“Nice place to layover”

InterContinental Miramar Panama
Ranked #33 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed for one night at the InterContinental in Panama City as a layover. It was a nice place, very clean. Had a nice bar in the hotel lobby. It was in a good location, where you could walk to places to eat. Nothing amazing, but a solid place.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Jackvine P, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Greetings from Panama City,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. Thank you for pointing out the cleanleness, location to nearby restaurants and our Lobby Bar. It will always be a pleasure to have you back.

Have a wonderful day back home!

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Well appointed hotel with generous size rooms great beds and all the normal amenities of the Intercontinental Hotels. Wonderful view of the Pacific and the ships and craft entering and exiting the Panama canal in the distance. Beautiful swimming pool but noisy with the busy traffic from main thoroughfare out front of the hotel. Service at the pool for drinks and food is a bit slow so patience is required. The breakfast buffet is well done with a few Panamanian special dishes and the menu offers a change from the buffet lunch. The bar off the lobby is convenient but the frozen daiquiri was made with loo laid. Stick to the basic "and" drinks. Convenient and walkable to a nice row of restaurants on a side street. Overall a nice and clean high rise hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Jackvine P, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Greetings from Panama City,

Thank you for pointing out all of the perks we offer like you mentioned large rooms, wonderful views, central location nearby restaurants, and beautiful swimming pool. All reviews are forwarded to management and staffs; to be analyzed and take corrective actions were it has been mentioned in the review. Thank you for taking your time to let us know your experience as well as your feedback for improvement.

I Hope every time you come to Panama, you choose to live the InterContinental Experience, it will be an honor to have you back.

Have a beautiful day back home and see you in the future,

Jackvine D. Prescott
Guest Relations Manager.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

This hotel its located in a very central area of Panama City. Its near to commercial centers (malls) and restaurants. have a very very beautifull landscape in front of the sea. Have a friendly personal that make you feel at home. The breakfast its good.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Jackvine P, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Greetings from Panama City,

Firstly thank you very much for taking some minutes of your time to post your review about your recent stay. Your comments have been forwarded to all staff; I know your words will make their day. I am glad to read how much you enjoyed our ´´Cinta Costera´´ and our location less than 5 minutes from the main malls of the city.

Miramar InterContinental will always be your home away from home, if your future travels bring you back to Panama City.

Enjoy your day back home!

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We stayed for 2 nights. We enjoyed the pool, ate at the restaurant, drank at the bar, and ate at a great nearby Italian restaurant.

They had fast wi-fi available everywhere. It was free in the lobby and one paid a daily fee for access in the rooms (unless you are a member of one of their programs). The breakfast buffet was fantastic with Panamanian dishes, as well as the standard omelet station, fresh fruit, cereal, meats & cheeses, etc.

I also had an Angus burger in the bar one night and it was tasty and quite affordable. For lunch, we checked out the buffet one day after sightseeing -- it was expansive with fresh fish dishes, Panamanian delicacies, and salads. It was too much food for us at that time of day, so we opted to order sandwiches off the menu instead. Nice club sandwich with fried plantains.

Room Tip: All rooms face the water. The higher up you are, the better the view of the skyline. Elevators, ho...

Greetings from Panama City,

Firstly thank you very much for taking some minutes of your time to post your review about your recent stay. Your comments have been forwarded to all restaurant staff and Executive Chef for them to keep up the good work.

I am glad you had the chance to try our food and restaurant, especially during breakfast. Me and the entire hotel remains at your disposal, if your future travels brings you back to Panama City.
Enjoy your day back home!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

So, I can't find a place to review just the hotel's restaurant, so I will do that here.

I went to the Bay View Restaurant to have a nice Saturday lunch with some friends. Everyone very cordial and nice, nothing bad to say about the servers.

But man, was the food bad. It was one of the smallest buffets I've seen. And nothing was particularly good. Too little options. There was: one chicken dish, one meat dish, some carved ham (which was very good) and one fish dish. It had one rice dish, one cooked vegetables dish, some sort of puree dish and a pasta station which was FULL (if I knew that the food would be that bad, I would've waited like everyone else). I should also note there is a salad station and cheese and cold cuts, plus one ceviche dish. None of the meals described above made any sort of impact on me or any of my companions. The desserts were pretty bland as well.

Drinks: I ordered a mojito and it tasted EXACTLY like the one that Bacardi sells already from the bottle. It had a couple of spearmint leave that weren't even mushed. It was strong though.

Thank God we had a gift certificate, because I would have asked for my money back if I would've paid the $25 (or something like that) that it costs.

Another thing that bothered me was that the host knew about our gift certificate (it was for 10 people and there were only 4 of us) and he was very LOUDLY letting us know that we would not get a credit and we would lose the other 6 meals. We, of course, knew that, we know how this works; but man... the whole restaurant found out we had a gift certificate.

