Hotel de Ville is a boutique hotel in the banking area of Panama City. By boutique, I mean not 'big box' like a Marriott where every little service has a cost. Staff at HDV are very pleasant and recognize you when you return from your busy day. We took the hotel shuttle from the airport for $30 for two. Driver was very friendly and helpful and we saw him daily working as conciege. We arrived at 9 pm and were given 2 free welcome drinks at the hotels's bar/restaurant (alkimia). The sangria is fabulous and the wine was decent. We had to have more of course, extra drinks range from $3 beer, $4 wine, $5 for sangria. We also enjoyed very good meal in the restaurant (pesto pasta and 4 cheese pizza).
The rooms were very large with nice furnishings, safe, large showers, and double sinks. Ice is provided each day and there is a mini-fridge supplied with goodies (we could not find a price list nor did we purchase anything other than a small bottled water which we discovered at check-out was overpriced at $2.50). Over-priced mini bars are one of my pet peeves. Water from the tap is actually drinkable in Panama which makes travelling much easier. The hotel is small in comparison to the buildings around it, meaning that the rooms other than at the front face buildings or a parking garage. There is not much light and no ability to look out onto the streets. At first we were disappointed that there was no sunlight but them we realized this was somewhat fortunate because the rooms were protected from the noise of the streets. During the work week, Panama City is grid locked and very noisy (lots of activities and honking). If you need to give dircctions to get back to your hotel just tell the drivers you are near the Marriott or Royal Casino (a 4 minute walk away). Taxis to most places in town (not the airports or canal) are $5 each way but remember to negotiate prior to getting in the cab. The hotel also provides free wi-fi and a business centre with 2 computers and a printer.
Included in the price of the room is a breakfast (a step up from continental) with eggs, pancakes, bacon on request and lots of fresh fruit, meats &cheeses, cereal, and delicious breads available from 7am to 10am. Remember to leave the breakfast host with a small tip as she works very hard to keep the room presentable and supplied for the next customers. The minimum wage in Panama is $1.50 an hour.
Next to the HDV is a luncheon restaurant called Alexi's. They serve authentic panamanaian food for about $3 or $4. Most panamanaians' ordered soup and a side of white rice, then added the 2 items together. We ordered chicken, rice, salad, beans (for over the rice) and 2 soda drinks. Total was $10. We arrived 11:55 with 2 other people and by 12:05 the place was packed (outside eating filled) and non- stop local workers coming and going who were ordering take- out. They are only open for lunch.
Around the block from the HDV is a great little safe community with lots of restaurant choices. One street down is the Royal Casino, Beirut restaurant (amazing Lebanese food- try the Taboulleh), Costa Azul (also authentic country fare) and Sushi.
I would definitely recommend the HDV. Book early and the room prices will be lower - dont pay rack prices as the rooms are not worth it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- DeVille Hotel was conceived as a Beautiful Boutique Hotel, taking you back in time, all the way to the romantic era when Ferdinand de Lesseps was making the first intent in digging the Panama Canal; hence its French name, its comfortable furniture imported from former French colonies, its cozy, quiet oversized rooms, reminding you of other epochs; but also with all modern amenities and services, like Cable TV, minibars, WiFi Internet Access, coffee makers, hairdryers, safety deposit boxes and all other amenities you have come to expect in the best hotels. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelsClick and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel DeVille reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Deville Hotel Panama City
- Hotel DeVille Panama/Panama City