outside transportation service to take us to the airport in the very early morning and they were on-time and gracious.

This is truly a very well run World Class hotel! We are thrilled to have stayed there and been treated so well!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Margot1234567

Dear Margot1234567,
Thank you for letting us welcome you to what we feel is the best in hotel service in Panama. We are so delighted to have welcome you to our hotel and to have provided you with such fond memories. We are continuing to improve our service and amenities and thus we hope we have a chance to welcome you again during your next trip to Panama. We are here for you.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Waldorf Panama City is an excellent place to stay. Beautiful rooms, views, great restaurants, excellent service, clean, modern, great internet, etc...The beds were super-comfortable, the bathrooms and dressing rooms were enormous. This is by far the best hotel I've stayed in, in Panama City.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lance K

Dear Lance K,
Thank you for allowing us to host you during your recent trip to the city. We proud ourselves in serving all our guests and providing the very best stay they can have, complimented by our wonderful amenities.
We hope we have a chance to welcome you again during your next visit to Panama and give you the same great service you expect from us.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Bad experience. Had to be moved several times to new room. Air conditioning either didn't work or was so noisy, you couldn't speak on the phone or sleep. Beautiful bathtub had faucet that did not empty into tub, but instead poured water onto floor (faucet was free standing outside of tub, and totally disconnected - wish I had picture). Shower head dripped water from 1/4 of head only. Lobby had musty, un-inviting odor. Unattractive pool area with very small streak of sun. Encouraged by waiter to odor breakfast buffet (instead of off the menu) and when I went to get food from buffet, the staff was in the process of closing it down (positive - restaurant manager apologized and did not charge me for breakfast). Concierge not knowledgeable. Never received my "daily newspaper". Charged for items I never used from mini-bar. Hotel staff had argument with "private car service" that sits in front of the hotel. Mixed feedback from different employees of the hotel as to how safe it was to walk in neighborhood at night. Overall, poor experience. I would not stay there and would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
11  Thank Pam K

Dear Pammk,
Thank you for allowing us to host you during your visit to Panama City. We are truly sorry to ready about all the mishaps during your stay. I can assure you this is not a common experience here at Waldorf Astoria Panama and hope we have a chance to welcome you again and provide you the stay you deserve.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Where do I start with this review of the Waldorf Astoria Panama? Let’s begin with the driver that never showed up to collect me at the airport. The hotel blamed the chauffeur company of course but they weren’t too apologetic or surprised.

The service is very hit-and-miss. There were a few notable staff who stood out as beeing very helpful and courteous, you could tell they were trying hard. Then there were others who just couldn’t give a damn. One day I was queuing at the condcierge desk for map. The girl knew me as she dealt with my complaint about the car service. Rather than ask ‘can I help you?’ she picked up the phone and called her colleague at reception a few meters away to see what I wanted - afraid that I had more complaints maybe!

Look, I could write an essay on my 5-day stay at the WA but I’m going to save your time and mine by running through some points briefly:

> In-room TV hotel guest information not working (and no info folder), couldn’t be fixed by the gruff engineer who was sent up
> Noisy air-con unit actually located IN the suite, in the dressing area (see pics)
> No hot water in the whb for three days. Complained every day about it but nada, it was never fixed
> The drivers in the white cars outside the hotel are a rip-off. Download the Uber private driver app and use it for a fraction of the cost
> The pool area can get quite smelly at times, they need to pump the perfume from the lobby up to the terrace
>I was charged a different room rate when checking out, so be wary of your bill

On the face of it the Waldorf Astoria Panama is a lovely looking hotel. The entrance lobby is beautiful, and the bar upstairs is very impressive. But if you look a little closer, scratch beneth the surface as we say, then you’ll see that it isn’t finished to a high standard. Have a look at my pictures, one might think there was a poltergeist behind my bedroom door, such were the size of the gaps around it!

I will say that the food I had at the hotel was excellent but that is little comfort for the whole experience. When one is paying top dollar (in Panama) to stay at a 5-star hotel you expect the food to be good.

You know the worse thing about this saga? These complaints were made in person to the Ops Manager, and then escalated up to Director level, I’ve exchanged emails with these guys and had a conference call with them. And still 3, nearly 4 months later nothing has been resolved.

This place does not deserve to call itself a Waldorf Astoria and by doing so completely tarnishs the reputation of every other Waldorf Astoria hotel around the world. I wish I’d stayed at the Tryp for a quarter of the price.

Room Tip: Ask that there not be any machinery or air con units located in your room!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank FrequentFlyerDublin
MariaVictoriaB_WA, Public Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Panama, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear FrequentFlyerDublin,
Words cannot express how grateful we are that you took the time to write this review and give us a detailed explanation of your stay. Your experiences and comments have been carefully noted and will be strictly addressed with the appropriate team members. To this day we have been carefully evaluating and revising our team and services, and we can guarantee you that although it is uncommon to have that type of experiences, we are seriously addressing your comments. After all, it is our number one goal to provide you with the best service during your stay. We truly hope you were able to enjoy some of our other amenities during your stay as well as the city of Panama. Looking forward for a new opportunity, we hope to see you soon.