So in the end, I am not reviewing the hotel, but I had to let people know that the lunch buffet (at least on Saturdays!) is not good.

Room Tip: Not reviewing the rooms, just the Bay View restaurant. I want to stress that
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Jackvine P, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Patricia L,

Thanks for reviewing your recent experience at our restaurant. This review is been analyzed by the executive chef, the sommelier and restaurant managers for corrective action to be taken. It is important to know every little detail in order to offer higher standards of service, quality and variety of food. I would like to offer my apologies for any inconveniences you and your party might have experience during your lunch.

Thank you again, your feedback is really appreciated, and I invite you to try our restaurant in the near future for you to see the changes. Below you will find the chef info in case you would like to make more comments or suggestion, and also mine to make in case you would like to reserve a breakfast, lunch or dinner I will make sure to have all set for you and your party.

Warm Regards,

Chef Dennis Garrido
dgarrido@miramarpanama.com

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed here on Sunday/Monday, April 6/7. I am a Royal Amb. member spending in excess of 60 days/years at the Intercontinental brands.
This was the worst experience I ever had at an Intercontinental brand.
1: Internet did not work. had to call 3 times before someone showed up. Broke down twice after it was "fixed".
2: Not hot water in the shower in the morning (17th floor)
3: One elevator did not work in the morning
4: No shampoo in the shower
5: One faucet in the bathroom was blocked
6: Airconditioning in the room is very noisy
7: Business floor is totally below any standard. One poor quality red wine was available at the "happy hour". No soft drinks available unless you order it. Half of the staff does not speak English. No English newspares/magazines.Fruit at the breakfast table was not fresh and had brown (!) spots. Place was not cleaned properly, etc etc.
8: Unfriendly staff and absolutely not motivated to serve you .
9: The service at the dining room/bar is below any standard and the buffett consists of very plain food.
10: Gym: equipment is OK however the place is dirty and unattended. Two cleaning personnel had a 40 minute social conversation while i was working out...!

General impression: Very poor, all I can say positive is that the location is excellent. I strongly recommend the Intercontinental management to cancet their contract with this hotel.
I am sure that the local guest manager will be writing some "blah blah blah" as a response however it will not help unless they completely refurbish the place and educate all personnel.
Will never come back!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dolph R

Dear Mr. Berends,

Greetings from Panama City,

Thank you for your review. We tried to solve everything while you were with us, sorry if we couldn’t fulfill your needs in a timely manner. Notes will be taken about your case for further referrals.

Regards,

Reviewed 8 April 2014

It's a beautiful, newly renovated complex, with an extremely helpful and accommodating staff. Didn't eat at the hotel once because it's walking distance from some amazing, authentic Panamanian cuisine for CHEAP. They offer driving services that charge by the hour which is great if you want to go sight seeing (Canal, Panama Viejo & Casco Viejo, etc.) ASK FOR JOEL- he was our driver / tour guide and knew everything about everything about the history of Panama (his English isn't the best but he knows his stuff), I have a new found appreciation for Panama after everything he explained to us. Great lobby bar and serve cocktails freshly made- not that pre-mixed mixer nonsense. Sound too good to be true? Keep reading...

HERE'S THE CATCH: The location is this hotel's gift and its curse- it's walking distance from authentic Panamanian restaurants, shopping AND it's right along the water with a fantastic view of the bay and Panama City skyline. It's quite an impressive view waking up to in the morning, and I guarantee you WILL wake up in the morning. Why? Because the hotel is also tucked in between two busy roads (1 highway, 1 main street). Unfortunately the noise cancellation is non existent so you will be able to hear traffic zooming by left and right all day long. Same can be said while lounging at the pool. Not noisy at all at night though.

Overall, if you can get over the early morning wake-up, (and you better because it's a beautiful country with a lot to be seen and learned) then it's pros FAR outweigh its cons. Only reason I didn't give it a 5 was the outside noise level and snail-like wifi.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Jackvine P, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Albert G,

Greetings from Panama City,

Mr. Albert thank you for sharing with us and other travelers your recent experience at our hotel. I will personally show your kind words to Joel, and I know that this will make him feel very special and keep on offering high standard of service to all of our guests. I am also glad to read how much you enjoyed our lobby bar, the atmosphere, and freshly made cocktail from our staff; our goal is to always offer the best for the enjoyment of our guests.

I will take notes about some of the areas of improvements like internet, and room’s noise cancellation for future renovations. I would like to thank you again for taking the time to let us know a little bit of everything that you got to experience no to mention the magnificent view and privileged location in the middle of the city and right next to the coast.

InterContinental Miramar will remain as your home away from home if your future travels brings you back to our beautiful city.

Warm Regards,