Casa Ramirez
US$186
US$208
US$178
  • Beachfront
Hotel Coral Suites(Panama City)(Great Value!)
US$74
US$66
Riande Aeropuerto(Panama City)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$100
  • Breakfast included
US$240
US$232
Le Meridien Panama(Panama City)
US$152
  • Pool
DoubleTree By Hilton Panama City(Panama City)(Great Value!)
US$68
  • Pool
Global Hotel Panama(Panama City)(Great Value!)
US$123
US$99
All reviewspanama viejorelaxing staybeautiful propertywalking distancepanama canalac
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We stayed at Casa Ramirez in early January. We are two couples from the prairies in Canada. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. Sophie took great care of us organizing taxis and tours and recommending restaurants. Our tours left early in the morning both days and she packed us breakfast to go. On our last morning when we had to catch the early flight to Bocas she packed a hot breakfast for us to eat when we got to the airport. The rooms are beautiful and each is unique. We each had deluxe rooms and they were lovely. We toured everyday we were there and returned about 4:30 to enjoy the pool and have "happy hour" by the pool. This is a beautiful property with a lot of history. We highly recommend staying and would return in a heartbeat should we come back to Panama City.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 December 2012

I have been to Panama City many times and stayed in a lot of really nice places, but none compare to Casa Ramirez. When you walk in you feel like you are at home. The rooms are always very comfortable and clean. Eating breakfast in the garden was a very relaxing way to wake up in the morning. The only regret I have is that I didn't stay longer.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 December 2012

We stayed here on our final night in Panama and although it was somewhat rushed, we left with an overall good impression of this B&B.

Casa Ramirez is a large home located on a busy street (away from the street) but it is easy to forget this once inside the home and outside in the back in the outdoor common area, which includes several hammocks and a pool. On the main road, there is a nice view of the skyline.
A fun little fact that is also shared on their website: the home of Panama's president is within walking distance (and is well guarded)!
The inside of the home offered areas to explore which featured art, souvenirs and decorations to admire and was in itself a museum of sorts, which made it quite unique. Two of my favorite features were the mola-inspired door and Panama canal bonds.

There were snacks and drinks available for $1 and there was simply an informal trust system set up where you could enjoy what you wanted and simply leave the amount or jot down the IOU for later. This is but a small example of the type of environment you can expect here.

Our host was easygoing and helpful - never invasive but always available.

With regard to the room, the one downside was that I had booked Garden Room #2 but we were taken to Room #1 instead. Although both rooms appeared very nice, I had booked #2 with my boyfriend in mind and was slightly disappointed to not have the room I reserved. I imagined this might have been due to another guest extending their stay and although it was not a major factor in the end, being informed of this would have been appreciated.

Garden Room #2 is located furthest down the hall. The room itself is unique with its tree and butterfly wall art and custom embroidery. Because the garden is right outside the glass patio door, it can feel a bit less private unless you close the curtain. The room has A/C and in the bathroom, toiletries and hairdryer were provided. It felt a bit warm in the bathroom due to a sort of skylight but I believe there was a fan available.
Watching movies was a tad difficult for us to figure out on their system but our host quickly came in and helped us.

I cannot recall exactly what was served for breakfast but remember it being good and filling and those working in the home always had a smile and seemed friendly.

A point to consider when booking:
Of the three places we stayed at together, Casa Ramirez was the priciest at $165 for one night (I believe the basic room starts at $125). That said, I appreciated the location and that they allowed booking for one night only as this was a bit difficult to find.

If you are looking for quality in a good location and laid-back atmosphere, and appreciate art (perhaps even tattoo art as we were able to witness during our stay) and socializing, I would highly recommend this place. I would not hesitate to try one of their other properties.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2012

This beautifully refurbished Panamanian home (mansion is a better description) in one of the swankest areas of Panama City (President Martinelli lives a mere 600 yards away!) is the perfect place to stay when visiting. The interior is exquisitely appointed with original works of art adorning the walls, courtesy of the Wiel Art Gallery. Guest rooms are roomy and very comfortable. The back yard, with native landscaping, covered patio and delightful swimming pool provides additional spaces for rest and relaxation. And the breakfast.....just incredible! Sofie and the kitchen staff provide the very best in fresh, mouthwatering, local cuisine.

Although I live in Panama City, I wasn't aware of Casa Ramirez until recently when my husband surprised me on out 27th anniversary with a stay at this, one of a kind, B&B. Needless to say, I loved it!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the huge jacuzzi - smile.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2012

An invitation, from a friend, to an art opening at Casa Ramirez, brought me here. I already had a reservation for the night at a hostel. A kind invitation from Jack and CC, to stay the night at a 65% discount came and I was so happy to accept. What followed was a deep nights sleep, in this mansion, filled with art chosen by an Jack, a man with a history of art education and a professional background, of many careers of passion, one of which being on the board of 2 well known museums. This I learned, as the morning and afternoon led to hours of stimulating conversation. This is a lovely place and a lovely family! Can't wait to be back.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
bosstone, Owner at Casa Ramirez, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2012

Thank you for the wonderful review. Although we did have a discount on the room because of the art opening that is not a common occurrence. Also although my father Jack does love art and has been involved in it for years our art here at Casa Ramirez is managed by Carolina Arango (carolina.arango.com).

Glad you enjoyed your stay with us.