“Don't stay here - there are plenty of nice hotels in nice areas in Panama City”

Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Panama City, Panama
Ranked #52 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 15 November 2009

My husband and I were booked into this hotel on our "Grit and Glory" tour of the Panama Canal through Elderhostel, now Exploritas. I read the reviews and asked to be booked somewhere else - then was assured that this hotel is just fine. Well, it isn't fine.

Our first room was dank, with a window that faced a huge concrete wall. It was so large that we couldn't tell if it was day or night - sunny or raining. Everything needed to be upgraded. After complaining and being promised a different room, the staff told me they had changed their mind and we would stay in our current room. I demanded to talk to the manager, who did move us to a different room with a window. Also, this new room was next to a room being renovated, so we spent a couple hours in the afternoon listening to hammers and electric tools. Since it was pouring rain, it took this much noise and aggravation to push us out to explore around the hotel. Also, the free internet didn't work except standing under one of the wireless routers in the hall.

Hotel is located in a busy downtown area, nowhere near the much more interesting former Canal Zone or historical areas.

Walking into this hotel totally soured our feelings for the entire "Grit and Glory" tour of the Panama Canal - that we really enjoyed up until this last day. If I were recommending this tour to someone, I would strongly recommend skipping the last night in this hotel and spend the money to go back and stay somewhere interesting and acceptable - like the Amador Country Inn and Suites in the Former Canal Zone. Even if it's free, don't stay here.

• Stayed: November 2009
6  Thank VillasdePalermo

Reviewed 15 November 2009

I recommend you stay away from this hotel.

It is operated under license of the Carlson Company and has a sister property in Panama City named the Country Inn & Suites Amador. We stayed in both properties and the Amador location overlooking the Pacific entrance to the Panama Canal is a very nice property and should not be confused with El Dorado.

At the El Dorado, we were put into a room with a view of an air conditioning duct and a wall. Some daylight filtered into the air shaft, but not much. The room was small and badly furnished with shop-worn, dirty looking furnishings.

The public areas were not well tended with standing water at the foot of the stairs and a smell of ripe garbage in the stairwell.

This property has had other bad reviews and when our booking agent recommended we stay there we mentioned the bad reviews and were reassured that the hotel was not as reported. Trust me; it is as reported or worse. We have reported our experience to the booking agent and requested compensation. We shall see.

We complained to the property manager who somewhat reluctantly moved us into another room for the second night of our stay. The second room at least had a view of the busy street but was also saturated with cigarette or cigar odors. The shower provided a trickle of warm water. A tray of dirty plates from room service remained outside of our door for more than 24-hours and was there when we left.

The hotel is on a busy commercial street with few attractive restaurants or other points of interest within a reasonable walking distance. The restaurant on property is a TGI Friday's and is no more interesting than any other in the chain. The hotel advertises free high-speed internet connectivity and that is the case if you are willing to stand in the outdoor hallways under the router antennas.

Stay away from this place.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Nicaresident
Reviewed 1 September 2009

I stayed one night at the beginning of a week long trip to Panama and found the hotel to be pretty much what you expect from say a Hampton Inn in the States. Clean, well equipped room with nice bathroom with plenty of hot water. Staff helpfully arranged an early morning return taxi ride to the nearby Metropolitan Park. A highlight was the freshly cooked breakfast, much better than you expect in a similar establishment in the US

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank davidrossmiller
Reviewed 11 March 2009

I had the misfortune to spend 2 nights at this hotel on a trip through Panama. It was booked by the Travel Agency I used who I have advised of the same.

The room was filthy and smelt very musty. The hot water was tepid and the Front Desk most unhelpful.

To be avoided at all costs.

• Stayed: February 2009
2  Thank Mango74
Reviewed 8 January 2009

We were passing through Panama City enroute to other destinations, and needed a hotel for just one night lay-over. Our travel company booked at the Country Inn El Dorado, which because of it's US-based affilitation, seemed to be an ok choice - economical, but we thought we would know what to expect.

We found this to be a bad assumption. While the staff was very nice, the hotel itself is worn out, generally not very clean (especially not the bathrooms), and lacked hot water for showers. There are much better options - don't let your tour company sell you a room at this one.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank al9249
Reviewed 2 September 2008

the hotel room was clean and nice.the free breafast was great, with the fruit being very sweet. the gift shop souveniers were priced great and with a large selaction. the staff were nice and always coffee and cookies available in lobby.it was a great experience with only 2 exceptions.the people that worked in the tour company on site had no motivation at all and acted like we were disturbing them.most tours are 4 people minimum and we were only 2 people in our party so they told us to come back when we had 4 people. The biggest complaint is that the hottub was broken when we arrived and stayed broken for the entire 7 days.when we asked daily, the reply is it would be fixed tomorrow. it never got fixed,it actually got drained.we did alot of hiking and walking and would not have stayed there had we known the hottub was broke.when i emailed panama suites upon my returned to the u.s.a.,they replied with a 1 night free stay only good at that location.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank lvtravelgirl
Reviewed 5 August 2008

Do not stay in this hotel,

I stayed there yesterday and the room was terrible... very dirty, musty smell, hair in the bed and bathroom etc. Even the table chair was so dirty that I had to use a pillow to cover it to be able to sit on it.

I need also to say that this was the second room, because the first one they booked me was so smelly of must that I refused to stay there so they gave me the second one that was a [--] hole.

Basically it was night and I could not change hotel but I change it in the morning and now I am fine here in another hotel.

I hope that helps.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank worldtraveler1010