“Good stay at the Sheraton 4 pts”

Sercotel Panama Princess
Ranked #55 of 117 Hotels in Panama City
New York City, New York
“Good stay at the Sheraton 4 pts”
Reviewed 11 December 2007

Stayed here with my husband recently on a vacation for a total of 5 nights (4 in a row, then 1 upon return to PCity). The room was spacious (not huge), with good beds (firm mattresses) and enough room to lay out all our belongings.

There were no robes, but plenty of towels. Another reviewer commented that the toiletries did not get replaced daily, and I found this to be true as well. The cleaning staff gladly gave us extra toiletries when asked. We also got additional towels within minutes of calling for them.

The one time we ate at the restaurant for dinner, the food was actually pretty good! Lasagna bolognese and a steak sandwich.

Breakfast was included with our room, and it was plentiful. Cereal, yogurt, fruit, cold cuts and cheese, omelettes made to order, different pastries and breads, sausages and a variety of daily "specials". Spanish and English language newspapers were also available.

Wireless internet access was available in the lobby and bar area. Kind of a pain to have to run downstairs every time we wanted to look something up, but it beat paying $14 per day for access!

There was a minor misunderstanding about an internet access charge at checkout. When I brought it up, the desk clerk graciously took that off my bill.

Some cons:
- The first day we arrived, there was old coffee left over in the coffee pot (had not been cleaned out).
- The shower curtains in the first room smelled of mildew.
- The sound of the toilet refilling drowned out the TV.
- Overall, the staff at the hotel did not seem too savvy in terms of helpful hints for tourists. For example, the staff hadn't heard about a restaurant nearby (ten bistro, in the hotel deville). When I asked about a place to buy water and snacks ($4 water in the room), I was directed to a pharmacy that didn't sell water (There's a "delicatessen" near the Burger King which sells snacks and drinks, including water).
- The hallway carpet was a bit dirty in our second room.
- the 5th floor proclaims itself (via a sign) a non-smoking floor, yet the floor always smelled of cigarette smoke.

Pros:
- nice, wide shower tub
- 1pm check out time
- quiet rooms
- on our last day, our flight left at 8pm. After walking around in the heat, we were able to come back, shower in the gym, and get ready to leave for the airport - all after checking out.
- clean gym locker room
- convenient location

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank J K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
USA
Reviewed 20 October 2007

Pretty good business hotel, although it got off to a bad start as I arrived late at night and the desk clerk claimed the reservation was for the previous night and that the hotel was filled. Neither statement was true, and I can only speculate why he made them. After offering me a suite for a higher price, he miraculously found an available room at the price I'd been guaranteed, and it was a very nice one for a three-day stay. The free room internet access was provided, and the omelettes and buffet for breakfast were fine. I found the location, in the new high-rise part of town, charmless, but it is relatively convenient to the airport and casco viejo.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank Xamb
Brooklyn New York
Reviewed 12 June 2007

Stayed here a total of 8 nights. Three nights, left one night, and then returned for five more. It was like a home away from home.
The hotel is well-kept, clean and quiet. As a member of Starwood Prefered Guest program, breakfast and internet were included and still showed up on the bill at check out. No complaints, just advise anyone watch the incidentals on the final bill at any hotel. These charges were graciously reversed once the matter was straightened out.
Welcoming us was a wonderful bell staff, but check-in was slow because the front desk had one person to handle all the guests.
The beds were comfortable, everyday there was a turndown service that brought cookies or a snack. Generally, returning at 10pm at night exhausted this was a nice touch.
There was a robe and slippers with the room which was a nice touch I generally see at brands that are more. One slight disappointment was that the coffee maker in the room had Maxwell House coffee singles and not a good Panamanian brand.
Never did get time to enjoy the pool but enjoyed looking at it from above. Noted that the pool is meticulously cleaned every morning.
The hotel is located in an area of Panama City called Marbella, where it is easy enough to catch a street cab (the hotel taxi is min $5.00) and be in the business district in about 5.
The breakfast buffet is a good deal, if it is included. I don't know what it costs separate, but I reccommend it. A couple of times the friendly wait staff helped me assemble orders to go when I was running short on time.
Every morning there is a paper, either the English version Miami Herald or the native Prensa.

• Liked — Comfortable Beds
  • Disliked — Internet Wi-Fi requires password (typically a room charge that was reversed because of membership in SPG program)
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank cpworsham
Panama
Reviewed 11 December 2006

Four Points Sheraton is located in a convenient location in Marbella, one of the trendier spots in Panama City. The rooms are comfortable, the facilities for business trips supportive, including the gym and spa facilities. It is within walking distance of movie theatres and the MultiPlaza Shopping Center. One of the best salons in Panama City is located next to the Sheraton, including boutiques, wine shop, etc. Great, convenient location.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Great Location
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled on business
5 Thank Wold
Seattle,WA
Reviewed 26 October 2006

I stayed here for two nights and it was an adequate hotel. The room was small, but had a great view and was comfortable. The bathroom was really tiny, but was fine.

The pool area was quite grungy, the water was murky, there was debris on the pool floor, and the staff left a giant manhole with a 7 foot drop open during the hours that the pool was open. This seemed very dangerous to me since I was at the hotel with three kids! The steam room and spa smelled bad, the gym was pathetic, and I never saw anyone on duty in this area.

The restaurant was ok, but definitely overpriced for Panama. Breakfast was $9 which is fine for the USA, but way too much for Panama AND for what was offered.

I stay in the Sheraton ONLY because I have points that allow me a free room. It is out of the way and not in the hub of things. I definitely would not stay here if it wasn't free!

• Liked — The staff were very pleasant and attentive
  • Disliked — The pool area
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LaFula

Travellers are raving about these Panama City hotels

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 26 July 2006

This hotel is definitely not managed like the "Sheratons" in the US. I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. I would have rated the hotel "average" if it weren't for an incident I had on the last night. I fell 1 block away from the hotel as I was walking and got a very bad cut. I was bleeding all over the place. When I finally arrived at the hotel, I asked the hotel front desk for a first aid kit which they did not have!! What type of hotel does not a first aid kit?!?!?

Negatives: toiletries were not replaced daily, no first aid kit, the gym is pathetic (2 20-yr old treadmills, a spin bicycle, and a couple of very old weight machines)... and the gym attendant was never there. The omelette ladies in the restaurant are SUPER slow (pretty pricy breakfast for Panama - $11/person).

Positives: good location, friendly staff

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Gym
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank SuperFantantabulous
miami
Reviewed 27 March 2006

I am from Panama City and returned with my fiancee, my sister and her boyfriend after about a year and a half.
We found the Sheraton to be very reasonably priced and in a very good location so we decided to stay here. Surprisingly enough 80$ got us a suite with its bedroom, 1.5 bathrooms, and a pretty spacious living room. The rate in Panama for the Suite is over 200$!
When reserving a suite online you have to make sure you indicate that that at least two people will be staying in the room.

Arrival was without a problem. The doormen were very helpful and the room was very clean and spacious. It also included a VCR (not sure when one would use it), 2 TV's and a radio/cd player in the living room.

Parking is free. All you have to do is validate your ticket everytime you leave the lot.

Room service was very good in my opiniion. One morning after a long night of partying (all the good clubs/bars are within 5-10 minutes by car/taxi) we decided all we wanted was fast food from BK accross the street. We called up the front desk and had them go accross the street to pick up some burgers. Within 10 minutes we had our Whoppers and fries in our room!

As said by other comments, the bar is nothing to brag about. It's OK for a drink or two while you're waiting only. There are plenty of bars nearby which are great. I recommend Oz (bar/lounge accross the street) or Rock Cafe (club...if you want to get a little crazier) or the bar at the Decapolis Hotel (10 minute walk; South Beach style...especially good Friday nights).

We never used the pool but it looked decent and pretty clean.

Internet is expensive and I agree, not much help. I could not get my laptop to work with the ethernet connection and all they did was check to see if I was actually connected. I ended up using the internet at the business center for a minimal fee.

Overall I was pretty content with the hotel. For 80$ a night I received all I wanted and more. The hotel is in a very good location, clean, good service. I would recommend it highly for anyone who wants to stay in the city. With so much to do in Panama, you wont be in the hotel most of the day anyways...

• Stayed January 2006