“Outstanding! Our best meal in Panama City!”
Review of Riesen

Riesen
Ranked #28 of 1,079 Restaurants in Panama City
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We asked at our hotel a quiet not so expensive dinning location we could walk to from our hotel. He recommended we try this restaurant. He had very little knowledge of the place but indicated that another couple of the hotel said it was very good. We arrived and opened the double doors into a very quaint room that had a long booth on one side and a few tables around. My guess about 20-25 people max. As the other reviews indicated, we were greeted by the family members, given a mojito sample and menu. Our menu was a little different from the previous reviews. Offered was Sea bass, pulled pork, duck and beef tenderloin. My husband wasn't feeling to well so he had soup which was a creamy tomato (Fantastic!!) and a salad with hearts of Palm and cashews... Yet again, Fantastic!! I had wonderful Sangria, freshly made and the beef tenderloin that was tender, juicy and cooked perfectly!! The sides were Amazing and presentation was fantastic! Moderately priced but we are going again before we leave! I want to try the duck!!! Even my husband who was not feeling well tasted my beef and was sad he was not feeling well enough to eat more! Outstanding job! Look forward to our next meal!

1  Thank Jan J

Reviewed 6 April 2014

My colleague and I thoroughly enjoyed the "Tasting Menu" last week. An absolute bargain at $67 and a great display of the skills of the young chef Hernán Correa Riesen. Fresh ingredients skillfully combined into an interesting six course meal (or was it seven - I lost count). This is a family affair, with the chef's mother and grandmother looking after the customers and justifiably proud of Hernán's achievements. All their staff were great.
Like others, I am lucky to have eaten at Michelin-starred restaurants around the world. This restaurant is much more relaxed and informal than these, but the food was really exceptional and Riesen is a chef to watch.
A great evening; thank you.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

My wife and I were early diners when we arrived at 6:30. The dining area is small (space for about 18-20.) When we were seated, we were served a small portion of a passion fruit mojito. I tasted it but did not really like it and my wife passed. The menu has 4-5 appetizers and 4-5 entrees. All were intriguing adaptations of Panamanian foods. I had the yuca churros with a little ropa vieja and my wife had hojaldres with shredded pork and culantro cream for appetizers. Both were excellent and satisfying portions. We could have left happy after those. But I had pasta (made with squid ink) tossed with a homemade sausage and other tasty ingredients which I did not identify but loved! Unfortunately, her beef fillet was undercooked and on the tough side. Nevertheless, the rest of the meal was so good that she did not complain. The service was attentive, but not intrusive. We did not order dessert, but we were served a complimentary mango sorbet with a little angel food cake. We thought that was a nice touch. We consider the meal a little on the pricey side, but enjoyed the creative approach.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed at the Toscana Inn and the doorman suggested we eat here. When you walk in the front door it seems as if you are walking into someone's home. There are only 6 tables. We were a little leery to say the least. But that left the minute we got our food. Both of us ordered the beef tenderloin and it was beyond great. Everything served with it just enhanced it. We had to get used to the presentation of food over what seemed like a long night. We waited, and we waited. We have had to learn that in Panama it is done on Panama time. Everything we ordered was exceptional. And, most of Panama must feel that way because 3 tables were reserved out of 6. Be aware, however, that it is pricey. Our meal for two without alcohol drinks was $60+

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Since you will probably be staying at the #2 rated TA hotel you need to take at least one of your dinners over at the Riesen, this is a very good place to eat, with a very sweet staff.
My wife and I started out with the soup of the day, dig this, they first put roasted cashews, some crated hard cheese, and a little Basel in the bottom of the soup bowl, bring it to your table, then pour the soup into the bowl out of a tea pot. Very nice...his night it was a tasty tomato soup.
Next we shared a elongated dish set with salad, sweet little cherry tomatoes, and again, some cashews.
For the main course I had the Duck, again, the long plate set with three shallow pool sod puréed butternut squash, with cut up portions of the duck, along with roasted apple. Then there was a slice of something like carrot, I couldn't make that out, but enjoyed it !
My wife order the SeaBass, Corvina, it was a fist sized piece of fish set on top a bowl of small peas and barley, with another pellet type 'thing' that was quite toasty, as well as tasty.
For dessert we got something for free from the staff, a sorbet with small cubes of Angel cake. The ordered dessert was a chocolate pudding with cream and cake and such and such. Suffice it to say it was wonderful, I could have enjoyed five !??!
The lady who owns the place is quite charming, and she works the floor nicely. Her grandson and others work the kitchen, they do a great job, both with the food prep, and the crowd. Very nice people.
I'm confident you'll love this place, it really is a sure thing, but please realize its nice, so here in Panama that means it's about a one hundred dollar per couple dinner, soup to nuts.
Bon Appetite, Salida1048