“Old hotel operated by terrible people”

Continental Hotel & Casino
Ranked #41 of 113 Hotels in Panama City
Walnut Creek, California
“Old hotel operated by terrible people”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This hotel is terrible.

1. We arrived and there was no electricity. There was no warning given. They gave us the room keys, we get up there, and there is no power. They don't pick up their phone, you have to go down, and then most of them are talking to one another, rather than helping customers.

2. Extremely rude staff with a serious attitude. Definitely not what you want to be greeted to.

3. The rooms have been built with no workmanship. Loose tiles, poor caulking, things falling apart, a TV that isn't straight.

4. Way too expensive given that for the same price I can go and stay in a 5-star hotel for the same money.

5. Kind of eerie, gives off a very odd vibe.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank treepondersleaf
mpgiesemann, Manager at Continental Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Dear rrafay:

we apologize by the inconvenience of the electricity it was a matter of the city and the metro construction out of our hands, for the means of the employees that where rude i would love to have a more detailed version of what happened to you, i would appreciate if you send me your comments to reservations@continentalhotel.com.

sincerilly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I just left there yesterday, Sun Feb 5th so this report is accurate, I am currently staying at a different hotel because of the terrible noise, this hotel is located at a very busy intersection. I was on the 6th floor facing the street and believe me the traffic noise is horrible, the honking of horns is incessant day and night and the sound of trucks, cars and motorbikes will drive you crazy, there is construction going on all around this hotel so you will not get peace and quiet anywhere, they are building a Sonesta Hotel next door. One review said the pool view is inspiring...Huh! were we at the same hotel?...the pool view rooms face a huge ugly wall that is part of the construction and the pool is tiny, I never saw anyone in it during the 3 days I stayed at this hotel. The work out room is tiny and terrible, no towels and very limited equipment. I read other reviews, first of all breakfast is not free, it is $17 for buffet or $9 for continental style unless you get it included in your price of the room. The breakfast buffet is mediocre at best. The service was quite good and the people that work there are very friendly. The rooms are decent and clean. This hotel is cheaper than most in the area, so I guess you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the street on any level otherwise be prepared for a sleepless night and 4am...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Gedly888
mpgiesemann, Manager at Continental Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to explain your experience during your stay in our hotel. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We are taking care of all your recomendations in order to take the proper actions to resolve it. Again we apologize for all the inconvenience during your stay, we always strive to provide an excellent services to our guest. We would like to welcome you back in the near future and have the opportunity to make your stay an extraordinary experience.
Torrance, California
Reviewed 16 January 2012

people were very helpfull, desk, restaurant. The price of the food, very cheap and very good. room was very clean.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
thank you for giving us the opportunity to offer you our hospitality and service. your suggestions and opinions are very appreciated. Please forgive any inconvenience this may have had on your stay. We hope to see you again at our hotel during your next travel.
Reviewed 6 January 2012

A booked a package and wasn't sure about the hotel I got, got to the airport and my transportation wasn't there so I took a cab, worst mistake I could have done, the taxi drivers are crazy It is something NY wise but without the steess and streets they have, got to the hotel and thought this is as old as me, reception a great service, bellmen the best, I even met the lady who made my reservation, they have really big rooms, clean, a pool view that is inspiring, I'd love to come back on my next trip

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank gpnavy36
Dear Customer
Thank you for choosing the Continental Hotel & Casino during your trip to Panama. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our service.
We hope you give us another chance to serve you, if you happen to visit Cancun in the future.
Very truly yours,
BH/MG/Brasil
Reviewed 11 December 2011

the hotel is nice but the staff needs more training to treat better the guests. a comfortable room but a small swimming pool with lots of shadows.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 4 December 2011

We stayed here on Dec 1, 2011 for one night. I had booked the two rooms through Expedia. The clerk at the desk was rude, and unfriendly. The check in took 45 minutes with no one in front of me, she only spoke to me to demand my Passport and my Credit Card.

When we got to our assigned rooms they were both already occupied. This took another 20 minutes to correct and only with the help of the Bell Boy. Who was the only positive in this experience.

After getting two more rooms our key cards didn't work, another trip to the desk clerk by this time it was obvious she doesn't like tourists. When we finally got into our rooms there was no bedding on the beds. The poor Bell Boy was extremely embarrassed and called for maid service for us.

We arrived at the Hotel at approximately 7:30 and we were finally able to get into our rooms at 9:35.

Never again.

Room Tip: Ensure the rooms are not occupied.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I stayed at the hotel with a friend for two nights. As a native from Panama, I chose the hotel because of its great location, it is surrounded by several restaurants, stores and close enough the tourists areas. The hotel itself is beautiful and clean. The casino is comfortable and a nice experience.
The downside was customer service. Luckily, I know Spanish fluently so I was able to communicate easily with the staff, excluding the bell men, but most of the staff didn't speak English. I had a female cousin visit me at the hotel and she was told that "it wasn't visiting hours." That really made me upset because I know they only told her that because they were discriminating against her. Another thing I didn't like is that it took an hour to bring towels to the room and they only gave us facial towels when we asked for them.
The magnetic keys didn't work one night and it was annoying. It was also really cold at night and the thin bed sheets didn't help.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends