“Loved this place!”

Ranked #27 of 117 Hotels in Panama City
Blenheim, New Zealand
“Loved this place!”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed here a couple of nights and really enjoyed it. The place is about 40 years old but recently got a face lift (no idea what it looked like before). It is funky/modern/aesthetically pleasing. I really have no complaints about the hotel at all. No place will be perfect and there could be some minor improvements made, but none were deal breakers.

I am happy to report that the transportation of theirs was really at the airport and waiting for me (and a couple) as soon as I walked out the door. Granted, I had to notice his shirt's small emblem as there was no sign he was holding with my name on it. Regardless, he was there. I do think the management should know that he drove like a maniac though. It was Friday afternoon and some traffic on the highway. But it was like he was driving to a fire or something. Not sure why the rush. He also drove like that taking me and someone else back to the airport. I was a little scared honestly. I don't know if the speed limit was indeed 100 km/h but he topped out at 145-150 (90 mph). I'm glad there was hardly any traffic, but again...why? This was dangerous and he really should be told to do the speed limit. It makes the hotel look bad, IMHO.

Anyway, the room was awesome, clean and comfortable. Wi-fi worked great. Only annoyance being you had to sign in again to it if your computer went to sleep or was turned off. And I had to launch IE to do that...it didn't work using chrome, but I just went to chrome after that.

The staff was very nice and some did speak English which was good considering my Spanish is not up to par for long conversations or describing problems in detail. My hair drier did not work (they had a UK style adapter on it) but once mentioned, it was changed out within a couple of hours. I did have to ask for my free welcome drink ticket upon arrival which was good for a rum and coke or punch. The bar was nice. I didn't eat at Solo, as the prices were a bit high for what it was. You can also order at the bar. Another couple told me the burger on the menu which was described as having peppers or something like that on it did not come with those, just lettuce and tomato so they felt sort of short changed on that. Granted, menu descriptions should match what you get. They didn't say anything about it.

The shopping district around the corner was outstanding! I spent a couple hundred in the first few hours...but prices were good. Albrook mall had good prices as well but it was so huge it was overwhelming.

They provided me with a guide to take me to Miraflores Locks at the canal and to the mall for $40. It cost $8 to get into the locks. I was told a taxi should cost $5 from the mall back to the hotel. The driver I waved down tried for $10 and I got him down to 7 (with a dollar tip).

The hotel at night is neat looking, with blue lights and don't fail to chill on the 'rooftop'. That being only the 2nd or 3rd floor, not actually ON the roof. You get to it by going up steps from the pool. There is a hot tub there which was new although I didn't feel it had been disinfected very well or cleaned all that recently. It still worked fine and was good to soothe my muscles in. They could really do a lot up there, as there's a bar and a lot of seating. No view really and no lighting (except some tiki torches which did nothing for the lighting) but it was ok. Nobody was really there so it was fine.

They do have a security guard and always seemed to have a few people out front so I did feel safe. I didn't venture out at night though. Not because of the safety issue, I just didn't want to. The grocery store across the street ROCKED. I live in Costa Rica and they had stuff there I can't buy in CR. Prices were great too. I actually bought my dinner there (shrimp, wine, bread, cheese, grapes) and stocked up on other things to bring back home with me. Mall prices were at or cheaper than the U.S. You can bring US dollars no problem...it's 1:1 there.

The breakfast buffet (buy it with your room) was totally worth the $4 or whatever it was extra. It was good...make your own waffles and they had fruit, cereal, breads, meats, cheeses, juices. It was different the next day so it wasn't like going to a chain hotel where it's always the same.

The pool was nice but it was strange in that there was no circulation vents in it...just a concrete pool with no little doors for catching what floats on top. Didn't smell of chlorine at all so again, I didn't feel that it was very well disinfected. The sun hit it from about 9am til 3pm. The bathrooms for the pool were amazing! Really beautiful and modern inside. The spa was locked so I don't know what was in there. The business center had Mac's and large screens, an ATM machine and you can send your print job to the front desk. They say they charge $.50 but I wasn't charged for one page. Speaking of that, to make the @ sign on that keyboard, they have a little note on the keyboard itself which I didn't see at first as to how to do it. Oh, and their reputation in my head got even better when I heard Zero 7 in their house mix while at the pool. Love it!!!

There was some confusion upon checkout with the ride back to the airport and due to my lack of knowing spanish, they had to get an employee to explain it to me in addition to how the billing worked...but all was well.

One night there was a bit of noise made my guests coming in late at night 2:30 and 3:30 am but it was mostly rudeness on their part. Shouting to each other and slamming doors. Really, people? Be kind to other guests who are sleeping...c'mon...it's common sense.

I would absolutely go again. The room with tax came to about $93 (single/King/Breakfast) and you can't beat the location. I can't believe the low rating on here (63% at this writing). Don't let it turn you off. GO!!!

Room Tip: I was facing the opposite side of the pool, meaning all I could see were buildings, not the pool. I...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
RiandeHoteles, Guest Relations Manager at Riande Granada Urban Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear Hotrodgurl,

On behalf of the entire staff at the Riande Granada Urban Hotel, I would like to thank you again for choosing us as your home when visiting Panama and for your detailed comment with many helpful tips for travelers.

We are pleased to know that our brand new facilities were to your liking and that you enjoyed the unique style of our hotel. We celebrated the launch of our new image in April 2013 and are proud to offer our guests with a modern and stylish hotel.

I’m happy to hear you were able to take advantage of all the facilities we have to offer, that you enjoyed our swimming pool, Jacuzzi, outdoor terrace, business centre and central location. Our spa will open its doors to public promptly. Please know that hygiene is of prime importance for us: we keep our swimming pool and Jacuzzi spotless, they are cleaned entirely minimum once a week with machines and disinfectant, twice a week when occupation is high. Same goes for the Jacuzzi so no there is no need to worry about cleanliness of the water.

Your positive comments about service has been communicated to our staff members and your impressions on our driver’s driving habits as well.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and sharing tips about Panama with other travelers. I hope to welcome you back at Riande Granada Urban Hotel very soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel in July for almost a month and didn’t want to leave… The hotel is in El Cangrejo; you can walk because things are close and if you don’t want to, taxis drive in front of the hotel all day.

I think they recently renovated the hotel because everything looks new. The furniture is original, the design is chic. The rooms and lobby were spotless and I even saw someone put the lift out of order to clean it.

GREAT service! Everyone at the Riande is friendly. The staff smiles and is helpful to give recommendations about the city. Service usually isn’t great in Panama City so I was really impressed with the staff here.

Food: the breakfast is nice, with eggs, toasts, fresh fruits, waffles and cheese. It’s a shame they don’t have brunch on Sunday because it would be popular... The food at the Solo restaurant in the evening is amazing, one of the nicest meals I had in Panama. As nice as a gastro restaurant in Europe!

I enjoyed my stay very much and can only recommend this place. I would definitely go back.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
RiandeHoteles, Guest Relations Manager at Riande Granada Urban Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Dear Bannenb1502,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on TripAdvisor, we value your opinion very much.

You were under the impression everything looked new and you were right, it is! We inaugurated our brand new facilites in April 2013. The Riande Granada has existed for more than 40 years but we are now proud to say that we offer a modern, fresh hotel product to better satisfy our guests.

Please know that we have communicated your compliments to our staff members and they are all very proud to have exceeded your expectations. Our chef David Quesada is glad you enjoyed his signature cooking. Your comment about brunch has also been taken into account and we are thinking of offering this service in the future.

Bannenb1502, once again, thank you for your positive review. Know that we will be more than happy to welcome you back at the Riande Granada Urban Hotel next time you visit our beautiful country.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

The design of this hotel is really modern. It's really well located in the center of panama. The pool is really big and nice. The staff is very nice and the food is amazing! We were really glad to stay there during our trip.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hanzade1
RiandeHoteles, Guest Relations Manager at Riande Granada Urban Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear Hanzade,

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at our fully renovated hotel and that the pool was to your liking. The Solo Restaurant is home to Spanish chef David Quesada and is ranked as one of the nicest restaurants in the city by locals (see degustapanama.com for more information) so I am glad you enjoyed the food. Most of all we are delighted to hear that you found our staff very nice, because providing great service is our first goal.

Hanzade, thank you again for taking the time to give us your opinion. We hope to welcome your other half and yourself very soon.

Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I usually don’t comment on my stays; however, I had to make an exception with this hotel. I ended up at Granada Urban Hotel because a friend who stayed there earlier this year highly recommended it. The Hotel is newly renovated; the lobby is very spacious and has a nice lounge bar at the entrance. The rooms are very comfortable and the decoration delightful. But the best memory I take with myself is without a doubt Solo Restaurant. Not only was the service superb, but the food was delicious…from the bread they serve you at the beginning which is addictive, to the appetizers, main dishes and desserts. I will definitively miss eating here. I cannot end my review without commenting on the hotel’s service; everyone was always helpful and cordial.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
RiandeHoteles, Guest Relations Manager at Riande Granada Urban Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear Maria,

On behalf of the entire staff at the Riande Granada Urban Hotel, I would like to thank you again for choosing us as your home when visiting Panama. And thank you to your friend who recommended us!

We are pleased to know that our renovated facilities where to your liking and that you enjoyed the unique style of the Riande Granada. Your positive comment about the Solo Restaurant has been communicated to our restaurant staff and they are proud to have exceeded your expectations.

Most of all we are delighted to hear that you found our staff helpful and cordial, as this is an area we are constantly trying to improve.

Maria, we hope to welcome you very soon at the Riande Granada Urban Hotel.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 1 July 2013

The Panama City traffic is almost as bad as Sao Paulo. That means you must choose a hotel near where you want to be in the morning. If you're flying out of the domestic terminal (Air Panama, etc) stay at this hotel. It's about 10 minutes from the terminal -in traffic. Stay at the Riande Airport Hotel, not this one.

Lovely place with awesome rooms for an affordable price. The desk crew were slow and seemed confused, but the welcoming porters were quick and kind.

The Riande is a good clean and safe value in Panama City.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

It is true that traffic in Panama is often congested; fortunately we are located at walking distance from the financial, banking and shopping areas. As you also mentioned, we are close to the Albrook Marcos A. Gelabert International Airport (PAC) for flights with Air Panama. For travelers flying from Panama Tucuman International Airport (PTY) we would recommend the same as you: staying at the Riande Aeropuerto Hotel, Casino & Resort. So thank you for your helpful recommendations to other travelers.

We are happy to know you enjoyed your room and found our porters welcoming, quick and kind. Your comment about our front desk staff has been communicated to them and we will do our best to improve efficiency.

Once again, thank you for your positive comment and we look forward to welcoming you again at one of our two properties.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 8 June 2013

i can honesty say that this Hotel is alla bout customer service.
Everyone that i encountered was super friendly and helful from the front desk to the excellent restaurant SOLO,very good food!.
My room was beautiful and was an bigger suprise was how confortable the bed was!
I can tell you i looked at Many venues in the Panama area and this was by far the best!

Room Tip: superior rooms, executive rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Robert,

We are very happy to hear that the service we provided exceeded your expectations, as this is an area we truly focus on. Your positive comments about our front desk and restaurant staff has been communicated to them and they are glad to have satisfied you.

We also take pride in offering high quality linen in all room types and are delighted to hear you slept well in our comfortable beds.

Robert, once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Guests Relations Manager
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I have stayed at several Panama hotels over the last five tears as I travel there for business. The Bristol Hotel was full and I opted for the Riande Urban (over the Marriott which was more expensive.) It is in banking/business section of town close to banks, shopping and restaurants which was good for my business trip. The rooms go from small to large depending on which one you chose; but all are decorated nicely and have cable TV. I had a large corner room. The breakfast in the morning is adequate for Panama, but I found the Bristol breakfast better. I had a very nice dinner of Cornivna (fish similar to grouper) at the hotel restaurant. Telephone service is not great as you have to call the hotel operator for each call which was an inconvenience for business calls. The room was comfortable as well as the bed. The downstairs lobby is very nicely done. The pool was clean and inviting but a little small. Overall, a nice city hotel.
Taxis are pretty inexpensive and available most of the time outside the hotel. You can actually have a less expensive taxi by walking across the street in the small shopping center and just hailing one. The international airport is a 20-30 minute ($25-$30.00) taxi ride from the hotel.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear James,

We are, as you mentioned, ideally located for business travelers because of our proximity to the banking, financial and shopping areas, so thank you for mentioning this as well as giving valuable recommendations concerning taxis in Panama City.

The property has been entirely renovated this year and we are glad you enjoyed our brand new rooms, lobby and signature restaurant.

Our buffet breakfast offers a selection of fresh local fruit, two warm dishes such as eggs or sausage, a waffle maker as well as standard continental breakfast options (toast, cereal, cheese, meat cuts, yogurts and juice). We also feature a reasonably priced à la carte “American Breakfast” menu, if you feel like indulging in something more filling. Please develop on how we could improve our breakfast, so we can better satisfy your needs.

Concerning phone service, I will give you a tip: you can actually phone directly from your room for national calls, by dialing “9” and the phone number. International phone calls have to be processed by our operator simply because some guests do not know the national or area codes of the countries they are phoning. It is meant to make your life easier so we are sorry to hear it didn’t.

James, once again, thank you for your positive review. We hope to welcome you here at the Riande Granada Urban Hotel very soon.

Guests Relations Manager