“Will Never stay there again!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel El Panama

Hotel El Panama
Ranked #51 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Will Never stay there again!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

We just got back from Panama, and stayed at the El Panama Hotel! What a mistake! The price was not cheap, and the accommodations on the eighth floor were horrible. The noise from a party that was going on the floor above us made sleeping un feasible no matter that we called front desk and asked why so much noise. The following night there was a party going on in the room next to us replete with hookers and who knows what else. Calling front desk and complaining about all the noise made no difference. Management was quick to charge us for coffee at $3.50 per small cup, and $30.00 per person for breakfast. We went to a really nice restaurant around the corner for one forth the price. I'm sure this comment will not be posted, but in the event that it is, avoid the El Panama Hotel. I was warned, but had to learn for myself!

Room Tip: Don't get a room on Eighth floor!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JOHN V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Hebrew first
Panama Province, Panama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed on April, for 3 days and we had a good time! The hotel`s room was not so new and renovated it, BUT the staff was really nice and helpful. We had good and refreshing pina coladas at the lobby and pool bar... we enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank LMa S
Coral Springs, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel is not bad, but not special.

The lobby looks good and the staff is friendly.

The rooms are a little dated and uninspiring.

I had one bad experience is the hotel. I checked in and had to rush out so rather than go upstairs I left my luggage in the storage locker. I returned that night and asked for my luggage. No one could find the key and acted as if they really didn't care if got my luggage or not. It was not until I started raising my voice that the check in clerk decided to open the draw to her desk and give the bellman the key. The key was in her desk all along!! Are you kidding me!!

I know I won't be stayng here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RobertStewartJA
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

My whole trip to Panama was not as expected. Bad weather for almost a week, dated hotel, below everage rooms and no added value.
I cannot comment on the room as the only good thing was the size. All the rest was just acceptable and very regular.
The breakfast was good and the staff helpful.
Check in/out was slow and impersonal.
The area was ugly and really South American style (Caracas, Bogota style) When you enter the shops nobody bothers and keep ignoring you. Wanted to buy some American sport brands but backed up once I realised all the shop staff were the same! Never experienced this before anywhere else in the world.
Overall impression of the hotel: disappointed.
The pool however was nice and enjoyed it the last day only when the weather got better.
I chose this hotel just because of the price, which was lower than in other similar hotels. Now I know why!
I would not return again!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Ludwig70
Arnhem, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

The staff is rude and unwilling to help you or answer questions. Asking for a spoon and a coffee 4 times at the breakfast table, had no effect. Rooms are okay but waterbottles were not available in the rooms, eventhough drinking tabwater is not safe. The disco at the pool is loud and attracts locals who hang out at the pool for a day, covered in tattoos, smoking and drinking in front of kids. They claim the pool beds and the pool. One of the worst hotels I have ever been to! If you have other options, skip this hotel.

2 Thank Urs03

Travellers are raving about these Panama City hotels

dallas, tx
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

Azucena at westin

If I get a response from management, my head will explode. They aren't even trying. This hotel needs to think that all guests will write reviews. If they respond to this review it is simply lip service. It was quite shameful. I'll start with the good - the lobby is beautiful and updated. The restaurants are immaculate and the pool looks very nice. The bad - they DESPERATELY need to get a bartender at the Bonsai Lounge that knows what he's doing. Sat at bar and asked for a Heineken and white wine. Had to leave (?) for the wine. When he came back we asked if we could use the drink vouchers for them. "No, they are for punch." Whatever. We wanted to bill it to our room. Mounds of paperwork later... Anyway, decided to try our luck again after dinner. Same "bartender" there. This time I look at the drink menu, SHOW him what I want (a petite Chandon Brut bottle). He proceeds to the refrigerator, pulls out a full size black bottle of Frexienet, asks one of the other ladies behind the bar if it is champagne, opens it, pours me about half a tiny champagne flute AND charges the $9. Oh, and it was extra-dry and not brut. He had NO business being behind a bar. By the way, I SPEAK SPANISH. The ugly - they put us in room 125. Down the hall from ballrooms/banquet/meeting rooms, etc. The room was big. No key to the minibar. Extremely outdated. But the worst part was the air conditioner. It never cooled the room. It was one of those swamp coolers that leave the room musty and humid. And warm. It was VERY uncomfortable to sleep (I'm exhausted as I write my draft of this review). And it didn't help that the beds were incredibly uncomfortable as well. They were very firm and the sheets were not soft at all. Because of the warm room and uncomfortable bed, I sweat a lot. My pillow was soaked. Gross for the next guest. Oh, and apparently the middle of the night is when they decided to clean the banquet halls. If I would have stayed longer I would have switched rooms. But I know I'll never be back. It is sad because I'm Panamanian and I recall the days that the Hotel El Panama was THE premier hotel to stay.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mike3
PTY1111, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel El Panama, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear Guest
Please accept our warm greetings on behalf of the Management and staff of Hotel El Panama, Casino and Convention Center.
We would like to thank you for sharing your comments and reviews and wish to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us.
It our mission to verify every detail of our quality and customer service; therefore, your comments and opinion are very important as they will ultimately help us identify opportunities for ours and our staff improvement.
We have taken a serious view of each of the areas you made comments or suggestions about and are working hard in ensuring that all our services meet and exceed our guests’ expectations.
In your next visit to Panama, please allow us to host you again. We will work very hard to change your perception of our services by offering our disposition to serve you in a manner you will not soon forget.

Best Regard,
Exeter UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

El Panamá has an air of elegance combined with modern amenities and excellence of service of present day first class hotels.
The rooms are excellent, the location optimum and the huge well-managed ground area of the hotel impressive in this day and age. The food in the poolside grill is delicious and always cooked to perfection.
I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business