“I need to pay more???”

and 1 more site!
Marbella Hotel
Ranked #83 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I have stayed at this hotel on several occasions. However, my last TWO trips were met by the same game of cat and mouse. You see, I would call the hotel, and confirm my reservation before departure. However, once I arrived at the hotel, surprise, surprise, they don't have a reservation for you.
The reasons I choose the hotel are location and price. But since I am a single traveler I do pay the lowest rate in their book. If anyone else shows up and can pay more than their listed single rate, they would not acknowledge an established and confirmed reservation despite giving these people your credit card information for them to hold a room for you. I repeat, this has happened twice causing me to change my credit card number TWICE.
If you value having your reservation honored after you call a hotel, and be able to actuallu stay there, I highly recomend that you find someplace else because these guys are not going to honor your reservation and don't value your business if someone else will pay more for your "Guaranteed" reservation.
Go there at your own peril, If you like carrying your bags to find another hotel despite having a reservation for this one, go ahead. I know that mess isn't happening to me again. I would go find another hotel and pay more if I have to so I don't have to find another hotel despite having a reserbation for THIS one. You have been warned!!!

Room Tip: This is a very simple bunk down hotel but if you want a best room, simply OVERPAY. That's what...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank Alexander1969

Reviewed 2 August 2011

Rates are $50US This hotel is clean and the staff is very friendly. Spanish spoken staff made it a bit difficlt for me but I am practicing. The rooms are small but everything works there is a restaurant and the soup was fantastic. as long as you keep the windows closed you will be able to sleep when the town awakens. I do not like that I had to pay $2US plus tax to use the computer to write this review.

Room Tip: top floor has great veiws of the city
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank michellemilnejones
Reviewed 16 June 2011

Stayed April 2010. This is the first time I went with a trip advisor suggestion, and after walking in went, hmmmmm. It was my only time in Panama City, so maybe I would feel differently after seeing the competition. Very clean, but the area and hotel had no charm at all. Advertised as qn beds but we got a double and an oversized twin. Weird. Good bar and air conditioning in the nearby casino! Adequate for a stopover and place to put your head, but there has to be better choices for the same value elsewhere. It is near shopping, but just stripmall junk. Big market was on nearby main street. Best deal in Panama is to find taxi driver who speaks english and hire him to take you anywhere you want and to stay with you. At his suggestion, we kept a guy over 5 hrs @ $10/hr, and visited historic downtown, locks, harbor, etc.

Room Tip: ask to see another rm if you don't like urs.
  • Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank vacationplannermom
Reviewed 24 May 2011

Pretty standard room, nothing all that special, but significantly cheaper than the other options in the business district in Panama City. Perfectly comfortable, and it came with A/C and had on-site parking. Friendly staff, though they do not seem to understand the concept of taking messages. At least one person spoke English, which was a help. Very nice restaurant on site, interesting and safe area to explore nearby, probably a 10 minute walk to central business district. I have stayed in a half-dozen hotels in Panama City now, and when I'm on my own dime, it'll be the Hotel Marbella every time.

Room Tip: I think they are all the same.
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Eric_in_NoVa
Reviewed 17 April 2011

A totally average place - functional rooms, quite basic. Dark corridors, sometimes friendly staff. Internet available in the attached bar / restaurant. Acceptable for the price.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 January 2011

The Marbella Hotel was a welcome rest after several long flights. The room was clean and the staff helpful and friendly. I wouldn't rate this establishment over average as the rooms were prettty "bare bone" and not very well appointed. But, for 1 or 2 nights the Marbella is adequate.
The neighborhood was average and there are adequate restaurants close by, as well as good shopping. I would not recommend this hotel for a family vacation, but it will serve it's purpose for a short stay.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Fruebertt
Reviewed 5 January 2011

Air Conditioners do not work. All knobs broken off. When called desk they bring you a knob so you can turn on or adjust temperature. Rooms hot and stuffy. All on 1 side face building that is VERY close. So your view is of rusted air conditioners and mold (no sunlight goes between 2 buildings) Most rooms painted a dark green giving you a feeling of being in a HOT cave. 2 small bath towels were dirty or badly stained. Provided with 1 small bar soap to be used for shower and sink. NO shampoo, hair dryer, lamp, alarm clock. 1 overhead flourescent light. Pillows were actually a pillow case stuffed with bunches of polyester.
Breakfast was a waitress asking you how you wanted your eggs (scrambled or omelet) and ham or bacon? No choices or menu.

We checked out after 1 night and went next door to the Toscano- an Italian gem that can't be beaten

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple