“Good value and decent location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Panama Canal, Panama

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Panama Canal, Panama
Ranked #30 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
Schwechat, Austria
“Good value and decent location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

I visited this hotel while visiting the canal and it was just fine. The breakfast was wonderful, the pool area was decent even though the whirlpool was drained with no explanation, the views right on the canal were awesome (even saw a navy ship go through, literally 100 yards from my balcony), and the staff was friendly. A TGI Fridays was attached with a bar, although I do not eat at places like that. Very close to the causeway and some excellant food, and there are taxi drivers always outside to take you anywhere. I think I paid $40 for a taxi to drive me around all day...not bad! The aircon in the rooms leaves a bit to be desired, as my room seemed damp the entire time...I was usign points so I didn't really care but it was a bit uncomfortable. Also, be sure that your patio door locks. They originally assigned me to a room and I couldn't get the door to lock....called down and they said that no one really bothers with that...HUH???? No one cares if their door is locked? That was insulting to me but they moved me anyways so all was well.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the canal
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Addicted_to_SBH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Stamford, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

Our room was dirty, the pool area was crowded and dirty, breakfast was made for geriatrics (bland food that's easily digestible) and the surrounding area is completely geared toward bloated, English speaking cruise ship tourists. I cannot recommend this hotel. The only redeeming factor was the front desk service - they were nice, but did nothing to remedy our complaints about the dirty room.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank nicholebowers
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Panama Canal, Panama, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
We are so extremely unhappy to hear of the challenges that you experienced while visiting our hotel. It is our goal that each guest leaves satisfied with their stay. Please know that your comments have been heard and we are working very diligently to ensure that this situation does not happen again. We hope that the next time that time you are in our area, you will return to see that we have been able to make changes to exceed your expectations.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

I loved the location of this property. My balcony had a canal view of the ships passing by. In the mornings I would walk the causeway or hike to Ancon Hill. The most amazing tucans visit the trees by the pool. Definitely has the jungle feel with the city amenities. My favorite was the breakfast buffet. I also loved Adriano the hotel taxi driver. I hired him 4 days in a row for various activities. He is quite the tour guide.

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank ChemicalGal
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed at Country Inn in Amador twice during a recent trip to Panama. We found the staff to be helpful and efficient. The breakfast was significantly better than most complimentary hotel breakfasts with a broad assortment of fresh fruit, yogurt and hot items. The view of the canal is impressive especially when the ships enter the canal through the Bridge of the Americas. Rooms were clean on both visits and beds were comfortable.

Only complaints were 1)location is fairly far from shopping, Casco Viejo or anything you might like to see at night (Fridays restaurant aside). Cabs are plentiful and easy to use. 2) there is some cleaning (stairs to 4th floor for example) that has been overlooked for a long while. Hotel should try to address this.

Neither of these points should dissuade you from paying a visit.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank ChicagoOnthego
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed 2 nights in a room overlooking the canal. We loved the view and the location. A long walk or a short taxi ride to the end of the causeway takes you to many good restaurants. Our favorite was Lenos y Carbon.

Room Tip: The view in the canal rooms is excellent.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sandgypsies
Smiths Grove, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

Prior to going to Panama City I checked on the reviews of the Country Inn and Suites. The reviews are mixed. It depends on what you are looking for as to whether you will like the property. I had a single room facing the canal on the night of June 12. The room was okay. The bathroom divides the room in half. As you enter, you walk into a sitting area which lacks an outside window. To me that room was dark and unwelcoming. As you pass the bathroom you enter the sleeping area which also gives you access to the balcony. With a king size bed that space was very tiny. Though the bed and pillows were comfortable.

If you are wanting a more Panamanian experience this hotel is not for you. You are surrounded by other Americans and lots of English is spoken. I like a more host country experience. I want to be in a hotel where I can walk to places. The area around the hotel is quiet but there is nothing to walk to. Thankfully there is a TGI Fridays attached. The night I was there Panama was playing Cuba so that awesome hanging out with all the red shirt Panamanians as they cheered on their team.

From a distance the breakfast area was clean. If you looked more closely there was dirt along the wall boards. They do use fresh fruit but the eggs and meat are just reheated meaning that they are prepared elsewhere. I was disappointed that the pool was not clean.

I did see a ship pass by as it left the canal. That was neat. At the same time you could pay a taxi to take you to the hotel and watch ships as they pass by. For me the hotel was over priced and not that comfortable or clean. I would choose a hotel in a more central location. But once again, it all comes down to what you are looking for.

Room Tip: The hotel taxi service was friendly.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank RPWORLD
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

Upon check in, we were given a great room facing the Panama Canal from which we could view ships entering and exiting the canal, as well as the Bridge of the Americas. Our room was very clean and quiet, with a most comfortable bed. Preferred this location over staying in over priced and noisy Casco Viejo or the sterile high-rise downtown business district. While this hotel is indeed undergoing some renovation and new building, we had none of the problems mentioned in some of the previous reviews. Service was excellent at all times, with a special thanks to Senor Cesar Knight, the Sr. Mgr. The complimentay breakfast was very good, with different types of eggs, meats and juices every morning of our 7 day stay of late May and early June. They even had real maple syrup for the waffles! The cookie and mint candy jars by the service desk, which I frequented more than several times, was a nice touch. Would we stay here again and recommend it to our friends, you betcha!

Room Tip: If available, request an upper floor canal facing room.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple