“Breakfast included, but not?”

Marriott Executive Apartments Panama City, Finisterre
Ranked #50 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 14 December 2013

On the plus side: The room, ok, plenty of space for family of four. Nice small kitchen, the sofa/bed had some dirty marks, else the room was ok cleaned. Check quick, nice parking, helpful staff, so far.
Next morning started the hustling. At the end of breakfast we were presented a bill of 40 dollars, for 3 persons. Told the waiter we all had breakfast included. He comes back, tell us that the reception and the computer says no. I had my iPad, showed him the confirmation. He leaves the bill and tell me he can resolve this. I go down to the reception, he's not very interested, and tell me the computer say I only have 1 breakfast included. I tell him MY computer say I have all included. Show him my confirmation. Call to, I guess the boss, lot of whispering by phone. Tell me no, only 1 breakfast. I show him my confirmation again. Him wants me to go and print it at. I can mail it, I say. Calls again, and say after more whispering in the phone, I can mail it to Silvia. I ask if this is the boss, and yes it is. I ask if he is trusted to make decisions, why can Silvia come out and show where it says I only have 1 breakfast? But now, she in a meeting. (Hahaha) he now wants me to sign the 40 dollar bill, so he can put it on my room. I say now, I have breakfast included. I say they can mail me the policy where it say that I do not have breakfast, and I will be back in the afternoon. 7 hours later, I am back, nothing done, new person the first one is going off duty. New one starts again calling ( I guess to Silvia), after new whispering, they now think I should have 2 adults and the child of 4 free, the child of 8 have to pay. 7,90. A lot of explanation about hotel policy, I am getting tired, I just ask the to give me the no breakfast rate, and they do.
More or less 1 hour wasted, when I have black on white confirmed that breakfast is included for all. Staff at reception, almost rude. Now willingness to show me any paper that says that I did not have breakfast included.
Horrible. Will not go back. Have been traveling 150 days per year, for 30 years, never experienced anything like this, it's like a tourist trap. Room was booked via online company, not via Marriott pages.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank johntenerife
DenisseatMEA, Manager at Marriott Executive Apartments Panama City, Finisterre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear Mr Johntenerife
We will like to apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced at our property. Since your departure, we have been working on the breakfast configuration with our online providers, this error caused the uncomfortable situation about your breakfast confirmation.
We are also taking actions on your service comments since this is an unusual situation with our staff that is always friendly, knowledgeable and happy to serve our residents. It would be a pleasure for us to have another opportunity to take care of you and your family at our hotel. Thank you very much, we appreciate your feedback.
DenisseatMEA

There are newer reviews for Marriott Executive Apartments Panama City, Finisterre

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I stayed 2 nights in a 2 bedroom master suite. The actual suite was very nice, although the bathrooms were dated. Additionally, there are no amenities - not even paper towels.

There is a very large grocery store 2 blocks away and thus purchasing goods is simple.

The wifi worked great.

The neighborhood was pretty crappy in my opinion, although I did not spend much time elsewhere in Panama City. It seemed as if I needed a 15+ minute drive to the San Francisco neighborhood for meals and the Marina for the canal tour. I am not sure if other hotels are better located.

The breakfast was very basic - definitely not 5 star. Staples like eggs, waffles, yogurt. Nothing even close to gourmet.

A few gripes - the checkin process was a bit frustrating because the desk charged me $25 per day for each day for my children. This was not in my Marriott reservation. It's impossible to deal with issues outside of the country and communication is always an issue.

The LARGEST GRIPE is with the hotels transportation. Do not use their internal VIP transportation services. I had made a reservation for services from the hotel to the Marina for my Panama Canal trip. In the morning, no show. After 30 minutes and endless stress (I could have missed the boat and $700 of tickets), a driver from the Intercontinental hotel showed up. I was pissed. Then in the evening, I asked the rate for a ride from the hotel to Maito Restaurant (very average incidentally). I was quoted 22 dollars - 10 for 2 persons and 3 dollars for each additional. Upon arrival, I was asked to sign a statement, however, the driver never entered the 22 rate. I was picked up from Maito and returned and was told the rate was 30. I said no 22. This turned into a front desk drama and it was eventually resolved because the hotel does have a rate sheet. Bottom line - they are dishonest. After the third mishap, I turned to trip advisor where I found Omar from PBA for tour and other services. Please see my review for his contact information.

I

I strongly suggest using Omar for all Panama related tour and driving services. His contact info is here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank BornaTravelinMan
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My hotel stay was very pleasant! The staff is great and very friendly. Our room was very modern and very clean. Anything missing from the room would be brought up immediately by the staff members. Def. get your money's worth. If you're going to catch a cab, have the front desk order one for you. The hotel cabs are very pricey.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

I stayed for 1 month in Panama City with my wife. This is a very good option for one that do not want to stay in a regular hotel. It is more like a flat. I has its own kitchen with a cooktop, refrigerator, microwave and all kitchen appliances you may need for to cook decently. The apartment is very spacious with a office and a room with a sofa. Important to say that the bed room, and the office space and the sofa room are not exactly separated by a wall, but all have their own space in the apartment. Only the kitchen is separated. There are bigger apartments if you want to stay with children, with separated rooms. My one was a smaller but still bigger than regular hotel rooms.
The service was good as well. In a couple of days they stated to know you by name and they are very polite. The breakfast is very good, often charged separately. There is a hotel laundry service but you an use the washing machine and drying machine they keep in every floor at a far rate. There is a reasonable swimming pool and a small gym.
The hotel is very well located, close to Balboa Avenue and 50th Street, in Bella Vista neighborhood. It is by walking distance to the Cinta Costera, where you can walk and have exercises.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 September 2013

You will love the apartment, so remember, it's an apartment and not a hotel room. I loved the space in the apartment, the free wifi for 5 devices, and the kitchen was great. The room is modern, the bathroom a bit dated (but ok), and of course, the L'Occaitaine shampoo and soap is nice.
The breakfast is decent, the omlette station is good, service is good, and ok priced.
The gym is the downside, two treadmills and a weight set. The bottom line, there isn't a gym. Do not expect to workout here.
The lobby is fine, for an apartment. Do not expect an hotel, it's a great place to stay for a long stay.

Room Tip: The room is great, the grocery store is 2 blocks away. But, remember, it's an apartment first a...
1  Thank marknbri
Reviewed 2 September 2013

A little known treasure that should be on your list. The room, actually a studio apartment was GREAT! In a time of tiny rooms to have room is a wonderful thing. A full kitchen is great for keeping soda,beer and snacks at the ready. A full service supermarket is only two blocks away. Each floor has a washer and dryer so packing light is even easier. The front desk team of; Hector, Maniel, Alexander, and Roy, were always ready to help with any request. The lack of anything above a basic gym is what cost the location the full five stars.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

I stayed here with my family on a business trip. We had one of the 2 bedroom penthouse apartment suites on the top floor. This property is fairly new and it's a beautiful building. Our room was very nicely appointed (marble, granite, 3 flat screens) and had a great view of the Panama City skyline. There are several nice restaurants nearby: a brazilian steakhouse, a Panamanian restaurant with a show (average food - good show), and a great Guatemalan steakhouse (Hacienda Real). There is also a grocery store about 4 blocks away that has lots of American products (Riba Smith). The breakfast buffet at the hotel is good, but the rest of the food is very average (we ordered a couple of hamburgers and club sandwiches one night - they were terrible). Panamanians are not known for great customer service. The employees here are trying - but sometimes they just seemed either short-staffed or overwhelmed. The pool is very nice; it would be nice if the hot tub were actually hot.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family