“what happened to Marriott standards?”

Courtyard Panama at Multiplaza Mall
Ranked #22 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Marriott is a brand, and it has to deliver the same quality service all around the world. That is what is known as the "Brand promise"....not quite at the Multiplaza hotel.
I've been there before, and my stay and work sessions (two different types of requirements) were pefectly matched.
Not this time:
My room: can't argue on how clean it was...., wonderfull bed, etc... but it was simply impossible to sleep with the noicy AC!!, when it was working....., because, somehow, after an hour or so...it turned off.... and then....temperature in the room wen't up. Two nights fighting against the AC.., what did I prefer? sleepless night because of a noicy AC ? or sleepless night because the room was to warm....? tough choice!. Marriot also has a Brand promise around the food. Breakfast was really basic. scramble eggs, bread, cereal.. etc I mean there is a lack of originality. And everywhere around the world, Marriot delivers a superb breakfast abundance of choices.
I can also say, because I had to work in the hotel for 2 days, that also had the opportunitty of eating lunch..... again a miss. Lack of choices, EVERYTHING was done with flour, so if you're on a diet, there is nothing you can eat.... not quite..., two lousy salads....

As for the service in their conference rooms: also presented a few gaps.....worked there for two days: 1st day: they were mounting the place....one our before we had to begin..., the AC on that room had two choices: freeze (one part of the room, or sweat... on the other half).. so it was only a matter of playing chairs and moving around the room, in order to get an appropiate working temperature.... also the light was not even... some places had more, others had less, but yoy know?, it didn´t matter, cause you were moving around the room anyways in order to get the temperature you best prefered....
on the second day: they moved us from that conference room (not because they wanted to improve their service, only because they had a lot of events, and that room had been rented to another company)... without previously giving us notice.... so, many people entered to another conference, before realizing we weren't there!.
when Marriott decided to move us..., they only thought about tables and chairs....they simply forgot about the important work we have been doing on the first day, which was written on flipcharts.... when I asked for them.... a say what? face, came from the waiter who was servicing the meeting.....one flipchart was never found.....

at the end of my stay, I asked for the comments box, wrote a long letter, in order for them to improve, because I'm a Marriott loyal customer..., and when introducing the note to the box, it was full....and told the recepcionist ." you must have a lot of "suggestions!"., and she responded.....: NO, THEY ONLY EMPTY THE SUGGESTION BOX EVERY SIX MONTHS: ...

And that is the reason I decided to use this forum.... travelers.... just note that it's going to take a while for them to notice their flaws....

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mimiMexico_df
Floribeth G, General Manager at Courtyard Panama at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear MimiMexico
Thank you for your comment. We are sorry to hear that your stay was not up to par, however, it is my pleasure to inform you that thanks to comments like yours, we can improve and avoid such problems in the future.
We will verify all the situation mentioned by you with our staff in order to enhance, analyze and correct our opportunity areas.
We are glad that you had enjoy our bed. When your travels bring you back to our lovely city, please give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Best Regards,
Floribeth Gutierrez / General Manager

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel. It is located by the Multiplaza Mall, very convenient since the Mall has everything you may need. It has all kind of restaurants, movie theater, disco clubs, beauty salons, Chuck & Cheese for the kids, among many other fun stuffs.

I had two different rooms, both of them were clean and up to Marriott standards. The housekeepers were friendly and always accommodated all our needs with a smile (6th floor housekeepers).

The hotel has a restaurant where you can have breakfast, buffet style. The buffet has a great selection of food of all types, everything delicious. I wish I remember the name of the server (Joel maybe), he was amazing! The best service we received during our stay in Panama.

We did a lot of room service and were very fortunate to received the service from Ariel Gonzalez. Always polite, he provides a great customer service. Even my son, of 3 years old, knew his name and liked to talk to him. He always made sure that everything was perfect and that we were satisfied before leaving the room. Great asset for this hotel.

Additionally and very convenient, the hotel has private transportation available 24/7, for those like me that do not trust public transportation. Eduardo (green car) took excellent care of us!

The staff of this hotel is amazing and me and my family had a great time there, thank you for everything! We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Jalil M, Manager at Courtyard Panama at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2014

Dear KarinFK:
Thank you very much for your kind comments and letting us know about your wonderful stay. Definitely we have a great location but we pride ourselves in the heartfelt service that our staff has. Joel, Ariel and Eduardo were all really happy to hear that their efforts were welcomed by you and your family. Thank you again for staying with us and we can’t wait for you to come back and stay again at the Courtyard Multiplaza.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed a total of 6 nights, it was clean and comfortable. We had a lovely housekeeper named Gilka that I enjoyed 'trying' to talk to her. The staff was very nice and helpful with transportation and local restaurants. Very conveniently located next to a nice mall with a great food court and a grocery store. We did not eat at the hotel but I would recommend Palador in the mall very highly! Fields and Daniel were our drivers, they were friendly, knowledgeable and great tour guides. We had a breaker pop and they sent someone up to fix it promptly. The only negatives were that room service closed a half an hour early, after a 18 hour travel day we were starving and the coffee bar was not open at the posted hours.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear memeNewarkOhio:
Thank you for airing your review through this channel and letting us know about your stay. We are delighted that your experience was pleasant. Our staff feels overjoyed when they receive comments like yours. I will be sure to relay your kind remarks. Thank you again for staying with us and we will happily be waiting for your next visit.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I stayed here twice with my tour group. Both rooms were very nice. It had nice ammenities. It's pretty much attached to the mall, so it is convenient for shoppers. Nice restaurants like Tony Roma's are within walking distance as well. However, why go somewhere else to eat when the food here is 4 star!! The staff was very friendly to me and my boyfriend, always making sure we had what wanted and that everything was tasty to us. The food was buffet style and was always top notch. The breakfast and the dinner was excellent. The ammenities are great for business and large groups that want to meet exclusively. This location offers free wi-fi and has about 3 or 4 computers downstairs that are free to use. A copy machine is also available for guests to use. I was impressed with my stay here and would use it again if I'm in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear greenehalltam,
Thank you for sharing your comments through this channel and letting us know how nice your stay was. We are thrilled that you experience was pleasant. I will let kitchen and waiting staff know that you enjoyed the food and service. I know they will be thrilled to receive the news. Thank you again for coming to Panama and staying with us, we can’t wait to have you back!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My family and I arrived at midnight, but knowing that our flight would arrive so late, we sent an e-mail a week before to confirm this with the hotel. Not only did we not get a response, but our room was not ready at midnight (10 hours after the normal check in!). My children were tired, since we had been traveling for 15 hours and we looked forward to sleep. The lady at the front desk made us wait for an hour and could not find an available room. She gave us the junior suite for the trouble, but there was only one bed and a tiny sofa bed so we did not fit. We waited for another hour while the extra bed arrived, only to be told ONE hour later (after we had unpacked) that they realized there were no spare beds. It was already 2 am so they gave us a second room which had a horrible moldy smell. Then, we changed rooms again the next day. That was three rooms in less than 12 hours. No apologies, nothing.
The last day my daughter noticed two small bugs but no one thought anything of it until after we left because my older daughter developed itchy bites. Yes, they were bug bites.
So overall, no I do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Floribeth G, Gerente at Courtyard Panama at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Mari N
Thank you very much for airing your concerns through this channel.
We are sorry to hear that your stay at our hotel was less than ideal. We want to assure you that all the proper measures have been taken so that the circumstances you enlisted won’t occur once more.. We take all feedback seriously so that we are working with our employees to correct these situations.
Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. It is only with your insight that we can continuously improve. We would love to have the opportunity to show you how pleasant it can be to stay at our hotel. Please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Best regards,
Floribeth Gutierrez / Gerente General

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Well, first trip to Panama and decided to go for a Courtyard given some standards they supposedly follow worldwide.

Unfortunately I guess this one just forgot about all of them.

They do have a renovated lobby, but guess what? We don't sleep in the lobby!

Cleanliness: 0 (it is not difficult to find someone's hair in the bathroom)

Availability: 1 (even with a 30-day reservation, I was put in a disability room). Question is: what they would do if a person really needs that room?

Customer Orientation: BIG 0 (do you think you will be treated well if you are an elite member? FORGET IT! They don't even mention it

Meals: 4 (it is above hotel average and breakfast is includes which is a plus)

Location: 4 (mall, business centers, yes, that works)

Well... It looks like more a Fairfield Inn than a Courtyard... Maybe they should just change its name.

Stayed: July 2014
Floribeth G, Gerente at Courtyard Panama at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Pokinatch, thank you for your comments. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations
On the flip side, we are pleased to know that you find our hotel in a great location. Multiplaza Mall is in fact one of the most exclusive malls in the country and we are extremely close to the Americas tower, where many high profile companies have their Latin American headquarters.
Again, thank you very much for reviewing our hotel. We always strive to achieve an excellent hotel experience. Only by receiving the comments of our valued customers, we can improve and progress towards our goal. Best regards,
Floribeth Gutierrez / General Manager

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Great hotel with nice and comfortable rooms. They offer a big breakfast buffet and the restaurant is open for lunch and dinner as well. You can use also the pool or the gym.It is located steps away from the biggest mall in the country.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Floribeth G, General Manager at Courtyard Panama at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Alberto. Thank you very much for airing your concerns through this channel.
we are pleased to know that you find our hotel neat, comfortable and in a great location. Multiplaza Mall is in fact one of the most exclusive malls in the country and we are extremely close to the Americas tower, where many high profile companies have their Latin American headquarters
Floribeth Gutierrez