“Service is not in their Food Menu -- Terrible is an understatement”

The Bristol Panama Hotel & SPA
Ranked #7 of 117 Hotels in Panama City
GreenLeadersSilver level
The Americas
“Service is not in their Food Menu -- Terrible is an understatement”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We sat down at the 8.58 Restaurant Bar. Nice ambiance. No service. A young waiter (name withheld out of basic human kindness) took our order. One small pizza, two salads. 45 minutes later no pizza; no salads. The young waiter kept saying: "it's on the way". The place was 2/3 empty. He also said the kitchen was busy. The place was 2/3 empty. Three people came in after we had been there 35 minutes. Their food took 10 minutes. We stood up and left. An even younger looking "supervisor" showed up. Nice smile but not a clue of customer service. (name withheld out of basic human kindness). All he could do was go into the kitchen and ask the waiter. Then the "supervisor" said: "Sorry you are leaving; the salad [which we ordered 45 minutes before] is almost ready" To add insult to injury, he handed us the bar tab (less than USD10.00) and pretended that we should pay it. Finally he said we did not have to. Wow! How much courtesy!! The following words did not come out of his mouth (or the waiters): "We are sorry" or "We apologize". The supervisor escorted us to the elevator with his nice smile and had the guts to tell us: "Have a great day and come back soon". Is this guy nuts???? If I was the hotel's general manager I would fire the waiter and sanction the supervisor for their ineptness. I cannot talk about the food because I did not get anything to eat. What a disappointment in a property which is supposed to be one of the very best in Panama City. Their Food and Beverage Service is certainly near the bottom of my list.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank ViajeroESQ
Pierre Jean Fra... B, Director General at The Bristol Panama Hotel & SPA, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Sir,

I was informed about this unfirtunate matter as you were with a friend of mine.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused to you. I know that will not give you the missed lunch, but I already tool some disciplinary actions as what occured is not admisible and never happened before.
Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Pierre Berthier

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Korean first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed at another 5-star hotel in Panama City on our arrival but were a little underwhelmed, hence us trying the Bristol on our return trip. What a great decision. The Bristol has it all .... more than the obvious requirements of a good hotel, it had MORE - warmth, friendliness and understated class! Staff were superb, rooms were comfortable (if I have to be reeeeeally critical, I would say the room's lighting was insufficient), the restaurant was outstanding! Needless to say, we shan't be hotel-hopping in Panama City anymore! Our sincere compliments to all those who make this a great home-from-home hotel!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Pierre Jean Fra... B, Director General at The Bristol Panama Hotel & SPA, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time of writing this review of our hotel.

Thank you for enjoying all our services, the comfort and amenities of our room as well as our service in general. Your compliment are really a positive stroke for us and push us to keep a high standard personalized service toward our guests.

Thank you for your comment regarding the lighting, I will pass it to our maintenance team.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I stayed here for the first & final night of my trip to Panama. I was going to be living on a sailboat exploring the San Blas Islands (Kuna Yala) for the week & this hotel was recommended to me by the staff for that sailboat. I am so glad I chose this location over the larger chain hotels as I feel I got not only a great deal but quality and personal service. The hotel arranged for me to store my luggage there for the week without charge & I thought that was a nice touch. The hotel has full internet/wifi which is a must when I am traveling & my suite room was exceptional as well. I would definitely upgrade to a nicer room- the views are of the city & nothing special but the room is very cozy & luxurious. Comfy dreamy bed & linens & a girls dream bathroom fixed with a jacuzzi tub/robe/ slippers!

~Great rates/prices comparable to other hotels in the area but Bristol's service, amenities, & quality of the hotel far exceeds the price you are paying to stay there!

~ I heard great things about the onsite restaurants but all I had time for was the room service food which blew my mind so I can only imagine the food in their two wonderful restaurant. In the evening they has a nightclub/loungy sort of atmosphere in the restaurant downstairs- I was intrigued to go in but was exhausted from my San Blas trip that final night. My friends ate at the upper floor restaurant and raved at how wonderful the food and atmosphere was!

~In addition to every detail of the room & hotel being pristine, the hotel room service food was out of this world! I highly recommend the sea bass dish on the menu- it was gourmet all the way & a pleasant surprise!

If I'm ever in Panama City again I would definitely stay here...I am a solo traveler but always enjoy the finer things in life- this hotel was safe, comfortable, & quality!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank MissD819

Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Although we just stood here for a night the hotel was really good, the service was excellent. When we arrives they welcome us with small warm towels, and the check in and check out process was quick. We went to San blas on our last day in panama and we didn't want to take the bags with us, so they gave us a locker where we could keep it. Couldn't try the spa, but it looked nice.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time of writing this review of our hotel.

You definitly will have to try our Spa at the 25th floor during your next stay with us. I know that you will not regret it!

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Amazing experience!! Spend whole weekend with my wife after business trip, just like another honeymoon. The luxury and romantic room really make us surprise, it is a classy hotel with best room, facility, condition and service. Would like to try the SPA next time, just couldn’t make it this time.
The big and luxury room is really romantic and comfortable, the classy decoration make me really like it.
The location is little bit hard to find, when my friend tried to give a ride for us, take a lot of time to find the place, and you need to walk a little bit to find good restaurant and bars.

Room Tip: If you want to have better view from the room, chose tower room and you will be in higher floors.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richardymx
Pierre Jean Fra... B, General Manager at The Bristol Panama Hotel & SPA, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time of writing this review of our hotel.

You'll definitly have to try our Spa on your next trip to Panama!

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

The installations are very nice, the attentions are excellent, the rooms are very comfortable, the gym area is very complete it is located in very good spot of the city.
The breakfast has many options where one can choose from and also have a menu if you would like to order something.

I recommended to anyone who needs to visit Panama on a business trip.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Byron F
Pierre Jean Fra... B, Director General at The Bristol Panama Hotel & SPA, responded to this review, 31 July 2014

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We spent one night and it was more than expected the room was great, the fact that you can control de temperature in the room was good. The gowns and the way they arranged everything for the night was incredible. The food at the restaurant was great and I loved the spa. Is luxury in the middle of the city. We were able to accomplish what we wanted. Rest without leaving the city.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple