First, the positives: Fantastic location on the edge of el Cangrejo, near everything but quiet and safe.
Pleasant, mostly accomodating multi-lingual staff.
Large, clean, quiet rooms.
Huge bathroom with good amenities, robes, slippers, lots of towels, etc.
Decent, filling breakfast included (fair, not gourmet).
However, this is not a 5-star hotel. No matter what rate you pay, don't expect 5-star quality or service (and I pity anyone who pays the hotel's listed rack rate). I found a "Stay two nights, get the third night free" deal on Orbitz, which made the price more reasonable in my case. Perhaps because I had this discount they put me in an older room (the hotel didn't seem too crowded). Arriving late at night, I didn't bother asking to see other rooms, and anyway the deficiencies were not immediately evident.
First of all, when I arrived there was no one to help with the bags out front at the taxi stand, and I was left to lug my stuff up the stairs and navigate the front door alone. Only after I was inside the lobby with my luggage on a cart did a bellhop finally appear.
At check-in there was no orientation about the hotel or area, and no maps or information were offered. I had to ask about where breakfast would be served and at what time.
The room was large and clean, but there was no view or natural light and the setup was strange. For example, the TV was not visible from the couch, only from one of the two beds. It was a tiny, old non-HD television anyway so watching it was nothing special.
The bed was comfortable, but the headboard was noisy and banged into the wall if you moved.
There were several cracks in the paint on the ceiling and walls.
There were some mildew stains in the shower.
To summarize, the DeVille Hotel is a clean, quiet, safe option in a very convenient location, but it's overpriced and nothing special, really.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- DeVille Hotel was conceived as a Beautiful Boutique Hotel, taking you back in time, all the way to the romantic era when Ferdinand de Lesseps was making the first intent in digging the Panama Canal; hence its French name, its comfortable furniture imported from former French colonies, its cozy, quiet oversized rooms, reminding you of other epochs; but also with all modern amenities and services, like Cable TV, minibars, WiFi Internet Access, coffee makers, hairdryers, safety deposit boxes and all other amenities you have come to expect in the best hotels. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel DeVille reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Deville Hotel Panama City
- Hotel DeVille Panama/Panama City