“Air conditioning not cooling”

Veneto Hotel & Casino
Ranked #100 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed for 3 nights upon arrival they could not find our reservation but they had a room for the same price but with 2 doubles so we settled for this we complained the AC was not cooling very good in our room they said someone would look at it but no change this room did not have a coffee maker or refrigerator I think some other Wyndham properties might be a better choice for the money

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Irene V, Executive Director at Veneto Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Paul C:

Thank you for your recent review. We apologize that your reservation was not ready on arrival, but are pleased that the front desk was able to accommodate you when you arrived.
We also would like to let you know that during your stay with us, we did experience a mechanical failure in our chiller system, and that failure caused a large percentage of rooms to be under-cooled. We have resolved the AC failure and are awaiting new parts for the final repairs. We are also in the midst of replacing all of our mini-bars, and by the end of June, all rooms will be equipped with brand new units. Coffee makers are available for all of our guests, at no cost, you simply need to request one at the front desk.
I realize that all of this doesn’t make your experience any better, so I would like to reiterate my apology that your stay with us dist not meet your expectations or our standards, but I would like to invite you back for another visit, to see all the improvements we have made.
Cheers,
Irene

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I just completed an enjoyable 3-day stay at the Veneto hotel. In summary, it is a comfortable hotel and a good value. Here are the details:

Service:
The service I received was exceptional. From the receptionist to the gift-shop-clerk/concierge I was very happy with the way I was treated; always polite and dependable. They went so far as to arrange a private tour to the Gamboa rainforest and Summit park. They made sure my driver spoke English which was an important requirement. The entire staff was always ready to help. Of particular note was their positive and very grateful reaction to modest tips.

Security:
I was nervous about security from some of the reviews I read. I am pleased to report that I experienced no problems. Being a Casino, there are cameras throughout the hotel which was comforting. There are also security guards in the lobby/casino areas to keep a close watch. I left my laptop and ipad in my room without worry. The maids are great and are very considerate. One thing I learned from people I met is that one of the biggest things to worry about are fake cabs. Each cab has a sticker on its side that is supposed to match the license plate number. If they don’t match, don’t get in. These fake cabs are known to charge exorbitant rates and in some cases are known to rob customers. Real cabs that are readily available through the hotel are safe and are worth the slight premium they charge. It costs $30 to the airport, which I thought was reasonable.

Food:
Here’s where the lost a ½ a point. To be fair I only had breakfast once and room service twice, so I can’t judge the other restaurants (sushi bar and steakhouse). The breakfast buffet was just ok and was expensive ($15). Room service was good and fast and surprisingly affordable. The chicken fingers were great, the cheese-steak not so much.

Nightlife:
The casino was fun and the band that was there was quite good. It is filled with ladies of the night, but none of them are pushy. They are confined almost entirely to the casino, so if that’s not your thing they are easy to avoid.

Rooms:
I stayed in a suite on the 14th floor (#1402). It is located right above the pool area on the 7th floor. Throughout my entire stay I did not hear a neighbor or anything else for that matter. The sound-proofing seemed to be excellent. The a/c worked well and the water was plenty hot. The furnishings and interior are a bit dated as others have mentioned, but I didn’t find them offensive. The bed was very comfortable and I had no trouble sleeping. The hall has a slight musty sent (smells a little like mildew). My room smelled fine. One plus is that smoking is not permitted in any public building in Panama. I never smelled it once during my stay.

Value:
My room was very reasonable for what I got, especially with the extra discount they were offering through the website. It is not up to the standards of the Waldorf or Trump, but for the price it is hard to beat.

They really deserve a 4.5, but I gave them extra credit for the stellar service.

Room Tip: - suites are worth the extra expense - use the hotel cabs to avoid trouble - take advantage of the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Upon arrival 4pm a rather late check in time in my opinion. The car dispatched from the hotel
Appear at the airport. We were. Shown to a room that was dirty, not made up and with
An odor of smoking and other undistinguishable odors. The bellman called down to reception
For another room, a clean odorless room on the same floor was found. I suffered back problems
As a result of the extremely soft beds. The advertised breakfast included was pricey at $30 for 2. Transport from airport was reason for choosing this hotel, and it wasn't. Would only recommend
This hotel to Monger friends of mine, no family.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel-best tip
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bob_furlong
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Need I say more? In 4 nights we had to change rooms 3 times and no it wasn't because we were being upgraded. At least the various hookers holding court throughout the property were smarter - they went home every night as opposed to trying to get a restful night's sleep. Bring earplugs.

Great food and restaurants within walking distance but a warm bottle of water in the minibar will run you $8.07. The variety store across the street will sell you 3 ice cold beers for $3.50. Getting the picture?

For masochists only...

H Gocht
Toronto Canada

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank hgocht
Reviewed 29 January 2014

My first visit to Panama City in mid January. Hotel is alot of fun and lots going on. It is a casino with bars, live music, dance lessons etc. Great for adult active single travelers or couples.
Veneto is great location.
El Congreho section is right there with various restaurants to walk to.
Next to or across from hotel are several small pharmarcies, internet/office services, several small resturants, a great boutique store for womens clothing. Many clothing stores and a large El Rey grocercy store all walking distance. Sprago clothing store on corner is excellent clothing values.
Clubman mens store around the block, terrific mens clothes at reasonable prices.
There is local talent in the casino at night.
The local talent are friendly and well mannered. Not any problem.

Hotel Security is execellent.
There is always hotel staff in front of hotel and in lobby ready to assist to get a taxi or help baggage. Gym and outdoor pool on 7th floor. You have to have a room key to operate elevator

My room was on 13th floor. I could see the Pacific ocean in the distance. My room excellent. Nice foam queen bed. Bath shower large glass doors. Shower has room for two easily & plenty of hot water.
I booked direct with Wyndam so my resevation and billing were all correct & no problems.
You can print your boarding pass from hotel computers (their are in the gift shop).

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank BTNDOS
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Wyndham Veneto is a good hotel if you are traveling with friends or by yourself. THIS is not a hotel for couples and families, because by 9:00 the hotel is filled with gamblers, drunks, and "ladies of the night." The hotel is in a good location, within walking distance to many restaurants and bars. There is also a sushi bar in the hotel that was surprisingly good. I didn't have any problems with the rooms, except at times they smelled a bit musty. However, they were relatively large, had a flat screen tv, and nice bathroom. I was traveling with a mate and we were content with our stay, because we got the rooms at a discounted rate. People should just be aware that this hotel has a very active night life scene.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Grego2
Reviewed 25 January 2014

My buddy and I stayed here on a planned overnight layover coming from Bogota. On the way to Bogota we did the same and stayed at the Waldorf Astoria in Panama. These are polar opposite hotels. I reviewed that hotel as well. First off, the other reviewers hit the nail on the head with this one. It is musty, dank and dirty..BUT there are plenty of girls and gambling if that's your thing. I would much rather stay somewhere else and cab it over to the Veneto for the nighttime action. The rooms were not very well kept. See pictures below. If you just want hookers and gambling at night, then this is the place to be. If you want a good room, keep looking.

Room Tip: Best rooms are in other hotels.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends