“Always reliable, a safe bet.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Panama Marriott Hotel

Panama Marriott Hotel
Ranked #15 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
“Always reliable, a safe bet.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Well located in the busy financial area. Good restaurants in the area. Easy access.

Unfortunately the hotel is undergoing renovations which limited the dining options. The staff was very nice.

I do hope housekeeping will keep a closer eye on the cleaning of the rooms. There were crumbs on the carpet right by the beds...used towels hanging on the bathroom door....

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
PTYPA, Front Office Manager at Panama Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Chopirina,

We appreciate you for taking the time to review our hotel. Our restaurant and lobby will be completed in the near future.

We will share your comments on the guest room with the housekeeping manager so we can improve for future costumers.

Come back soon.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights on our way home from the Galapagos Islands. It's a nice hotel in the financial district. The room was large and the front desk was friendly and helpful. However, we had two really negative experiences with the transportation company working with the hotel. We asked the Concierge for help in arranging a half-day tour of the old city and canal. The tour guide/driver they found did a great job, but when we were about 10 minutes from the hotel, he started peppering us with questions about payment. The Concierge had said the charge ($80, I believe) would go straight to our room, but the driver wanted us to "cancel" that and pay him directly. We told him we didn't want to bother with this, and he was clearly upset. He said he'd charge us less than $80, he'd have to wait 2 weeks to get paid from the hotel, etc etc. It was really uncomfortable, but we stuck to our guns.

Well, we used the Concierge to book a car to the airport the next morning for our very early flight. We checked with them twice to make sure it was arranged. When we got downstairs before 6am, the bellman said our car was ready. But when we went outside, we found that same driver from the day before. He told us that the car we booked had "taken someone else," and that no one could help us for 20-30 minutes. His car was sitting right there, and we asked him why he couldn't take us. He said he was waiting for another customer. And then he said, "This is why you should deal with the transportation company directly, not the hotel." After 10 minutes of frantic searching, we ended up getting a regular yellow cab, who was much cheaper than the hotel rate, and the driver was very nice to boot. Since we'd built in a little extra time, we made our flight without an issue.

Still, this is totally unacceptable. To us, and to any traveler, there is no difference between the Marriott and the transportation company they contract with. For us to have a driver harangue us about payment details that were already taken care of, and then to not have a pre-reserved car ready for us, is unacceptable. Even worse, the Marriott's driver then blamed us for the problem, saying we shouldn't have worked with the hotel for either the tour or the car ride to the airport.

There's clearly a big problem with the company the Panama Marriott uses for transportation. We are Marriott Gold members and we are just shocked at this. It's completely unacceptable.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ian L
PTYPA, Front Office Manager at Panama Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Ian L

We appreciate you for taking the time to share your comments.

We have spoken to the taxi transportation company about your experience and they are taking strong measures to correct the issue.

My sincere apologies for all the inconvenience this has caused you.

Thank you for your kind words on our front desk staff.

If you plan to visit Panama again, please feel free to call me directly for any needs.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

My family and I stayed at the Marriott for a week. I have stayed at many Marriott properties across the globe(Platinum Premier Member), and I must say this property exceeds my expectations. The front desk staff specifically, Elzebir, Karina, and Lineth were exceptional in dealing with all of our needs. Concierge staff was knowledgable and direct. So many new properties have opened in Panama, however, I have no reason to search as I have found a great place to stay. Great job!

Clifford P.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Clifford P,

We are very happy to have you back home at the Panama Marriott Hotel.
As a Platinum Premier Member, thank you very much for your loyalty to our Marriott Brand.

We really enjoyed meeting your family and we wish you all the happiness in this new stage of your life.

Your super comments on Karina and Lineth are very much appreciated.
As always, we are here to help, let us know if you need anything along the way.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Nice hotel- I'm platinum with Marriott and they upgraded me to a bigger room. Staff was very helpful. No complaints. Go to the Panama Canal to see the museum but don't go believing you are going to see the Love Boat go through it with people cheering and cameras flashing. You will see a giant ugly tanker slowly go through, but still go see it. Roads in Panama are terrible so wouldn't advise renting a car, but maybe I'm just not adventerous enough. Lots of illegal money from Russia and other countries have made its way into the building boom of Panama city, so it now has a beautiful skyline.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Psnpsn,

Thank you for being a Marriott Platinum Member, we really value your loyalty.
We are very happy that you enjoyed our large guest rooms and our staff service.

Come back and a visit us soon!

Kind regards,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

My mom and I just ended our eight night stay at the Marriott. We had a great experience. I've stayed at many Marriott properties in the US and abroad and this Marriott exceeded my expectations. The room was an adequate size and cleaned very well daily. The lobby was very modern and the lobby staff were welcoming every time you enter.

My mom and I have a strict gm regimen and we were able to do more than we anticipated. The hotel. The cardio machines were modern with television channels and iPod docks. There were also weight machines, free weights, mats (ideal for ab workouts and planking)! The very clean gym overlooked the pool and hit tub.

Finally, I must comment on the staff. They were all so nice. Concierge and housekeeping were great. The concierge was able to make reservations when I couldn't on my own. Housekeeping willing cleaned our sneakers when we came in from our jungle tour. My favorite staff was Karina! She made me feel at home just like a member of m family would: I highly recommend the Marriott. It's in a great location and the staff is one of a kind!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nikki M
PTYPA, Front Office Manager at Panama Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear Nikki M,

We love your fantastic comments on the Panama Marriott Hotel.
We really appreciate your kind words on our hotel staff. Karina is one of a kind and she does a super job at making our guest feel at home.
I have shared your review with Karina and she is extremely happy.
Our restaurant is currently under renovation and we invite you to visit us in the near future.
Thanks again and hope to see you soon.

Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Very well-maintained room and property overall. I found the room size to be above average, a very nice bathroom, and a view of downtown. Safe and centrally-located, easy trip to all the sights of Panama City. The coffee bar downstairs, Sabores, is the perfect place for a quick breakfast before heading out, and the ladies running it while I was there went out of their way to make sure we were happy. The gym is very, very nice, and so is the pool and hot tub. I also found the concierges to be very informed and helpful. The adjoining casino is also nice, very clean and safe as far as I could tell. There's nothing above and beyond outstanding about this property; it's just a very well staffed and maintained Marriott right in the middle of Panama City. And for the price, I considered it an outstanding value.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear roadrunner8815,

We are very pleased that you enjoyed the Panama Marriott Hotel.
Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel.
Our guests do love our Sabores Deli with our friendly and efficient staff.
Come back soon!

Regards,
Guam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

The rooms were very comfortable and big. Loved the bed, big tv, sitting area and large bathroom with amenities. The staff are so nice and helpful. I was really happy with the Marriott service and room but the location was a little sketchy-- especially directly across the street where the women of the night would appear to entertain the men. There were a few nice restaurants close by but the area for walking around was less than desirable-- away from all the other good sightseeing spots, shopping, and better restaurants. As a solo female traveler, I didn't feel safe walking at night as the sidewalks weren't well lit and the cracked sidewalks made you vulnerable to tripping or injury risk from manholes with missing covers. Again, the hotel was great, the location, although still central to the city, was not easy walking to more fun areas.

Room Tip: A piece of advice-- ask for a higher floor. I stayed on the 3rd floor right above the ballroom and...