“A dumpster would have been better”

Centroamericano Hotel
Ranked #66 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
Palm Harbor, Florida
“A dumpster would have been better”
Reviewed 3 October 2010

I booked a trip here to stay for three nights they had me on record and would not let me stay because i did not print off my recipt. They have virtualy no technology at there that you can use to reference anything the staff was not willing to help. There was no place to park. They were undergoing construction when we arrived and the place was distroyed the neigborhood was not safe. This one hotel experince almost ruined my entire trip. Thankfully, I went to the Raddison Summit after Centoamershxxhole would not let me stay, and had a wonderful experince. The summit was one of the best hotels I have stayed at and would recomend it to anyone going to Panama.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shanerogers44

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Booked for 2 nights, after first we booked a different hotel. Why? First we needed to pint proof that we booked a room. Jetlagged late at night they sent my girlfriend to opposite internet cafe. Then they tried an old trick on us. We booked via internet with price discount so they gave us the room nobody wants. Old, airco malfunctioning, dirty and so on. On receiving a refurbished room, they charged 27,50 extra. We left the discussion till next day and went to bed. But were woken by phone since they wanted paid right away. Things got worse from there, they started saying creditcard payment was not received and voila a big discussion. Luckaly same internet cafe was still open thus we printed creditcard payment confirmation. We were fed up and told reception we would leave next day. We ended up having payed the original 55 dollars for 2 nights, but stayed one without refund. Mind you, they wanted 55 + 2 * 27,50 for 2 nights in a more expensive room that is moderate in the first place!!
Hope manager reads this review and sacks both receptionists for attempt to enrich themselves without administering this..!! Stayed saturdaynight 25th september. Other travellers be warned.
Oh, and due to renovation NO BREAKFAST included or possible. We had to venture through unsafe neighbourhood (hookers across street at night, unsafe feeling when finding breakfast, no help from reception what so ever)

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Coosofzo

Travellers are raving about these Panama City hotels

Papeete
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I have lived in Panama 10 years and whenever I go to the city I always stay here. It's a good location, reasonably quiet, there is good security at night, there are lots of other hotels around (ie like the Hotel Roma, a rather large hotel that receives a lot of business people), so not completely isolated, and the restaurant downstairs is really good (fast service, good prices and local food). Do agree the lighting is often a problem and some rooms are a lot quieter than others. A taxi fare downtown is $1.25 - well worth being away from the busy part of town. Best value for me and I'll keep going there.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Charleston, SC
Reviewed 13 March 2010

I booked Centroamericano Hotel as an alternative to a large, impersonal chain hotel. I didn't need alot of amenities and thought it would provide more of the local flavor but I found that it left a bad taste. It is located a distance from the center of the city and closer to el Chorrillo, the worst part of the city (slums & gangs). Across the street from the hotel is a transient hotel with guys hanging outside and loud music late into the night. As a single woman traveler, I did not feel safe, especially coming home at night. There are no shops or restaurants close by. There is a hospital and traffic noise from Corredor Sur a block away and the noise could be heard in my room quite clearly since the windows of the room were old and didn't close fully and the air conditioner was also very loud.

The lobby is very small and the front desk ladies did not speak english. The hallways seem updated but the room and bathroom seemed like a Motel 6 from the 1950's. The light bulbs were so dim that you couldn't even read in the room. There were blood spots (looked pretty fresh) on one of my pillowcases. I brought a "bedsack" with me and slept curled up in it so I wouldn't have to touch the sheets or pillows.

The morning after my late nightime arrival,I made my way down the street and found an internet cafe and was able to buy a telephone card to try to contact 1-800 Hotels with whom I had booked the hotel. When I contacted them to ask for help in upgrading my hotel (I was willing to pay more), they told me they couldn't help me because I had already checked in.

I decided to head out, walking thru the city (a couple of miles) looking for a more familiar hotel. I found the Radisson and they welcomed me for 4 of the remaining 5 nights I had left in the city. On the last day of my trip I had to return to Centroamericano and had one last sleepless night.

If you are looking for a hotel with no proximity to restaurants, shops or the general population, I suppose this hotel would suite you. Just don't wander around at night and don't walk toward el Chorrillo!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank Panamapossibly
Amsterdam
Reviewed 20 January 2010

In case you are looking for a budget minded hotel in Panama City I recommend you all to stay in Centroamericano Hotel. It is simple yet clean. Our room had air condition, bathroom, cable TV, safe and telephone. We paid 30$ through Easy Click Travel web site and we were very grateful.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Virginia
Reviewed 7 December 2009

Marginal neighbourhood, but all in all a good place to stay. GOOD BEDS & SHOWERS!

Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends