“Good option for a quick stay”
Review of The Saba Hotel

The Saba Hotel
Ranked #57 of 114 Hotels in Panama City
Porto, Portugal
“Good option for a quick stay”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We stayed there for a very good price and its location is also good, in a busy street with bars and restaurants in the nearby. The room and bathroom were big and confortable. The staff is extremely friendly, including Mauricio, the taxi driver that works with the hotel. However, breakfast could be a lot better, considering the lack of options...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Our room was clean, nicely decorated, had effective (and quiet) air conditioning, and a safe that was big enough for laptops. The wifi was fast (forgot to do a speed test, but had no problems streaming video). I felt very well taken care of and safe in this hotel. It's also just about 100 feet from a nice park and there are restaurants all along via Argentina. There is a cafe in the lobby where we had breakfast -- one of the better omelets I have had. I would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back -- just in case the front rooms get a lot of street noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VegetarianViajera
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I booked one night and I had requested hotel transport to pick me up at the airport which was waiting with my name as they said.
About the taxi driver, Mauricio, one of their trusted drivers that always beside the hotel waiting for guests requests, was very polite and friendly. Next day gave me a tour to the Panama Canal and told me all he new about it, was excellent. After that I went for a walk and he picked me up in a different point bringing my bags that I had left in the hotel and went straight to the airport, totally somebody one can trust, perhaps more expensive than a regular taxi but less hassle, as is a bit difficult to stop one. Taxi drivers seems to have their own rules in this town, tourists are welcome with higher prices IF they choose to take you.
About the hotel, the receptionists were polite and helpful, with the best of attitudes. The room was tidy, well decorated, equipped and everything was working. Mini bar ok. Internet connection was good. My concern was the bathroom, the shower was lovely and had everything one needs but the cleanliness I expected was not there. The sink area was not properly cleaned and they haven't completely wipe off the sealing material they use when building it. The worse part was that the dirty toilet seat, it looked like somebody just used it, which was very unpleasant. Beside that the room it self looked spotless. Next morning breakfast was fast and good, it included eggs of your choice, orange juice, coffee or tea and toasts.

I would have added some fruits, cereals and yogurt for breakfast. And they should pay much more attention with the cleaning specially with the bathrooms.

Is not close from the Canal. Maybe walkable (40min) to the Mercado de Mariscos (seafood market) and the Casco Viejo (old quarter). But is in a quite & safe neighborhood.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Montevideo, Uruguay
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We had some finding this place. Google Navigation will leave you in the middle of a busy intersection, knowing that you'll have a VERY long detour if you turn the wrong way. Fortunately we ended up turning the right way and we found it, but the traffic had me so scared and frazzled by the time we arrived. Honestly, I was kind of rude to the front desk people when we checked in. They took it totally in stride, very politely and pleasantly. I appreciated that.

Our room was warm when we got to it. They have a fancy mechanism so you have to put your room card in a slot by the door if you want your lights and air conditioning on, so you can't leave the ac on while you're away. Too bad. We like coming back to a cold room, but once it is on the ac works well.

Aside from that, though, this place was like heaven. Our night at The Saba Hotel was at the end of our 6 weeks spent in Panama, and if you've spent any time in Panama you'll know that things often don't work well. Things--most things--are a little dirty, and they usually don't work quite right. This hotel was the opposite of that. Everything was crisp and clean. The style was modern and beautiful. When we would come back to our room, I could feel the stress melt away. I slept very well in this hotel.

I couldn't really figure out the breakfast situation. I went down once to look for breakfast, but I think I was a few minutes early, and then after that we were busy redistributing stuff in our luggage for our next flights, so I didn't look again, but I'm sure that if I would have asked they would have helped.

When I was carrying luggage upstairs, they helped but immediately left before I could get a tip for them. Same thing for printing some papers. We were printing our proof of onward travel for the next part of our trip and I brought it down to them on a USB flash drive and they printed it and put it in a folder for me, and declined a little tip/payment, almost surprised that I would even offer because of course they just want to help.

By the end of our short time there, I felt like they were just really awesome. The atmosphere in the hotel is super relaxing, and the guys at the front desk were just so pleasant and helpful, and they made little stressful things no big deal.

I would definitely stay here again; it was the perfect blend of a wonderful atmosphere, great service, good location (once you figure out where it is), and fair price. The Internet worked well for us.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Emily K
Oakland, California
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I have been to Panama 4 times in the last 6 years. My husband is full blooded Panamanian and I am Mexican-American, speak spanish fluently and we went in August for a funeral. I really wanted to like this hotel, but on the 2nd day there, there was a power outage, and they staff kept blaming it on the city itself!!!!! I understand Panama is a 3rd world country, but if you are going to operate an overpriced hotel, you better make sure you have a back-up generator to help get through the power outages. My husband is an electrician and noted that the generator they had in the of the hotel was way too small to keep all the rooms lit. Therefore, we were out of light for a full day...Major dissppointment! Also, the manager Thomas, reallly didn't seem to be apologetic.

It looked good from the other reviews, but all the devil is in the details and customer service. Staff tries really hard to be professional but the reception staff and the breakfast staff have soooo much to be desired. Marienela was the waitress who just couldn't get it together with the right order. She tried to memorize everything, instead of writing it down, and made me repeat my order 3 times before she got it right! So annoying~!!!There really didn't seem to be any training on how to treat customers.Cesar, the guy in the front desk during the evenings was so negative, that I hated walking past him, because I could sense he just hated being there. Never smiled, never hello. Plus, he also lied to me when I tried to report that I have left my husbands sandals after I checked out. He assured me they were there, but when my husband came to get them...the staff said they could not find them. The cleaning staff stole them and lied to my husbands face when he confronted the lady who cleans the rooms. Her name was Blanca from Nicaragua and I know she took the shoes~ because she was the only one who cleaned our room those 7 days.
The hotel rooms are just ok. The air conditioning is either too cold, and gets the floors wet, from condensation... so if you weren't wearing slippers, you ended up with a soar throat and a cough. We stayed 7 days and my 20 month old baby and I ended up sick. Also, they say there is breakfast included, but it consists of the same 4 things everyday!! Omelets, pancakes, eggs and some ham...but you can only choose one! After the 3rd day, of the same bland food, i wanted to leave. What really disspointed me was the wait staff during breakfast. While we are waiting to be served, this waitress (see above) is cleaining an empty table in an empty restaurant when it is obvious we are there to be served quickly. This is waitressing 101, but as is very notable, no one at the SABA Hotel has been trained in Hospitality in general. Overall major disspointment, and there are plenty of other better hotels in Panama. This one just doesn't have it together for what it tries to sell at an overpriced ticket.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Elvira C
Texas
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have been through Panama City three times now on my way to and from other locations in Panama. A friend suggested The Saba Hotel because it was close to her law office, and the last 2 times I had stayed at other hotels. One another small boutique hotel, and the other a Wyndham. This was definitely the best of the three. The room was nice, could have had a few improvements but nicer than I expected at this price. There are a couple of things they could improve on: Info in the room - there is no channel guide, mini-bar price list, menu for room service, or even a card telling you how to call the Front Desk (I tried "0" and "9" but neither of those worked, so had to go down to the Front Desk to ask a simple question). Secondly: breakfast - the first morning we were handed menus but after we ordered we were told that the inclusive breakfast did not include everything on the menu. Then, after having 2 cups of coffee I was told they would charge me $2 for another cup as only 1 cup was included in the breakfast and the 2nd one she had given me as a courtesy. That was the first time in any hotel that I have been told there was a "coffee limit"; maybe they are trying to help me be healthy by limiting my coffee intake. The service at the Front Desk was great. The location had plenty of places within walking distance, both restaurants and shops, and felt very safe walking around. I know there are a lot of other hotels in Panama City, but next time through I will stay again at The Saba Hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank PapaGrandeTexas
Guangzhou, China
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The area has a lot of other hotels and restaurants. Taxi is easy to find. Panama University if nearby and I walked to have a look. For dinner, I went to a Peruvian restaurant called Machu Picchu, which is about 10 mins walk. Its seafood is very good.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo