“Nice Hotel but Terrible Experience”

The Bristol Panama Hotel & SPA
Ranked #5 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Panama City, Panama
“Nice Hotel but Terrible Experience”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stayed for a night for my brother's wedding. Very Cozy rooms and really good food. Excellent attention. Unfortunately, my fiancee forgot her wedding ring because I moved it from where she left it. Afterwards, we did the checkout. Three hours later, she realized she did not picked up her ring when we left. We came back and it was not where I put it. When I called asking for the ring they said they only had my collar, which I also forgot. It is very strange they did not called me as soon as they found the collar and I had to ask for it. Anyways, they did all the effort to locate the ring but it was not possible. My advice is to be careful with your personal belongings, specially the most valuable. It does not matter if it is the best hotel, bad things may happen, even losing your fiancee/wife's ring.
Another tip is to leave the valuables in the safety box. By doing this, you can claim the insurance for theft or any other sinister that may happen. Unfortunately I did not do this, so I cannot claim anything.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Pierre Jean Fra... B, Director General at The Bristol Panama Hotel & SPA, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for writing a review about us in TripAdvisor.

As I mentioned it to you during last conversation, an hotel cannot be held responsible for value items which are not kept in the free safe deposit box available in the room. By searching the room we found another jewelry (a gold necklace) which was left in the bed sheets, this would be a proof that our staff is honest.

As promised by phone, we opened the lavabo plumbing but unfortunately nothing was found. I tried to call you twice on your cellphone yesterday but I did not get any answer from you.

Best regards

Pierre Berthier

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Korean first
New York
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed her more than 6 times over past 18 months. Stay in new tower. Small pool. Gym is quite good. Breakfast is good - recommend going out to great restaurants in panama city for dinner. 858 lounge is cool to have dinner at the bar.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Pierre Jean Fra... B, Director General at The Bristol Panama Hotel & SPA, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time of writing this review of our hotel.

Thank you for enjoying all our services, the comfort and amenities of our room as well as our service in general. It is always a pleasure for me to see some returning satisfied guests.

As you already have been to our 2 restaurants, I suggest you to try our Spa at the 25th floor during your next stay with us.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This was out third stay at this hotel in the past 3 years and the service and staff have only gotten better.
We recommend the new tower for a room location as these are modern with all the bells and whistles as well as a nice view of the city and historic areas.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Pierre Jean Fra... B, Director General at The Bristol Panama Hotel & SPA, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time of writing this review of our hotel.

We hope to welcome you during your 4th visit to Panama!

Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Bristol Hotel ten-star of "Gorgeous" inside and out. I was so impressed with my room, I did not want to leave to go on a day of "WOW" sightseeing. I wanted to just stay in bed drinking coffee all day long. Oh lets not forget the drop dead bathroom that I could just pack up and take back home with me to California. The bathtub, I stayed in 2 hours with a good book, my roommate kept knocking on the door. LOL, I told her to go downstairs another priceless restroom.

I have to give a shot out to the Front Desk, Concierges and Housekeeping. If it was not for those Departments I would have ruined my trip before it could start. Bristol Hotel help me when my knee gave out on me, they went over the call of duty. I will never forget, because they fully accommodated me a foreigner and I
am for ever "Humble".

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Pierre Jean Fra... B, Director General at The Bristol Panama Hotel & SPA, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time of writing this review of our hotel.

Your compliment are really a positive stroke for us and push us to keep a high standard personalized service toward our guests. I will pass over your comments to the department that you kindly wrote in your note.

Maybe should you come back, you'll have to try our Spa on the last floor next time

We hope to welcome you again during your next visit to Panama.

Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Our first time to Panama city so we carefully researched all hotels. We have stayed in many hotels around the world and this is one of the best. Start with the staff. Very, Very friendly, efficient service. From check -in to check-out. I injured my knee and had to go to the emergency room and Wendy, the concierge made all of the arrangements. The front doormen and staff from the front desk all assisted in getting me to the Emergency Room. The 30 day free tourist medical care came in handy. Very comfortable room, close to many restaurants. View from the hotel could be better but that is minor. Enjoyed very friendly and efficient service in all of the hotel's restaurants. What makes this hotel is the staff and we will definitely return.

Room Tip: Choose a deluxe king for added comfort.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marvin F
Pierre Jean Fra... B, Director General at The Bristol Panama Hotel & SPA, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time of writing this review of our hotel.

I pass on to Wendy your positive comments as well as to the rest of the Front Desk staff.

We hope to welcome you again during your next visit to Panama and hope that you will try our Spa on the last floor where the view is exceptional.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This place is five-star elegance. They really accommodate your every need. If you are on a nonworking vacation, you may want to consider a less formal hotel. I love the fact that there are casinos within reach. Their breakfast is top notch.

Room Tip: Some room to give you a view of a lower roof that isn't so nice.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Pierre Jean Fra... B, Director General at The Bristol Panama Hotel & SPA, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time of writing this review of our hotel.

We hope to welcome you again during your next visit to Panama.

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Our stay at Bristol was a disaster.
We decided this hotel because is one hotel of the Leading's Group, that I think it means luxury, comfort, efficiency of structure and staff. Unfortunately, nothing of these things.
Start with positive points: good view from the relax room at the spa, good spa's menu, nice furniture. That's all.
The gym is too small and needs more machines and there's no mat, no ball for exercise, incredible!
The air conditioner, particularly at the restaurant, is too high, so that eating becomes annoying!
But if some tourists don't mind of high air conditioner or don't go to the gym, big problems concern the staff.
More than one time, the concierge told us wrongs information, even one day we woke up really early (about 5 am) just to go on a boat trip into the Panama Canal, but at the place indicated, there was no boat and no trip in that day!!!!
Further, we needed to send a DHL: they weren't capable of sending a DHL! We waited 3 days for this!
Further, as the air-company had lost our luggage, we asked to the concierge to inform us about any news of our luggage: she wasn't able to inform us even when the air-company called the hotel to say that our luggage had arrived in Panama! We had to solve this problem by ourselves.
Further, just to put a small cherry on the cake, we reserved some treatments at the spa: one day, at the time of our appointments, we canned not do them, because they said that one therapist was sick, and the other was occupied (but I simply think that they had forgotten to sign them in their agenda!)
Naturally, It was a stay that made us very stressed and upset.
We thank Mr. Pandolfi, the General Manager of the structure, that, sorried of the inefficiencies, invited us for a dinner at the restaurant (but we canned not accept for the problem of the air conditioner that, after the first-and last- time we had dinner there, caused me an attack of vomit during the night), therefore, he didn't let us pay two massages we had done at the spa.
I'm very sorry for this negative experience in a Leading hotel, I've been in other Leading hotels in the world, but Bristol in Panama is really not at the level of the Group.
The biggest problem is the inefficiency, incapability and not qualified staff (not all of them can speak English, and so they can't understand you).
Do something and now, please.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Maruzz
Pierre Jean Fra... B, Director General at The Bristol Panama Hotel & SPA, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time of writing this review of our hotel.

Regarding your various comments about our hotel, let me point out few things.

We are not managing DHL and even if we call them many times we unfortunatly cannot control them. Your excursión to the canal was planned with a Travel Agency and not with the hotel. We undertsand your frustration and are really sorry about it but ídem as DHL, the hotel have absolutly no responsability regarding this matter.

For the small gym, I am sorry to hear that it did not fulfill your expectation, As we are a small sized hotel and the gym is fully equipped with the latest machines and the size is adecuate to the size of the hotel. I did not understood very well your complain for staff overthere as we do not have any trainer in the Gym.

For the cool air in the restaurant, I also understand your complain, but this is mainly because the majority of our restaurant guests are requesting this cold temperature. Anyway when a guest ask us to heat up a bit, we always do it with pleasure if no others complain.

For the english, I am happy to inform you that we started since 2 weeks some english lessons for the staff and we hope to be able to improve this within few months.

I will investigate personaly regarding the problem of the Spa and take the necessary actions in order that this is not happening anymore. Thank you for bringing it up to my attention.

Best regards