“Good Airport Hotel”

Wyndham Panama Albrook Mall
Ranked #6 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Great place to stay for easy access to Air Panama flights. We stayed overnight after arriving from Miami so we would be near the domestic airport for our flight to Bocas del Toro. Staff was very professional, eager to help, and courteous.

We tried to order a pizza from a local pizzeria without success. So we ordered a medium pizza from room service. It arrived and was the size of a personal pizza, smaller than a dinner plate. We sent it back and a few minutes later room service called, apologized and made us another pizza that was larger (though still smaller than a medium pizza). I was disappointed in the food but impressed with the desire to please. Their limited lunch and dinner menus.are reversed when it comes to the breakfast buffet - which included an omelet station. It was one of the best breakfast buffets I've seen offered by a hotel.

I recommend TRYP as a good airport hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Glenn S, General Manager at Wyndham Panama Albrook Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Thank you for the great review. I am glad that that our team members were professional, eager to help & courteous. :) Thank you for your helpful comments regarding the size of the pizza – I apologize that the size of our pizza was smaller than a medium size pizza. I will relook at our pizza with Our Executive Chef Yeins and make some changes. Besides our lunch & dinner menus in Canal Bistro we offer a daily lunch buffet and in the evening in our Gastro Bar we offer 15 different tapas. Incidentally, tapas are of Chef Yeins specialties. Glad to hear you enjoyed our breakfast buffet. Thanks for recommending our hotel and we hope to welcome you back again and we will make sure we get the pizza right. 

Reviewed 16 October 2013

If you like to shop, you need only to walk out the door to a shopper's paradise. If you like 4 star accommodations, then this is the place to stay. The rooms are excellent, the beds comfy and large TV and free internet a plus. The only improvement I can point out is the hot water in the morning-evening water was hot but in the am, luke warm.

Lastly, if you like live entertainment, you will enjoy the easy jazz and acoustic guitar sound of John Carney!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Glenn S, General Manager at Wyndham Panama Albrook Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Thank you for the great review. I am glad that that you enjoyed our location – connected to the largest shopping mall in Central America, the free internet and our excellent guest rooms & beds. Glad to hear you enjoyed hearing the acoustical guitar of John Carney who is playing the following Friday evenings in our Gastro Bar -- Oct 18th, Oct 25th & Nov 8th. We did have a challenge with lukewarm in few guest rooms on one floor which has now been resolved. We hope you we have an opportunity to stay with us again and enjoy the easy jazz and acoustic guitar sound of John Carney. :)

Reviewed 16 October 2013

The management here is really on top of things. We have lived in Panama for 3 months now and frequent Panama City hotels. Guest service is sometimes a completely missed concept in the rapidly developing country. However, this is not the case at the Tryp Albrook. I would recommend it for this, let alone the modern rooms, and convenience of shopping.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for a fantastic review. :) I share all Trip Advisor Reviews with my entire staff in a daily newsletter so it will be truly uplifting to my team members to hear your comments about the service we deliver. Thanks for recommending our hotel. I hope you enjoy living in Panama and we hope to welcome you back soon when you return to Panama City for shopping.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Very cool! Loved the decor. Loved the atmosphere. Great to have shopping center attached as I did some shopping after coming back from my meetings. Cozy bed! Really liked the lounge area. Will stay again.

Room Tip: Cerro ancon side, nice view.
1  Thank Analisa A
Glenn S, General Manager at Wyndham Panama Albrook Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you for the great review. I was so glad to hear that you “loved” the atmosphere of the hotel and our fantastic location – connected to Albrook Mall the largest shopping mall in Central America. I am thrilled to know that you would stay with us again.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

After reading good reviews of this hotel, decided to stay here for 3 days.

Pros

1. Excellent room, very comfy bed, nice flat screen Tv etc.. No problems
2. Excellent internet . Very high speed. The best part - No entering of passwords etc. Management, please keep it this way, if you can?
3. Nice well equipped gym!
4. very polite/friendly staff serving the breakfast especially the girl who makes the eggs.
5. High speed elevator. Never had to wait too long. No inserting of your room cards to start the elevator. I hate that!
6. Iron board and iron in the room. works very well.
7. High quality hangers in the cupboard. Such small things do matter!
8. General Manager all over the place trying to get feed back of his clients on how to improve the hotel. Appreciate that very much, sir. ( where there is a will...there is a way!)
9. The rooms are 100% Noise free. Love this feature. Its a rarity in modern day hotels.

Lets go to the cons

1. Hot water. Yes its available but not all the time. First, you have to wait for 5-7 minutes for it to arrive in your tap after wasting water for 5-7 minutes in running. And then 50% time, its flow is just too low . In the sense, that cold water is available in abundance but the hot water seem to shut off at times or just not be there. I will never stay in a hotel which claims to be a 4 or a 5 star but cant provide bubbly hot water 24 hours a day to all its rooms. No excuses.

2. The check in, check out is very very very long. They have 3 check in counters but always only one person is present or if you are lucky, maybe 2. Always a long que. I fail to understand that why can't they have all the 3 check in desks occupied? Labour is not that expensive in panama. Lets the girls do Facebook chat with their friends on the front desk awaiting clients rather than clients standing for eternity awaiting their turns. Shame on you Mr General Manager that you can't spot such a serious issue and you go about asking clients on how to improve. Be prepared to await in a long que forever if u are checking in. The girls seems to be lost and NOT trained either. Pretty clumsy infact. so the problem just amplifies!

3. The location in one way is awesome. Right next to the biggest mall. You would think you would get everything here what you need. But the heart of the city is a considerable distance away. You have to catch a cab and when it comes to catch the cab lies another problem described below.

4. The taxis standing in front of the hotel are a BIG con. For a journey, costing 2.5 USD in a normal yellow cab hailed on the street by self.. the hotel taxis demand 25 usd . Yes sir, 10 times the price. The front desk feign ignorance to such tactics. The hotel staff in front of the hotel always in cahoots with the cab drivers and help them elevate the price for your intended journey.

5. When you hail the cab from the city to return to the hotel, no cab driver seems to know how to arrive at the entrance of the hotel. Its a new hotel but their are no signboards on the road indicating how can a cab driver arrive at the entrance of the hotel. If the cab driver drops you in the mall instead of the hotel, be prepared to be lost. Because the mall is so big and almost like a labyrinth that you can't arrive to the hotel.

6. The hotel does provide a complimentary water bottle on your arrival. Thumbs up. But when you want more water bottles they sell a 330 ml bottle for 8 usd. And their are no vending machines I could see close by where you could get cheap water bottles.

7. I did not realize that the room was equipped with a bar. It was hilarious. I was trying to open the fridge to keep some personal food items and realized that the fridge is locked. Their was no notice in the room that room has a bar. They emptied the fridge for me to keep my stuff. Appreciated. But why lock the fridge and then no notice to indicate with any price list????

8. No great view from the room except the cranes and some mills.

9. I read somewhere that hotel provide free airport shuttle. wrong. No such facility available

10. Ate breakfast 3 days in a row. Absolutely 100% same menu. No change at all. very very mediocre breakfast. Though my stay was prepaid, they kept making me sign some reciepts. No idea, why!

Nothing More to say.

I recommend to try one of the city hotels especially if you are young and single and want to explore the city on your own. This hotel is in a deserted place away from all night spots.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on 8th floor . Gym is on the 8th floor too.
3  Thank Sally M
Glenn S, General Manager at Wyndham Panama Albrook Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Thank you for your very nice review. I want to thank you for being so detailed regarding the “pro’s” -- our positives and the “con’s” our “opportunities to improve”. I really appreciate you feedback in helping us to improve our hotels and service. Thank you for the many positive things you mentioned and but more importantly I would like to let you know the actions we are taking regarding the “con’s” you mentioned.
I was sorry to hear you had difficulty with your hot water. I can assure up that this is not an issue with the total hotel and I will send you a direct message asking you for your room # so that we can investigate what is happening with that particular room or section of the hotel. I apologize that you check-in and check-out process took so long. You are absolutely right we should have more team members at the desk and I am aware of the problem. We are in the process of adding more team members and until they are trained we will pull resources from other areas to assist.
Actually everything in Panama is relatively close to our hotel as the banking district, Casco Viejo and the Panama Canal are all within 4 miles of the hotel. You can reach all of these areas with 10 to 15 minutes during non-rush hour times. There is a cab service at the hotel that provides excellent service and clean cars and they charge a bit more – and sat the same time our guests may also request a “yellow cab”. The hotel itself receives no money from the cab service on site we only provide a cab service so that there are always cabs available.
As you mentioned, we did not have vending machines in the hotel but we do have a small gift shop open 24 hours called the “Grab & Go” located next to our front desk. At the “Grab & Go” you will find very reasonable prices including a bottle of water for $1.75. It appears that you ordered a Fiji Water or Evian Water through room service which will cost you more.
The guest room you stayed in had a view of the Port of Balboa – other guest rooms in our hotel feature other views including the center city area, Ancon Hill, the National Airport and the surrounding Clayton area. The only complimentary shuttle service we provide is to the City of Knowledge once per day leaving at 8:00am and returning at 5:00pm. I have already talked to our Chef Yeins about your great suggestion about changing up some of the food items on the breakfast buffet and we will implement your idea.
Thank you again for you detailed comments and for helping us to improve. Should your travel plans bring you back to Panama City we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Brand new hotel with "Outstanding people taking care of customers" at Tryp Albrook Mall, Panama City, Rep. of Panama
Great buffet breakfast every morning
Relaxed environment surrounded by nature...overall first class rating

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Glenn S, General Manager at Wyndham Panama Albrook Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thank you for your excellent review. I am glad that you found our hotel to be a place where… "Outstanding people taking care of customers". Our Executive Chef Yeins will be thrilled to know that you enjoyed the “Great buffet breakfast every morning” in our Canal Bistro Restaurant. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Great rooms, double pane glass to keep the noise out, caring management, modern decor, Samsung and Family suites..... The pool view is very nice and gym is extremely functional. Brand new, so a few newcomers hiccups, but an excellent upside.

The pastry chef is Panama's best!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite, they are nice!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Glenn S, General Manager at Wyndham Panama Albrook Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

I loved the title of your review “The Hot New Spot”. Thank you for a great review and most importantly that you felt “caring management” during your stay. I am blessed to work with a fantastic team and one of the team members you singled out as Panama’s best Pastry Chef – is our very own Chef Blas. Chef Blas worked at a very famous pastry shop for 31 years and a very good friend of mine who once worked with me helped bring Chef Blas to the Tryp Panama Albrook Mall. Chef's incredible breakfast pastries and desserts are show cased in our Metro Café open daily from 7:00am – 8:00pm.
We hope to welcome you back again and I am confident those few newcomer’s hiccups will be far gone.