“Beautiful hotel in Panama City”
Review of Hotel DeVille

Hotel DeVille
Ranked #65 of 117 Hotels in Panama City
Potrero, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
“Beautiful hotel in Panama City”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My family spent Easter weekend at Hotel Deville. We shared a 2 story, 2 bedroom suite with a shared common area. It was the perfect place to rest and recharge after a day of sightseeing. The rooms were pretty and very comfortable. The buffet breakfast was good with lots of options. We ended up eating at the hotel restaurant Alkimia several times since many other locations were closed due to the holiday. The food and service were excellent every time. The hotel staff was very helpful and attentive. The location was central to all the major sights and in a safe, quiet part of town. Overall, great stay.

Room Tip: A suite is a great value if you are traveling with multiple people, especially if you book in advanc...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank potreroCR2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Whittier, CA
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Very efficient check process, however a smile from the staff would not hurt after a long day of travel. All business to the point of seeming unfriendly (the friendliest staff members were the housekeepers). I in turn returned the same attitude as I felt foolish smiling like a soft headed American. Not my way of interacting with people. I try to treat everyone in a kind and friendly manner. I will most likely not return to this establishment.

The room was comfortable and very large, as was the bathroom. Complimentary breakfast was good, in fact better than most hotel complimentary offerings. On site restaurant (Alkimia) was very good. I found it odd that it was mostly empty when I dined there. I liked it so much that in fact I returned to dine there a week later while lodging at a different hotel.

The location takes a little getting used to. It seems chaotic and bad but I did not have any problems once I got my bearings. The Casco Viejo is only a $2.00 cab ride away. The is a casino just down the street as well as other restaurants and lounges.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jsandoval562
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Hotel DeVille is located in the new part of Panama City.
It was a surprise to find a small nice building in between the high-rise buildings with offices and banks.
The hotel hasn't many rooms so the welcome was friendly and personal.
I had a very big room with 2 twin bets, a sitting corner and a desk.
The bathroom was nice and well furnished.
Despite the busy roads and traffic nearby, the room was surprisingly quiet.
My room was located on the side, so I had 2 windows, but no view. (Looking at the wall of the next building at a few centimeters).
To visit the old part of Panama City it is easy to catch a taxi. Ask for the price first. (E.g. the first taxi asked 12 USD but changed it immediately to 6 USD).
We stayed here 4 nights and visited the old city, the Embera Indians, Portobelo and of cours The Canal.
Because this is a small hotel, there is no swimming pool.

Room Tip: If you like a room with a view, ask for it.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I spent 3 nights in this wonderful boutique hotel recently and would book there again without hesitation. On arrival, I too was greeted with fresh juice while I waited to check in...despite being several hours early, they immediately gave me a great room on the third floor...a large very clean room with separate seating area, high ceilings, two windows, modern attractive bath, comfortable bed. No issues with A/C or plumbing systems.

The staff generally spoke only Spanish of which I know little. Despite this potential difficulty, we communicated well. The concierge even walked me to a nearby restaurant to find lunch..."Lenis" (I think her name is) on the front desk much of my stay was fluent in English and helped me find whatever I needed...including a fine jewelry store open in the Old City on a Sunday for gifts for folks at home.

The location is NOT great. There are a number of other hotels (large named and small) nearby...it is a downtown neighborhood and, while I did not feel unsafe walking around alone at night, I would not recommend that for a woman alone. Escorted yes, alone no.

Restaurant options were limited, but available to be found. La Posta (Tripadvisor rating 12/447) was a 5-8 minute walk and provided a great dinner. I thought the breakfast buffet at the hotel was fine...perhaps standard fare and choices, but, after all, it was breakfast and it was very good!

Overall, I was very happy with my stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for 33...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The description a boutique hotel is correct, but what is not said that it is in an area where there are several American fast food places but no high quality sit down restaurants, at least not what we could find or that anyone could tell us about. They tried to push their "upscale" dining room which we tried and was equal to US diner food, which is fine if that is what you after. We were after local food which would consist of local seafood, Panamanian dishes.The rooms were OK, the hotel is just a few years old but you can tell is beginning its downward trend due to lack of maintenance. The air conditioning struggled to keep up with the average temperatures, the faucet strainers were so plugged that water barely came out and the pressure pumps were incorrectly adjusted as you either had 10 pounds of pressure or a stinging, knock you back against the wall 80! I am giving the hotel a "2" but the staff a "4", they were always friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: No Pool Breakfast buffet is typical Continental style
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark G
lawrence, ks
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We arrived late (9pm) & the greeting was great. We were given a glass of good tasting juice which was appreciated after a long day. Got to the room to find ice in the bucket! There were glasses for any type of drink! The room was very nice & so clean. No matter what we asked for they did their best to accommodate us. The bed was comfortable. They even provided breakfast bags for when we took the canal cruise which they arranged for us & even fixed us up with another couple to share the cab ride. The cab was even waiting for us when we returned. They even provided a breakfast bag the morning we flew out. The furnishings were extraordinary. .Beautiful. The breakfast was bountiful. The casino was only about a block away & we enjoyed that several times. The restaurant attached we would not recommend. The bartenders were great but it was expensive & except for the great bread sticks the food was not exciting for the price. All in all this is a great place to stay if you don't want a pool. We thoroughly enjoyed the stay. P.s. there are no Kleenex or wash clothes in the room. :-) again it's worth the experience!

• Stayed March 2014
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the DeVille for two nights. The hotel is very nice. Our room was quite large and comfortable and very clean. The only negative regarding the quality of the room was the nonexistent water pressure in the sink and shower. This can be an issue if you have hair longer than the average man. It takes forever to shampoo and condition long hair and I would imagine 10 people spitting on your head would be faster than the pitiful stream that comes out of the shower head. But, I can overlook things like that if the "experience" of being at a hotel is wonderful. Other reviewers have described the staff as being 'very professional" and "stiff." My description is that they are unfriendly and do nothing to hide their disdain for North Americans. The two women who acted as the check-in people were especially unfriendly - not one welcoming smile. If one of them was at the desk when we returned from an excursion it caused me a certain amount of anxiety. My nature is to smile and greet the staff of the hotel and hopefully receive the same in return. Not at this place. I would say that if that isn't important to you, then the hotel is fine to stay in. I will spend my money elsewhere.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends