“My review is for the Bay View Restaurant ... not the hotel”

InterContinental Miramar Panama
Ranked #39 of 117 Hotels in Panama City
Las Cumbres, Panama, Panama
“My review is for the Bay View Restaurant ... not the hotel”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

So, I can't find a place to review just the hotel's restaurant, so I will do that here.

I went to the Bay View Restaurant to have a nice Saturday lunch with some friends. Everyone very cordial and nice, nothing bad to say about the servers.

But man, was the food bad. It was one of the smallest buffets I've seen. And nothing was particularly good. Too little options. There was: one chicken dish, one meat dish, some carved ham (which was very good) and one fish dish. It had one rice dish, one cooked vegetables dish, some sort of puree dish and a pasta station which was FULL (if I knew that the food would be that bad, I would've waited like everyone else). I should also note there is a salad station and cheese and cold cuts, plus one ceviche dish. None of the meals described above made any sort of impact on me or any of my companions. The desserts were pretty bland as well.

Drinks: I ordered a mojito and it tasted EXACTLY like the one that Bacardi sells already from the bottle. It had a couple of spearmint leave that weren't even mushed. It was strong though.

Thank God we had a gift certificate, because I would have asked for my money back if I would've paid the $25 (or something like that) that it costs.

Another thing that bothered me was that the host knew about our gift certificate (it was for 10 people and there were only 4 of us) and he was very LOUDLY letting us know that we would not get a credit and we would lose the other 6 meals. We, of course, knew that, we know how this works; but man... the whole restaurant found out we had a gift certificate.

So in the end, I am not reviewing the hotel, but I had to let people know that the lunch buffet (at least on Saturdays!) is not good.

Room Tip: Not reviewing the rooms, just the Bay View restaurant. I want to stress that
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Jackvine P, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Patricia L,

Thanks for reviewing your recent experience at our restaurant. This review is been analyzed by the executive chef, the sommelier and restaurant managers for corrective action to be taken. It is important to know every little detail in order to offer higher standards of service, quality and variety of food. I would like to offer my apologies for any inconveniences you and your party might have experience during your lunch.

Thank you again, your feedback is really appreciated, and I invite you to try our restaurant in the near future for you to see the changes. Below you will find the chef info in case you would like to make more comments or suggestion, and also mine to make in case you would like to reserve a breakfast, lunch or dinner I will make sure to have all set for you and your party.

Chef Dennis Garrido
dgarrido@miramarpanama.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed here on Sunday/Monday, April 6/7. I am a Royal Amb. member spending in excess of 60 days/years at the Intercontinental brands.
This was the worst experience I ever had at an Intercontinental brand.
1: Internet did not work. had to call 3 times before someone showed up. Broke down twice after it was "fixed".
2: Not hot water in the shower in the morning (17th floor)
3: One elevator did not work in the morning
4: No shampoo in the shower
5: One faucet in the bathroom was blocked
6: Airconditioning in the room is very noisy
7: Business floor is totally below any standard. One poor quality red wine was available at the "happy hour". No soft drinks available unless you order it. Half of the staff does not speak English. No English newspares/magazines.Fruit at the breakfast table was not fresh and had brown (!) spots. Place was not cleaned properly, etc etc.
8: Unfriendly staff and absolutely not motivated to serve you .
9: The service at the dining room/bar is below any standard and the buffett consists of very plain food.
10: Gym: equipment is OK however the place is dirty and unattended. Two cleaning personnel had a 40 minute social conversation while i was working out...!

General impression: Very poor, all I can say positive is that the location is excellent. I strongly recommend the Intercontinental management to cancet their contract with this hotel.
I am sure that the local guest manager will be writing some "blah blah blah" as a response however it will not help unless they completely refurbish the place and educate all personnel.
Will never come back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dolph R
Dear Mr. Berends,

Greetings from Panama City,

Thank you for your review. We tried to solve everything while you were with us, sorry if we couldn’t fulfill your needs in a timely manner. Notes will be taken about your case for further referrals.

Regards,

Reviewed 8 April 2014

It's a beautiful, newly renovated complex, with an extremely helpful and accommodating staff. Didn't eat at the hotel once because it's walking distance from some amazing, authentic Panamanian cuisine for CHEAP. They offer driving services that charge by the hour which is great if you want to go sight seeing (Canal, Panama Viejo & Casco Viejo, etc.) ASK FOR JOEL- he was our driver / tour guide and knew everything about everything about the history of Panama (his English isn't the best but he knows his stuff), I have a new found appreciation for Panama after everything he explained to us. Great lobby bar and serve cocktails freshly made- not that pre-mixed mixer nonsense. Sound too good to be true? Keep reading...

HERE'S THE CATCH: The location is this hotel's gift and its curse- it's walking distance from authentic Panamanian restaurants, shopping AND it's right along the water with a fantastic view of the bay and Panama City skyline. It's quite an impressive view waking up to in the morning, and I guarantee you WILL wake up in the morning. Why? Because the hotel is also tucked in between two busy roads (1 highway, 1 main street). Unfortunately the noise cancellation is non existent so you will be able to hear traffic zooming by left and right all day long. Same can be said while lounging at the pool. Not noisy at all at night though.

Overall, if you can get over the early morning wake-up, (and you better because it's a beautiful country with a lot to be seen and learned) then it's pros FAR outweigh its cons. Only reason I didn't give it a 5 was the outside noise level and snail-like wifi.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Jackvine P, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Albert G,

Greetings from Panama City,

Mr. Albert thank you for sharing with us and other travelers your recent experience at our hotel. I will personally show your kind words to Joel, and I know that this will make him feel very special and keep on offering high standard of service to all of our guests. I am also glad to read how much you enjoyed our lobby bar, the atmosphere, and freshly made cocktail from our staff; our goal is to always offer the best for the enjoyment of our guests.

I will take notes about some of the areas of improvements like internet, and room’s noise cancellation for future renovations. I would like to thank you again for taking the time to let us know a little bit of everything that you got to experience no to mention the magnificent view and privileged location in the middle of the city and right next to the coast.

InterContinental Miramar will remain as your home away from home if your future travels brings you back to our beautiful city.

Quality & Guest Relations Manager
Neenah, Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

We (two families, 10 people total) chose the Intercontinental Miramar for our (brief) stay in Panamà City based on the advertised room price and the hotel's location. We got exactly what we expected and therefore left extremely satisfied. This is a fine, higher end business hotel in line with a Hilton or a Hyatt. The location is excellent (great views), the rooms are clean, the furnishings are nice (Carribean business), the pool is decent and the bar is funky. Attached is an excellent restaurant with a changing buffet menu - we had the pleasure of sampling Friday's extensive seafood buffet. All in all, this hotel served our purposes well. No complaints.

• Stayed March 2014
Jackvine P, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this review, 4 April 2014

Greetings from Panama City,

First of all thank you for sharing your family experience with other travelers. I am really happy to read the satisfied stay you had with us, and how you actually experience most of our services like the pool, bar, restaurant, and view from our rooms.

You and your family will always be welcome to our hotel, to keep on living the intercontinental experience when coming to panama. Below you will find my personal information in case your future travels bring you back to Panama City.

Manitou Springs
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

The fitness center is the best in the system --- worldwide for me, about 200 hotels. The staff is outstanding (hotel & spa). Heads of state frequent the hotel. In fact, I had a pleasant conversation with one as we worked out in the fitness center ----- which has all the amenities: weights, cardio room, wet/dry sauna, salon, massage, juice bar, towel service.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Jackvine P, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this review, 1 April 2014

Greetings from Panama City,

Thank you very much for your kind comments about your experience with us and specially the SPA . I am passing on this review to the manager of the SPA, for him to communicate this to all the staff. I am sure it will make their day.

Thank you again for sharing and we all remain at your disposal if your travel needs brings you back to Panama City.

CONNECTICUT
Reviewed 26 March 2014

i have stayed at this hotel about 5 times within the past 2 years ,,each time has been a pleasant experience,,,the employees are very professional and welcoming.the 5th floor executive lounge is lovely ,,this is the first time the person working in the lounge was aloof,,he didn't smile both nights ,robert was unfriendly..other guests had commented as well,,perhaps he needs a break !!! Pastor is amazing,,glad he is back at this location,,he goes above and beyond to make guests comfortable{he is the front desk manager} the pool is fabulous,,the breakfast is great,,location is good,,i would suggest to walk behind hotel to catch taxis,,much less expensive,,,the gentleman ,,that helps with luggage is great,,,he was born in bocas del toro,,sorry don't recall his name ,,,,thanks again for an awesome saty !!! housekeeping is wonderful too.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Jackvine P, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Greetings from InterContinental Miramar Panama,

Firstly thank you for your kind comments summarizing all of your stays. I already passed this review to all staff and manager for them to read how much you value our services and how loyal you are with us and the brand.

I will also take notes about the service at the club lounge, and take corrective actions. For us is always an honor to have you back, and serve your needs to exceed your expectations.

Below you will find my information, so when you come back we have everything set for you.
Kind Regards and hope to see you back soon!

Hope to see you soon!

los angeles
Reviewed 19 March 2014

This hotel offers fantastic ocean views. The rooms are comfortable and the public areas are nice. Choose a concierge level room as the club offers a good breakfast and an afternoon happy hour with tasty snacks. Try for a corner room for enhanced views. But what sets this hotel apart form the others is the staff. Everyone was quite helpful, especially the manager, Mr Valdez. He was extremely accommodating and friendly.

Room Tip: Choose a club level ocean view corner room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Jackvine P, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this review, 21 March 2014

Greetings from Panama City,

Firstly thank you for posting your review online, and share your tips and experience with other travelers. I am passing along your comment to all staff, so they keep on offering the best and high quality of hospitality to all our valuable guests like you.

I am happy to read we were able to fulfill your needs in every sense, me and the staff can’t wait to have you back in your next visit to our country. Thank you again for sharing, here you will find my information for any help, question or reservation you might need in the future.

pvaldez@miramarpanama.com