“Overpriced for the value”

Centroamericano Hotel
Ranked #70 of 114 Hotels in Panama City
Papeete
“Overpriced for the value”
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I used to stay here regularly. It was very good value for around $25. It is now more than double the price since they renovated it around 6 mths ago. You can def see where the money has been spent - restaurant and reception area ie what you seee when you walk in. From the previous reader's comments it seems only the price has gone up.

Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank MonoFelizPanama
hcpanama, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Centroamericano Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
Thank you very much for your comment and for your visit, as you mention in your critic our prices have gone up but equally we have improved the quality and service of the hotel facilities , they are now much more comfortable and enjoyable, to provide you a better stay. Thank you for your critic, these help us to improve day by day.
Greetings.
Andrea Perez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2011

Previous reviews seem to be all over the place! From terrible to terrific.

What we found was somewhere in the middle. We stayed at the Hotel Centroamericano on three separate occasions in February 2011. Different rooms, but same reactions to the accommodation.

The good: Terrific location, near downtown Panama City. We found it to be a very safe location. Lots of taxis to take you anywhere in Panama City for $ 2 - 3. Three high-speed internet shops within 2 blocks ($1 per hour). Restaurant on site is ok (see below) Good restaurant on Balboa Blvd two blocks away. Several 7-11 type shops within two blocks. Quiet, if you request a room on the Pacific side of the hotel. Nearby hospitals do not seem to bring sirens. Floor staff very pleasant.

The not-so-good: Rooms are very basic. In all our three rooms, the air conditioner controls were inoperative. They were stuck on "Cool" so we were quite comfortable, but we had no say in the matter! Lots of mold in the showers. No carpets in the rooms. No bathmats. Small towels. Restaurant closed on Sundays, with VERY SLOW service other days. For some reason, the elevator does not go to the main floor, so you have to carry luggage a half-story up to get it. That, plus several steps up to the main entrance makes this facility a non-user friendly place for handicapped visitors. The desk staff at times is less than accommodating, professing no understanding of English and often acting quite grumpy!!!

If we were to return to Panama City, we would quite happily return to Hotel Centroamericano, knowing the situation. You get what you pay for, and the costs are quite reasonable.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank stamperbc
manchester
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I have stayed at several smaller hotels in PC. This hotel was clean. The staff was excellent. The rooms were roomy, clean. Great AC.

The only negative was that their credit card machine was busted. We ended up paying in cash.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank jagday
Crystal Beach, Texas
Reviewed 30 November 2010

I stayed here one night before flying out of Panama. This hotel was a pleasant surprise for the money. The hotel has a modern feel to it. The staff is extra friendly and knowledgeable and speaks English. The maid saw me carrying my water pitcher and offered to fill it for me. The location is ok I guess but not much around it and it is a $25 taxi ride to the airport. However, I heard this is cheap considering there are few hotels close to the airport. I was able to get my ride with the Hotel Roma (around the corner) personal taxi driver in a nice new car. The wifi worked exceptionally well, the best I've had in Panama. This hotel was very clean, well maintained and fresh. The restaurant was being renovated so it wasn't open, but nice to know they are working to update it. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank txtootsie
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed 3 October 2010

I booked a trip here to stay for three nights they had me on record and would not let me stay because i did not print off my recipt. They have virtualy no technology at there that you can use to reference anything the staff was not willing to help. There was no place to park. They were undergoing construction when we arrived and the place was distroyed the neigborhood was not safe. This one hotel experince almost ruined my entire trip. Thankfully, I went to the Raddison Summit after Centoamershxxhole would not let me stay, and had a wonderful experince. The summit was one of the best hotels I have stayed at and would recomend it to anyone going to Panama.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shanerogers44

Travellers are raving about these Panama City hotels

Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Booked for 2 nights, after first we booked a different hotel. Why? First we needed to pint proof that we booked a room. Jetlagged late at night they sent my girlfriend to opposite internet cafe. Then they tried an old trick on us. We booked via internet with price discount so they gave us the room nobody wants. Old, airco malfunctioning, dirty and so on. On receiving a refurbished room, they charged 27,50 extra. We left the discussion till next day and went to bed. But were woken by phone since they wanted paid right away. Things got worse from there, they started saying creditcard payment was not received and voila a big discussion. Luckaly same internet cafe was still open thus we printed creditcard payment confirmation. We were fed up and told reception we would leave next day. We ended up having payed the original 55 dollars for 2 nights, but stayed one without refund. Mind you, they wanted 55 + 2 * 27,50 for 2 nights in a more expensive room that is moderate in the first place!!
Hope manager reads this review and sacks both receptionists for attempt to enrich themselves without administering this..!! Stayed saturdaynight 25th september. Other travellers be warned.
Oh, and due to renovation NO BREAKFAST included or possible. We had to venture through unsafe neighbourhood (hookers across street at night, unsafe feeling when finding breakfast, no help from reception what so ever)

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Coosofzo
Papeete
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I have lived in Panama 10 years and whenever I go to the city I always stay here. It's a good location, reasonably quiet, there is good security at night, there are lots of other hotels around (ie like the Hotel Roma, a rather large hotel that receives a lot of business people), so not completely isolated, and the restaurant downstairs is really good (fast service, good prices and local food). Do agree the lighting is often a problem and some rooms are a lot quieter than others. A taxi fare downtown is $1.25 - well worth being away from the busy part of town. Best value for me and I'll keep going there.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business