“Strange Lamb, Thin Sauce, Weird Unisex Bathroom and Two Credit Card Charges for the Same Meal.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of L'Osteria

L'Osteria
Ranked #61 of 963 Restaurants in Panama City
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: This is part of the Casa del Horno complex, but it is a separate restaurant.
Carmel, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

The place was empty when we arrived but we eat early and it was a weeknight. We ate alone in the front, where there was some air conditioning. The back room has the old rock walls, and the old well. Nice looking place, but too hot for people unused to the dry dusty end of April in Panama. There were a few people in the back when we left, maybe locals who were better used to the heat.

I had a single malt whisky and was in a good mood. I was prepped for a good meal. We asked for water, and the waiter brought a choice of two bottles of water. The waiter had little English, and I gave in and accepted the bottle of water reluctantly. I really wanted tap water. The city water in Panama is good and tasty; no problems drinking it. Lesson learned: I need to learn the Spanish phrase for non bottled water. I don't think "tap water" translates.

The food looked better on the menu than in real life. I ordered a starter Salmon Carpaccio which was supposed to include some salad; my wife ordered a starter salad which was supposed to include grilled vegetables. The salmon portion was very small, thin cut, of course, for carpaccio but altogether perhaps only an ounce of salmon, with a very small amount of salad. About two mouthfuls of salad, maybe three if you're on the dainty side.

My wife's salad was cold (really cold, as if it had been stored in the refrigerator) and indifferently dressed. The grilled vegetables were small in size and number, cold and very limp. We all know how appealing a grilled red pepper can be; that was what I imagined. Not so; the peppers and unknown vegetables were small pieces, looked like they were from a jar and were vastly overcooked, or limp from being leftovers from days before. All in all, her salad was a big disappointment.

The two main dishes were a chicken with orange sauce and a lamb ragu. The chicken was good, and the mashed potatoes that came with it were tasty. The lamb ragu (or ragout) is a matter of some controversy.

First, the meat. I expected to see a ragout:

"a highly seasoned dish of meat cut into small pieces and stewed with vegetables."

But in retrospect I believe the menu actually said "ragu"...which is not Italian for ragout, I now know, and is something else entirely:

"ragu is a meat sauce that is typically served with pasta."

Admittedly this is not the restaurant's fault, but rather our ignorance. The lamb ragu she was served was a dish of flat, wide noodles with a very thin sauce with ground meat on it. The sauce was so thin I couldn't tell you what it tasted like. It was almost invisible. It did not taste like a tomato sauce, and was not colored like tomato.

But my biggest problem was the meat itself. It was ground lamb, and had a very grainy texture, as if it had been extended with some kind of a filler, or was some radically poor quality. My wife was disappointed with the lamb not being in chunks (she was expecting ragout, not ragu), but said she didn't notice the texture issue. I tasted it twice that night, and once on the leftover the next day, and each time it tasted oddly grainy to me. Note to restaurant: people who order lamb expect to have tasty lamb to ear, not grainy ground unidentified meat.

Looking over other reviews, I think this might be a place to order the pizza or pasta and be content. I wish someone had given me that advice

The bathroom is practically a tourist attraction. There is one unisex bathroom, which doesn't lock. There are no urinals. There is a common sink (more like a trough) for washing, and two stalls. One stall has a picture of a Marilyn Monroe type on the door, and the other stall has a picture of guys standing around. When I say a picture, I don't mean a fine piece of art. More like a printout off the internet.

A couple days after getting home, I logged in online to my bank account, tied to my debit card,for something else, and to glance at my charges for Panama. I found two different charges from this restaurant, on two different dates, for the same amount. Clearly a duplicate charge for the same meal, especially as we had left the next day. Hopefully, the bank will straighten it out.

So, uninteresting vegetables, ice cold salads, small portions, questionable lamb, and sloppy money handling practices. I think that about covers it.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Chicago, Illinois
“Good Food- Cool Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

We ate dinner there after walking around Casco Viejo. We got flat breads and pasta. The food was good, the waiter's English was not very fluent but we got by.

• Visited December 2013
Panama City, Panama
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“suflè a un otro mundo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

good Place for cheese in all kinds...and lamb in cabbage
don`t come t late, then they start clining With Clorox...
good wine selection & prices

Visited February 2014
Panama City, Panama
“Good food, great atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Have ate here a half a dozen times. The food is always good. Their pizza and calzones are decently priced and some of the best around the city. the back patio is tucked in between the old rock walls and an old well giving the place great rustic feeling. Very good.

Visited March 2014
Metro Manila, Philippines
“Worth a try”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

Had dinner with a couple of friends. The place is along a major street in Cosca Viejo but still there is still a chance that you may miss it at night because it has a small frontage. There is no parking space so use the valet or park at your own risk in the side streets. There is a choice of indoor or outdoor seating but we chose to stay indoors because it was a very warm night. The service is good. They explain all the dishes and condiments that they put on the table. We ordered the house salad and of course the pasta which were very good. Next time we will try the pizza.

• Visited February 2014