“very cool experience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostal Aleman

Hostal Aleman
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Panama City
Hostal Aleman
Calgary
“very cool experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

Though the hostel itself was comparable to many others, it was clean, comfortable and had a unique vibe, with Patrick doing an amazing job hosting guests. He and his mother Carol were well informed on Panama City and were kind and courteous. Patrick graciously woke up at 5 AM to drive us to the airport. We got there late in the evening and left early in the morning, but as short as our stay was it was quite pleasant.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

This was my first time staying in a hostel and Patrick made me feel very welcome. He was very nice and was willing to share a wealth of information. He speaks three different languages: German, Spanish, and English. If you like, Patrick can even pick you up from the airport for $25.

The hostel was clean and cozy. It can accommodate a maximum of 11 people. There was a kitchen available for use along with a washer and dryer. However, you'll have to pay a few dollars to do laundry. There were two bathrooms and one bathroom had hot water for showers :)

Hostal Aleman is located in a quiet neighborhood close to two supermarkets and fast food (5 minute walk). I walked to the supermarket when it was dark outside but I felt completely safe. A bus stop is also within walking distance, which made getting to Albrook very easy.

I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

German quality in central america!
Highly recommendet!
Patrick and his mother Carol are very friendly, helpful, hospitable. They give us exact information about Panama city.
Our first time in central America.

Mira/Tatana

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

My travel partner and I arrived at the Albrook Terminal and took a cab to the hostel. It was a $20 ride and was a very scenic tour of Panama City. The hostel is located in Panama Viejo, which is the old part. However, this hostel was in a very nice neighborhood, close to the main bus line that takes you anywhere in the city. Patrick was very helpful giving us directions on how to navigate the city, which was extremely easy. Our room was immaculate and the hot shower was a nice touch. The home itself was also very clean and the setup they had was awesome. The kitchen was well stocked with nice dishes. Breakfast was incredible & always ready whenever we were ready to eat (8-10am). I loved that they didn't serve the exact same thing every morning, but switched it up to make our stay even more lovely. It is not the most convenient location, but the bus ride into the city was easy. Even though it rained 3 out of the 5 days we visited, I'd highly suggest staying here at the hostel.Thank you Hostal Aleman!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

Hostal Aleman is perfect for people arriving late into Toucumen Airport (PTY). They do airport transfers, however as we were a group of 4 (+ bags) Patrick advised us to take a taxi as he said his car was not that big. The hostal is in a small residential community outside of Panama city and is the closest hostel to the airport (15 min taxi ride).

Patrick and his mother were lovely and friendly and gave us advice on how to make our way into the city the next morning. Free wifi, computer and good communal space. Breakfast was incredible (eggs, toast, a variety of hams and cheeses, fresh fruit, orange juice, coffee, tea, etc/) and it just keeps coming!

Our room was a 4 person dorm near the breakfast area (clean, quiet and had AC). The layout was different with another door in our room leading to a small two person room. This meant other people accessing our room in the middle of the night to get to theirs. We were only there for one night so it didn't really matter but it is worth noting that they didn't have anywhere to lock away valuables/passports.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kirsten C
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

I needed a place to stay for just one night to catch a connection flight the next day, and a friend I met traveling highly recommended this place. The rooms are basic, but the service of Patrick and his mom Carol (who speak English) are exceptional! Patrick met me outside the house as soon as I arrived to greet me and then showed me around the place and explained everything. The breakfast they served was the best I've had in 2 months of traveling! I got juice, an assortment of sliced meat, delicious cheese, eggs, toast, cream cheese, jelly, fruit, and homemade yogurt. He made sure several times that I was enjoying the food and asked if I needed anything else. After breakfast I went to wash my own dishes and he told me he would take care of it. I stayed in the 4 bunk dorm with air-conditioning and slept like a baby. The room & bathroom were spotless and there was zero noise outside. I highly recommend Hostal Aleman!

Room Tip: The 4 bedroom dorm is in the back of the house away from the street. It is very quiet.