“My point of view”

Ranked #100 of 113 Hotels in Panama City
Managua, Nicaragua
“My point of view”
Reviewed 8 February 2013

I stayed one week at Costa Inn Hotel with my mom on Dec 2011, price fit my budget perfectly. I think before rating this hotel or any other in Panama city you must understand its culture. Panamanians are not friendly, there are even signs on street (Albrook) that says: “Smile to the tourist”, so we shouldn’t blame the hotel for a rude treatment from the front desk and janitorial crew. I found the same problem with taxi drivers, store attendants, waitress and others, however there were few people who understood tourists must be welcome and treated with respect.

Above all, the owners who are Spanish were very kind and attentive; I liked the free shuttle to/ from Albrook mall, room service, breakfast buffet, restaurant menu, (that Cuban sandwich tasted so good), and I LOVED the tour operator Viajes florencia, nice tour guide.

I must mention our first night there the hotel double charged dinner to my credit card and I didn’t know it until I came back to work but I contacted the hotel, they apologized and wired the money back. I was happy for that.

Room was clean, small and comfortable and I’m planning to go back this December with some friends. Enjoy Panama! 

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Darlene M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed 19 January 2013

I needed a cheap hotel in Panama and this one met my expectations. It's not a great hotel, it's old and the rooms could use some improvement, mainly the bathrooms. But the room was comfortable enough for a 2 night stay. The breakfast is decent and their restaurant has a great menu for lunch (inexpensive too). The swimming pool at the top of the hotel is nice and has a wonderful view of the city. There's a tourism agency in the hotel and they help you find some tours (not very good though). There's a free shuttle to and from the airport and the malls, but expect old vehicles. The staff are inefficient but so is everyone I met in Panama.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank claudiafros
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 18 January 2013

There is one lovely woman at the reception, Marketa (spelling?) She made a couple of phone calls for dinners for us. We asked two different men at the desk to make a call to the restaurant for a reservation. In a very surly tone, we were told that we had a phone in our room. My husband asked if the reception person could make the call as our Spanish might not be good enough. He told us it would be 50 cents; my husband said, "Fine." After the call, which the reception person did not want to make, he told us it was $1.00 as it went over 2 minutes. We think the $ went into his pocket.

We had to use our shoulder to open the door on 506; the sheets were see-through--there were two towels in the bathroom; there were not bathmats. My husband slipped and badly cut his foot. The woman at the desk saw that we got bathmats. There were no washcloths and no hairdryers.

There were no pool towels. The pool had missing tiles on the deck and in the pool; there were two filthy, hard deck chairs.

The guide books said this place has Cable TV--only CNN in Spanish. It also advertises Internet. The Internet was broken.

My husband took a MIAMI HERALD from the rack and started to read it as we were waiting to go to the airport. The rude reception man yelled across the room that the papers were for purchase. He did not need to yell; he could have quietly told us. We would have paid for it, but as he was so rude, we just put it back. Every hotel we were in prior to this dump had complimentary papers to share.

The breakfast eggs were cold; fortunately we found the microwave. The two women were lovely.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank edward03

Travellers are raving about these Panama City hotels

Reviewed 31 December 2012

Let's start by saying I stayed here in 2009 and although it was cheap, you still got decent breakfast, free transport to hotel from airport and to malls, and friendly efficient staff, so what the hotel lacked in shine and polish it more than made up for in value, so it was I chose to rebook again for November 2012.
What a difference 3 years makes. Yes the transport is still available, but only a couple of times aday, and since they pick up from a handful of hotels it can be cramped, yes the breakfast isn't terrible, but most mornings due to a tiny dining room, you can never get a seat, and since breakfast only runs from 7 til 9 once it's gone it's gone, so if you arrive after 8am you better not be too hungry.
Some of the friendly staff remain, but it seems to redress the balance, other ignorant, abnoxious staff have also been hired.
The area the hotel is situated was once a fairly nice area, however whilst staying there I was informed by the local police not to venture out alone in the area after dark.
That leads me on to my primary concern. The hotel lacks any form of security guard, and anyone is welcome into the hotel to visit the restaurant. Room key cards are used to enter stairs and lifts, however most of the time these are open for anyone to wander in.
Which is how I ended up being robbed whilst in the hotel, which the staff seemed very blasé about. The police informed me this was due to the fact it happened often at the hotel but the owners had done nothing to address it. So there ends my essay. This was an average hotel with good value, however it seems the owners have let it slip.

• Stayed November 2012
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 8 December 2012

I chose this Hotel because of my guidebook and the free airport shuttle - but that was a mistake.

The hotel shuttle is marked with a tour company logo, not the Hotel’s. The front desk staff speak very little [or no] English – which is fine, BUT, they didn’t have much patience for my limited Spanish and didn’t try very hard to make the airport pick-up directions understandable.

For what turned-out to be about $4 dollars more per night, but without an included airport pick-up [but can be arranged for a reasonable fee], the Baru Lodge is INCREDIBLY better.

This Hotel’s location is OK. The neighborhood may not feel safe to some at night. It is a noisy one-way street on a hill which means the muffler-less busses and trucks are really loud in the rooms on lower floors facing the street, even with the window closed.

The room was not very clean. Plumbing leak. The WiFi didn’t work on my floor either of the nights I was there, and was very slow in the mornings. The A/C worked the first night, but not the second – apparently you have to ask them to flip a switch at the front desk if you want the A/C to work beyond the first night?!?

The free breakfast was fine.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank steve k
Christ Church
Reviewed 28 October 2012

My family and I booked Costa Inn after searching the internet widely for affordable hotels to stay in the summer of 2011 (never mind Tripadvisor only gave me up until Nov' 2011 as the date i went) .

What i really appreciated was the shuttle services to and from the airport and those to Albrook Mall, all complimentary.

The rooms are simple but comfortable enough to get a good night's rest. Do not forget to let reception know that you'd like the A/C on when you return from your shopping/ sightseeing (they tend to turn it off while you are out to conserve electricity). Panama is quite humid and you would rather not bake in your room.

Breakfast is included in the price you pay and i must say that i wasn't disappointed with the selection of food and fruits.

The staff are typically pleasant and willing to assist in any way possible.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank njanna
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Not really much to say about this hotel. It's ok but nothing special. Reasonably cheap, ok breakfast, pretty central. Best thing was the roof top pool - not very big but never busy - with great views over the city.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends