“Better than expected, pretty nice place.”

Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro
Ranked #19 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I chose this hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews and it's location. It is withing walking distance of some nice restaurants and it feels like a safe neighborhod. I also liked that the hotel looked nice and modern from the pictures but we all know how pictures can be deceiving. In this case, the hotel was actually nicer than the pictures.

Check in was good. We had someone that spoke very good English so that helped since we know very little Spanish, something we intend to rectify soon. When we got to our room, we figured we must have been upgraded as it was a very nice corner room with views and a comfortable sitting area with a couch. Pleasant surprise there! The room was spacious as was the bathroom. No complaints with the room at all. The bed was comfortable with nice linens.

We spent some time in the bar area which doubles as the breakfast area in the morning. It is a pleasant space and we got good service from our bartenders. We also went to the roof and checked out the swim area. Small pool but very well done and gets the job done. I also liked that it had a bar near the pool. We will take advantage of this on our next trip.

Breakfast was adequate although one minor complaint. If you are going to serve french toast, please have either maple syrup or honey or something to go with it. When I asked the staff about it, we had a translation issue so never did get anything. Another reason to learn Spanish, not knowing Spanish meant no syrup for us.

Had a minor issue at check-out. At first we thought they were telling us we had to pay for breakfast which we thought was free but in fact they were asking us how we wanted to pay our bill. This is probably my fault as I'm so used to just walking out knowing that the hotel has our credit card and will charge it. I forgot that they don't do things that way in Panama. Once this was settled, I noticed that the bill was higher than what i thought it should be. When I returned to have them look at it, she said "oh yes, that is not right". Not exactly sure what happened but that kind of stuff makes me wonder. The good news is that they immediately corrected the charges.

In the end, we are planning on staying here again in July so obviously we thought it was a good stay. Can't beat the price for the location and accommodations that you receive.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Jose C, Director General at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Dear trmwilliams,

Thank you very much for your review and for have spent the time to write us on Internet. We are glad to know that we look even better than the picture you saw on internet so it makes us feel that we are giving a higher impression when the guests show up. It truly seems that we exceeded your expectations and nothing could make us happier about it. Thank you for your sweet words about the room and the roof, specially because both private and common areas have to be perfect to our customers.

We are sorry about the non communication between you and our staff in the breakfast. We do have syrup available in the restaurant so we will investigate what happen and why you did not receive it. Please accept our apologize for the extra charge of the Check Out. We could solve it at time, though.

It would be a pleasure see you again in July. We look forward to seeing you!

Until then all the best,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,204)

Reviewed 18 March 2014

We got a great deal on this hotel through Cheaptickets. We did not know what to expect. After reading many of the reviews we decided to give it a shot. My cousin and I joined our husbands at Tryp Panama Centro a week later, as they concluded their annual golf tournament. The hotel is a nice hotel-- modern and attractive. Smaller than I am used to, but nicer than I expected. The location is perfect. This is not to say it was a perfect stay. There were a few hiccups, however, I believe the Manager Jose, did his best to remedy our concerns. Our trip was divided into 5 nights at the Tryp, 2 nights at the J. W. Marriott in Playa Blanca (review on TA to follow soon) and 3 nights back at the Tryp. We stayed in Room 701 for the first part of our stay. This room was spacious and comfortable with a larger than expected bathroom and a small sofa, king bed and generous toiletries (toothbrush, combs, etc.). If you forgot anything, it was provided. I liked the size and layout of this room best. The second room we stayed in 1004 had a beautiful view, but was on the small side. The bathroom was large enough, but the room itself was too small. I was the one to request this room, based on another review in TA. However, personally, I preferred the other room type. I felt cramped with luggages and closet space. However, my husband truly enjoyed the view. So clearly it is a matter of preference. My cousin was upgraded to a suite on the last leg of the trip. The suite is definitely the way to go if you want a lot of space. All of the rooms were spotless. No complaints in that area. The beds are very comfortable and A/C, water pressure in room --all worked fine. Housekeeping did an excellent job. Internet is free and worked fine. No nickel and dime. Free wireless internet in room, free breakfast, free luggage storage. No problem leaving our luggage when we left for the beach resort, it was locked away and held for our return. Overall, we found the majority of the staff to be friendly, pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was adequate. The gym is small with a great view. We did not use the pool, but we did have a birthday gathering right off the pool and the service there was excellent, the food was average. Conclusion: based on price, location and service, you can't go wrong. We enjoyed our stay and would definitely consider staying here again. If you are on the fence--go for it. This place is really a good place to stay, and with time, and someone like Jose Managing the place, it will only get better.

Room Tip: Room 701 or 501. Corner windows, sofa, ample space.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Jose C, Director General at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Sergnes,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us. We are happy to know that you found our property a good value and your stay at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro could exceed your high expectations. It was a pleasure have the chance to serve you in both occasions. We are delighted to know that you and your family found our property ideal for its convenient location, great service and comfortable and clean rooms.
Thank you again for have chosen Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro for your trip to Panama. We do hope to see all of you again in the future. You are more than welcome!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Stayed for two nights as a stopover with my daughter prior to other Panama adventure travel. The TRYP is great value. The location is central with many restaurants and shops within walking distance. Staff were very friendly and helpful, the top floor pool a nice treat. Got in late the first night and decided to eat at the lobby bar/tapas bar - the food was quite good and the room well appointed. With breakfast included, prices are reasonable. Would definitely recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Jose C, Director General at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Noodlesromanoff,

Thank you for your kind review! We are more than happy to know that we lived up your expectations and you found our property Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro as a great value.
We are delighted to know that both you and your daughter liked our facilities and convenient location. Thank you again for your sweet words and for recommend Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro to your friends. We would love to have them as a guest!

We hope everything was great on your way back home in Canada. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I think they should train their front staff to smile and not frown while checking in a guest. My check-in experience alone will make me not stay here again. Nice rooftop with a small pool/jacuzzi. Nice gym area, but they should fix the elliptical machine and the spin bike. Some people do workout on vacation and pick a hotel with a gym. It is nice when the equipment works. They have a great sauna and steam room area that is private and clean. I really liked that. The breakfast staff was lovely and sweet. I just wished they shopped throwing away the utensils every time you get up to get more coffee. It's really a waste and they disposed of one of our room keys in the process. Great location, very close to shopping and restaurants. The roof top view is wonderful and very cool for lounging. The room was quiet, and we were able to get great sleep. I liked the hotel, did not love it.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor to get a nice view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Jose C, Director General at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear Sparkle714,

Thank you for your comment and for have chosen Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro for your trip to our warm and little country, We would like to apologize if the Front Desk staff did not smile you during the check in time. We do have some brand policies and we train our staff properly in order to bring a helpful and polite service to our customers. We will definitely investigate what happen with our Front Desk Manager.
We will also take into account the issue stated about the breakfast. We will analyze it in order to improve our quality service following the instructions designated in our corporate standards. Regarding the problem with the elliptical machine and the spin bike, please note that they actually work. However, some nights we turn them off to save electricity but we switch them on immediately as soon as the guest let us know. We are sorry if some days you could not use both machines.

Despite those incidents, it truly seemed that you were enjoying your stay at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro. We would love to see you again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Unable to book reservation online because the site did not function correctly, so I called. Supposed to receive confirmation by email, but did not, which meant I had to call the hotel directly to change arrival date because they could not find my reservation without their confirmation number!? Changed the date and thought it taken care of until arrival where they did not have my reservation but would put my in a room for $30 more with a treadmill that I have no use for. I asked them to honor the rate for which I had already paid for, but they refused. To be fair, the room was nice and the breakfast the next day was good also. However, when I returned home, I have discovered I was somehow billed for the reservation they could not find and for the other more expensive room. Now calling internationally to try and resolve. Also found it very slow to check in and inconvenient when the staff insisted I park my car first before giving me the room key. The hotel was very busy and two elevators did not seem to keep up. To top it off, check out took a long time as there was only one person working at that time on a Saturday morning. Wanted to try something new in that area, but ended up making our regular place look better.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Jose C, Director General at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Firefox264,

Thank you for your email above. We apologize for the misunderstanding and all the inconveniences caused during your stay at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro. However, please kindly note that as you could not make the reservation through Internet, we did not have anything in our system at the time you arrive to our property. We wanted to help you out with that but you did not provide us any confirmation number so it was hard to look up a reservation that was never proceeded. As soon as the receptionists realized that the booking was never made, they provided you with our very last room available which was our Premium Fitness Room. Please, keep in mind that we gave you an upgrade for the same price of a regular room. We do apologize if the check in took a little while but as a recall, neither of us had a confirmation number once you got here. Our staff asked you politely to move the car as it was at the entrance of the parking lot just in the middle of the way to get in to the hotel and some guests were trying to park.

We apologize again for the misunderstanding of the reservation. For sure, everything would have gone better if both of us had the confirmation number.

We would like to see you again in the future. We are sure that it would be totally different.

Most Sincerely,

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We used TRYP Panama Centro as home base Feb 2014 leaving our extra bags in storage while we explored other regions in Panama. Returning from Darien my companion "xy" had rash which spread 50%of body in 24 hours. We were returning to TRYP & Bernat Amill Night Manager@Tryp was pivotal in assessing situation, had knowledge base of resources & responded quickly to have taxi take us to Hospital Nacional Calidonia a new modern facility where they guided us thru Panama's Health Plan for Tourist, ER & Derm consult & within 4 hours received treatment to stop the flare up & allowed us to continue our trip. The rash resolved & we found a "wonderful" surprise when we checked in our final night in TRYP Panama Centro. Our total stay of 10 days revealed a caring & competent staff & good coffee & breakfast selection & a great location for a hospital!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Jose C, Director General at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Dear M K,

Please do not thank us for give you assistance for the hospital issue, actually, thank you for have chosen Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro during your trip to Panama. We are more than happy to know that everything went great and your companion felt better so you could even continue your wonderful trip in our warm country.

Many thanks for your sweet words about our staff. I am sure that all of them, including the Night Manager Bernat Amill, will appreciate it and they wish you a happy way back home.

Thanks again! We look forward to seeing you in the future, please do not hesitate to let us know if you think about returning any other time.

All the best,

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed for 3 nights. We requested a room on an upper floor several months prior to our stay and were given a room on the 5th floor, which is actually the 10th floor since lower floors are used for parking. We were told that floors 6 through 11 were already full, which caused some confusion since my Spanish was about as limited as the staff's English. The hotel itself is clean, modern, and attractive. The room, which had a king bed, was sufficiently large and had a roomy bathroom with a large walk-in shower. There could have been better lighting in the bathroom at the sink. The bed was extremely comfortable and the air conditioning worked well. The breakfast area is very pleasant and had fresh pastries and fruit, but the hot items weren't very good or fresh. We were told that breakfast starts at 6:30am, which we were delighted to hear because one morning we needed to head out early for a tour, but when we got to the breakfast area about 6:45 the lights were still out. When the lights were turned on a few minutes later the hot items were placed in warming containers that were not yet turned on and these food items - eggs, meat, oatmeal, were cold (until the containers were turned on). One morning I noticed two juice glasses that were chipped (and potentially could have cut someone's lip). The coffee, however, was very good. There was one small bottle of water in the room upon arrival. When we didn't get another bottle the second day, we were told it might take some time to provide it until more staff arrived, and we never were provided with the water that day so we went down the block in the evening to buy a bottle from the store. Despite the above complaints, I really liked this hotel because it was a very good value, was in a good location with many restaurants nearby, and had a very clean, modern atmosphere. I think this hotel could be even better if there were a little more attention to detail by the staff.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Jose C, Director General at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear MER1,

Thank you for taking the time to write us on Internet. We are glad to know that you found our property Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro a very good value despite the complaints stated. As mentioned, we will definitely make sure that our staff will pay more attention to detail in order to provide a great quality service to all our customers.

For sure we will discuss with our chef about the points stated for breakfast. We have some strict standards that have to be done every morning and it is not proper if we do not accomplish them. In regards to the missing bottle of water, please kindly note that we had a delay with our supplier and we got the product a littler later of the due day. It will not happen again, though.

Thank you again for your review. We would love to have you back here in Panama so please, let us know if you plan to come back at any time. All those incidents will not happen again.