“A relaxing Oasis”
Review of Casa Ramirez

Casa Ramirez
Ranked #11 of 78 Panama City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Great find! Excellent experience with fine attention to detail. Resident manager, Joe, was extremely helpful and energetic in assuring we enjoyed our stay and the City. Spacious garden estate and lovely rooms assure a relaxing stay away from the busy hotel and banking centres. Also included delicious breakfasts that varied each day.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 February 2013

After staying in Bahia del Sol in Bocas del Toro for almost 2 weeks, their "sister" establishment proved to uphold these proprietor's good taste, service and hospitality.
My two daughters and I stayed there and were treated like royalty. Joe greeted us and we were upgraded immediately. He also made a great breakfast at 6 AM for us as we had to catch an early flight.
The ambience of the hotel is luxurious and unique with spectacular artwork on the walls and a great modern look with great amenities and bedding. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Thanks Joe for your sweet hospitality!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ClaudiaDouty
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We stayed at Casa Ramirez for five nights in January with two other couples, and all of us were delighted with the house, the rooms, the grounds and the staff. The house manager, Sophie, was gracious and attentive and made us feel completely at home. She is also a superb cook, and went out of her way to prepare some special dishes for us. The house is on a busy street, but we did not hear any traffic from the upstairs, where the common areas and all our rooms were. We had two deluxe rooms and one garden room - all were lovely, and very reasonably priced considering how elegant Cas Ramirez is. Not much is within easy walking distance (except a good German restaurant across the street) but it's easy to get a cab. I highly recommend Casa Ramirez, and we 6 New Englanders would all certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: All the rooms, even the one on the ground floor, are lovely.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We stayed at Casa Ramirez in early January. We are two couples from the prairies in Canada. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. Sophie took great care of us organizing taxis and tours and recommending restaurants. Our tours left early in the morning both days and she packed us breakfast to go. On our last morning when we had to catch the early flight to Bocas she packed a hot breakfast for us to eat when we got to the airport. The rooms are beautiful and each is unique. We each had deluxe rooms and they were lovely. We toured everyday we were there and returned about 4:30 to enjoy the pool and have "happy hour" by the pool. This is a beautiful property with a lot of history. We highly recommend staying and would return in a heartbeat should we come back to Panama City.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 December 2012

I have been to Panama City many times and stayed in a lot of really nice places, but none compare to Casa Ramirez. When you walk in you feel like you are at home. The rooms are always very comfortable and clean. Eating breakfast in the garden was a very relaxing way to wake up in the morning. The only regret I have is that I didn't stay longer.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 December 2012

We stayed here on our final night in Panama and although it was somewhat rushed, we left with an overall good impression of this B&B.

Casa Ramirez is a large home located on a busy street (away from the street) but it is easy to forget this once inside the home and outside in the back in the outdoor common area, which includes several hammocks and a pool. On the main road, there is a nice view of the skyline.
A fun little fact that is also shared on their website: the home of Panama's president is within walking distance (and is well guarded)!
The inside of the home offered areas to explore which featured art, souvenirs and decorations to admire and was in itself a museum of sorts, which made it quite unique. Two of my favorite features were the mola-inspired door and Panama canal bonds.

There were snacks and drinks available for $1 and there was simply an informal trust system set up where you could enjoy what you wanted and simply leave the amount or jot down the IOU for later. This is but a small example of the type of environment you can expect here.

Our host was easygoing and helpful - never invasive but always available.

With regard to the room, the one downside was that I had booked Garden Room #2 but we were taken to Room #1 instead. Although both rooms appeared very nice, I had booked #2 with my boyfriend in mind and was slightly disappointed to not have the room I reserved. I imagined this might have been due to another guest extending their stay and although it was not a major factor in the end, being informed of this would have been appreciated.

Garden Room #2 is located furthest down the hall. The room itself is unique with its tree and butterfly wall art and custom embroidery. Because the garden is right outside the glass patio door, it can feel a bit less private unless you close the curtain. The room has A/C and in the bathroom, toiletries and hairdryer were provided. It felt a bit warm in the bathroom due to a sort of skylight but I believe there was a fan available.
Watching movies was a tad difficult for us to figure out on their system but our host quickly came in and helped us.

I cannot recall exactly what was served for breakfast but remember it being good and filling and those working in the home always had a smile and seemed friendly.

A point to consider when booking:
Of the three places we stayed at together, Casa Ramirez was the priciest at $165 for one night (I believe the basic room starts at $125). That said, I appreciated the location and that they allowed booking for one night only as this was a bit difficult to find.

If you are looking for quality in a good location and laid-back atmosphere, and appreciate art (perhaps even tattoo art as we were able to witness during our stay) and socializing, I would highly recommend this place. I would not hesitate to try one of their other properties.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2012

This beautifully refurbished Panamanian home (mansion is a better description) in one of the swankest areas of Panama City (President Martinelli lives a mere 600 yards away!) is the perfect place to stay when visiting. The interior is exquisitely appointed with original works of art adorning the walls, courtesy of the Wiel Art Gallery. Guest rooms are roomy and very comfortable. The back yard, with native landscaping, covered patio and delightful swimming pool provides additional spaces for rest and relaxation. And the breakfast.....just incredible! Sofie and the kitchen staff provide the very best in fresh, mouthwatering, local cuisine.

Although I live in Panama City, I wasn't aware of Casa Ramirez until recently when my husband surprised me on out 27th anniversary with a stay at this, one of a kind, B&B. Needless to say, I loved it!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the huge jacuzzi - smile.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple