“Customer Service on Par”

Centroamericano Hotel
Ranked #73 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

My rating is based on the customer service I received from the hotel manager, Fabiola.
I did not stay at the hotel so on ratings concerning the actual building I selected average being down the middle since I didn't experience it but thought it was fair to do so. However here is my review.
I made two reservations, one in May and one in June. As my travel dates approached I was crunched for cash and stayed at a different hotel. Prior to being in Panama I called the hotel and canceled my reservations. When I called I was answered by an employee that only spoke Spanish. As it is a Spanish speaking country, I tried my best to convey my requests in the bit of Spanish that I do speak.
Fast forward to being back in the states and I see I'm charged for my reservation and two penalty fees equivalent to my reservation prices. I immediately call the hotel to see how we can fix the issue. Again only Spanish speaking with broken English, but I'm advised to call the following day and the manager will be in who does speak English. So I do so and I'm greeted and apologized to by Fabiola. We rectify the mistake/miscommunication and I have to say she offered some of the best customer service that I have ever seen! Heck I haven't seen someone work that hard to make things right here in the states! When I pass through Panama again I'll be sure to stay here so I can thank Fabiola in person! Thanks Fabiola for your excellent customer service!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Azariusjoe
hcpanama, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Centroamericano Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Thank you very much for writing about your case, we're glad you had such a good impression of our customer service, especially from Miss Fabiola, we regret the mistake we made, because as you know we study the case and you had all the reason, it was a lack of communication from the hotel which led to the error so it just was the right thing to do, anyway thank you very much for the patience and cordiality that you showed in a situation like this, we appreciate you for taking the time to write and praise our customer service, there is still a lot to improve but with your criticisms we can get better every day.
We will be very pleased to receive you on your return to Panama, and we will be happy to meet you.
Greetings!
Andrea Perez

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I was in Panama City for 2 nights at the end of February 2014, and as a guest of the "Hotel Centroamericano", I vouch for the good investment for the money: clean and modern hotel, clean and efficient rooms, friendly staff and very attentive. Needless to say, If I visit Panama again, I definitively will stay at the "Centroamericano Hotel". Mario F. Ruiz

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
hcpanama, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Centroamericano Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Hello Mario, we are very thankful for your review and for all the positive comments you write, we are so glad you had a good stay at the Hotel and that you want to come back!, we will be happy to receive you again.
We try to consider all your contributions to improve day by day, so we appreciate that our customers recognize our work and leave satisfied and looking forward to return.
You can follow us on our Facebook page, (Hotel Centroamericano, in the search bar).

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I found the room on the top floor clean, but the shower cold. The staff was friendly and the restaurant good. On checkout I found my computer which did not fit the safe missing! In all fairness, it could have been filched on the bus, however, I never received the courtesy of a response to my written concerns at the desk. Panama downtown looks great if you look up, but needs a good street cleaning once a year or something. Clean budget hotel, but look out! Rough town, next time will go more upscale. The staff, at least, were friendly.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
hcpanama, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Centroamericano Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Hello, thank you very much for writing, we appreciate the positive comments you mention, and we are sorry that you found some inconveniences that made your stay a bad experience.

On behalf of the hotel management we want to extend an apology to you and also let you know, that we had no knowledge of this case until now that you wrote by this way, the front desk did not give us any message you have left, but we would gladly help you, showing you the cameras or whatever it were on our hands, so we apologize and ask you to please send us an email to mercadeo@hotelcentroamericano.com, to keep following the situation.
The size of our safes are 15 inches wide x 14 inch deep x 7 inch tall and is designed to store a good size laptop, with plenty of room, sorry that even this did not help you to keep your laptop in your room, anyway we are sorry that has been lost.

We appreciate the recognition to our staff, we are very proud of them, and these kind of comments encourage them to continue doing a good job.
We're very glad that you liked the Café San Andrés, and enjoyed the delicious food.
About the shower, we do count with hot water, but by being a single tank which should fill the entire hotel takes a while to heat the water, but I can assure you we have heaters running all the time.

Thank you for your criticism, we'll be waiting for your mail to try to help you solve the problem of your missing laptop.
I hope you consider this response.
Greetings!
Andrea Pérez.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I thought it was a nice well located hotel. It is not that far from the old town or the new subway. The rooms were good enough. For the price, this place is good. I would stay here again. I think this place is a really good stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael F
hcpanama, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Centroamericano Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Hello, thank you very much for your review, we're glad you had a good stay, we are a small and familiar hotel but we try our best to give you the best service at the best price possible, we really appreciate that you value all our efforts.
We hope you enjoyed your stay in Panama, and come back soon we will be happy to receive you again.
Regards!

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

A nice hotel well situated in Panama City. Rooms were nice and comfortable but fairly small. On our first night my husband and i had two single beds. We were moved into a matrimonial room for our second night which proved most uncomfortable as this was a double bed meant for tiny panamanians, not tall and broad australians. I am not sure whether the other guests were just not aware of how loud they were or how far their voices carried at odd hours during the night or whether it’s a design fault of the hotel, that is, lots of hard surfaces that noise bounces off. So noise was a problem if you are a light sleeper like me. The cafe was good and efficient at breakfast time but was a nightmare for dinner as there was a large group there before us. We waited for nearly two hours and when it did finally arrive what we got was not anything like what was ordered. Apart from that, the hotel staff were friendly and helpful even though we spoke minimal spanish and they, mostly, had minimal english.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
hcpanama, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Centroamericano Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Hello, thank you for your comments, were glad you like the hotel and hope you had a good stay despite the inconveniences you mentioned, we will consider your review to keep improving every day and we can provide better service to our guests.
We also very sorry about what happened with the restaurant at the dinner, thank you very much for letting us know, the truth is that we always try that our staff provide the best service possible to all our guests, but we can not always control it, in any case we will take action in the matter!

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Friendly and helpful staff but hey did not know where the new Metro was located. Had to change rooms on second night because it was booked by someone else. This room was smaller and had something that made us itch and the double bed was built for small Panamanians. Breakfast was good and fast but diner was slow as there was a 16 person group in. We waited for 2 hours for a meal and went to bed without food. Nowhere close or safe to get food after 10pm. Other wise an OK hotel.

Room Tip: Try the Metro (San Tomas)two blocks away.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
hcpanama, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Centroamericano Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you very much for your comments, hope you had a good stay at the hotel despite the inconveniences you mentioned, but its truly surprising that nobody can tell you where the metro was, because is so close to the hotel and because must of our staff use the metro when they come to work, but im sorry that nobody can bring you the information properly.
Thank you for your criticism, it helps us to improve these details to provide you a better service to our guests.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed at Hotel Centroamericano and never had any problems. Check in was probably the fastest I have ever seen. I had prepaid the room and had the key within a minute with no other paperwork to do. Staff was friendly overall, though some would be more businesslike until after a few interactions. Others were very personable from the beginning.

Everything worked, hot water, air conditioning, etc. I did notice that the hot water was on the opposite setting from what I thought it would be, so I would have initially thought there was no hot water, but in other countries, I have learned to experiment or ask for help before deciding something is broken. More often than not, when I can't get something to work, I am doing it wrong.

I called for assistance with the room safe early in the morning, and within two minutes a very pleasant lady showed me how to do it.

I heard little traffic or other noise, so my room was peaceful enough.

Everything was as promised, and the Cinta Costera as well as the subway are very close. The hotel restaurant was good, basic. Breakfast was a selection of breakfast foods you would expect...eggs, pancakes and the like. The fresh fruit was a favorite though!

We had a good stay and felt like it was a good deal. Having irons for guests would be a nice touch.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank bakphoenix
hcpanama, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Centroamericano Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Hello, thank you very much for such positive comments, really, we couldn't be happier!, is our mission to always provide the best treatment and service to our guests and we strive daily to achieve that, we are pleased that our clients appreciate it!.
We are so proud anytime our staff receive recognition from guests, and they also appreciate your comments and encourage them to keep on with the good job.
Thank you very much for your recommendations, we take them in consideration for keep improving every day.
You can follow us on our facebook page (Hotel Centroamericano in the search).
Thank you very much and greetings!
Andrea Perez