“Overrated?...Perhaps. Overpriced?...Definitely.”
Review of Hotel DeVille

Hotel DeVille
Ranked #68 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 15 January 2012

First, the positives: Fantastic location on the edge of el Cangrejo, near everything but quiet and safe.

Pleasant, mostly accomodating multi-lingual staff.

Large, clean, quiet rooms.

Huge bathroom with good amenities, robes, slippers, lots of towels, etc.

Decent, filling breakfast included (fair, not gourmet).

However, this is not a 5-star hotel. No matter what rate you pay, don't expect 5-star quality or service (and I pity anyone who pays the hotel's listed rack rate). I found a "Stay two nights, get the third night free" deal on Orbitz, which made the price more reasonable in my case. Perhaps because I had this discount they put me in an older room (the hotel didn't seem too crowded). Arriving late at night, I didn't bother asking to see other rooms, and anyway the deficiencies were not immediately evident.

First of all, when I arrived there was no one to help with the bags out front at the taxi stand, and I was left to lug my stuff up the stairs and navigate the front door alone. Only after I was inside the lobby with my luggage on a cart did a bellhop finally appear.

At check-in there was no orientation about the hotel or area, and no maps or information were offered. I had to ask about where breakfast would be served and at what time.

The room was large and clean, but there was no view or natural light and the setup was strange. For example, the TV was not visible from the couch, only from one of the two beds. It was a tiny, old non-HD television anyway so watching it was nothing special.

The bed was comfortable, but the headboard was noisy and banged into the wall if you moved.

There were several cracks in the paint on the ceiling and walls.

There were some mildew stains in the shower.

To summarize, the DeVille Hotel is a clean, quiet, safe option in a very convenient location, but it's overpriced and nothing special, really.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank NYCTraveler1967
Alex D, General Manager at Hotel DeVille, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2012

First, thank you for the feedback, this helps us to concentrate on improving our service whenever a deficiency is pointed out to us.
We apologise for the shortcomings in baggage attention and initial orientation, the staff in those departments are now fully trained.
We are in the process of replacing our old TV sets for modern and larger flatscreen ones and expecto to finish replacing all by end January, with almost all rooms have been replaced already.

Reviewed 11 January 2012

We stayed here on either end of our Panama adventure. Most of the staff were very helpful, accommodating our needs with warmth and efficiency. Rooms are large and comfortable with AC. No view from the rooms but we weren't in them long enough to coplain. The suites are interesting - very high ceilings in the living area making for a climb up the lovely banistered stairs to the upper bedroom. A nice assortment is served for breakfast in a lovely if out of way room on the lobby level.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I stayed a few days on a bussines trip last August at the Hotel and I was greeted at the reception by Miss Candy with a lovely smile and friendly attitude. Her and Jose made sure my stay was as pleasent as the comodity of my own home. I travel often to Panama City and I always stay at the Hotel Deville for its great service and welcoming environment. It also has a great location. I strongly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Hotel is very well located just short distance from c Uruguay and c España
Very clean very nice rooms and spacious. Staff is excellent .Very friendly and helpful.Anything we asked they were ready to offer it.This hotel is for sure an oasis at Panama crowded city.
Thank you very much for everything we will definitely recommend you!
Angela

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We spent four nights in Panama City prior to our cruise on the Star Flyer.

We were orginally booked into the Holiday Inn, however this was to far away from the Panama City and didn't have great reviews, we were recommended the Hotel DeVille and what a great little hotel.

The staff were really freindly and helpful, the rooms were big and stylish, the only criticism was they are very dark,this isn't a problem as you only sleep in them, apart from when it pours down in the city !!

The bed has to be the most comfortable we've ever slept in, in a hotel, in fact even better than our bed at home.

Great central location, ideal for restuarants and seeing the banking area and walking to Avenida Balboa, taxi rides aren't cheap but hire one for the day to get to all the citys attractions.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Graham H
Reviewed 26 November 2011

never had such a friendly and personalized service before. It is in a safe central area of the city close to everything. Value was excellent, found a great deal online. Only issue was, there was no view thru the window or natural light.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 November 2011

My husband and I spent 3 nights in Panama City to celebrate our birthday. The hotel was recommended and booked by Ancon Expeditions (The Best Tour operator in Panama) and it was a great choice.
The location is really good, you can walk around to explore the city, there are very good restaurants nearby.
The staff was friendly and attentive. The restaurant was good and they delivered room service promptly! The hotel even delivered a surprised Birthday cake for my husband!
They were happy to accommodate a late check out for us. It is a great value for your money!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple