“We Loved It”

Veneto Hotel & Casino
Ranked #100 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My husband and I spent four nights at the hotel while visiting our son who lives in Panama. I had heard stories about the hotel, and some of the reviews we read were not great. But our son assured us it was a really fun place. And it turned out to be true. There were some lovely staff working in the 17th floor lounge that took great care of us. We had great massages in the spa. And we enjoyed wine at the pool every evening as the sun went down and it was a little cooler outside (its HOT in Panama). The hotel was very central so we were able to take day trips every day. The rooms were spacious and clean. Our cleaning lady was adorable, and she told us many stories about Panama. We played slots every night after dinner. And my husband was certainly amused by all the female entertainment. We loved it. A fun hotel.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 17th floor. It was quiet and clean. It gave us access to breakfast and evening...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I try to avoid this hotel when in Panama but was stuck with it due to purchase from Priceline. The checkin was terrible. Long wait. Only one person at the desk. Get a clue management. You have one of the busiest hotels in Panama and have one person checking in in the evening. Then the person was so busy when I offered my Hyatt loyalty number, he kept avoiding to enter it and when I insisted, he finally entered it but clearly did not give me an upgrade which my status calls for and the better rooms were available as I found out who walked in and purchased a room two hours later because I was staying there. The room I stayed in smelled like cigarette even though I specifically stated that I don't like smell of cigarettes but I was too tired and was there for only one day so I put up with it and went to sleep to forget about the smelly room. I urge the management to get their service up to par and to make sure that their loyal customers get preferential treatment. One other thing, if you are going to be there with your family, please stay far from this hotel. You will thank me later.

Room Tip: Please ask for upgraded rooms. There is a clear different between the rooms that are upgraded and o...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mr_Universal
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I travel a lot for business, mainly hilton, so thats my standard. Arrived 4/3/14. Front desk personnel were not friendly at all and very slow. Got to room...very humid...and could not get temp down. Called front desk 5 times and no answer. Finally got an answer and they said maintenance would be up to check it out. They never came. Service at the bars and restaurants was horrible. Staff had very bad attitude and acted like they were doing you a favor to wait on you. These are the laziest people I have ever seen in a hotel. One day the maid did not clean my room. I had to ask. Then I went to take a shower and she did not leave any towels. I called the front desk and they said they would send some towels to my room. Never came. I had to dry off with tissues. I will never stay at this hotel again. Stay with the american chains people !

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We felt so welcomed to this hotel. Irene and her staff made sure we had an excellent stay, and gave us lots of tips and help with our planning. We had a beautiful suite on the 16th floor, which we weren't expecting at all. We had a great meal at the Steak House and fun in the casino, though there are lots of "interesting" people down there. Thanks for the help and hospitality Irene, we will surely return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2014

If you are thinking of staying here, you need to understand this place is basically a brothel. They start letting girls into the casino level at 7pm and they stick around all night. Most of them are Colombian. Some of the finer ones they actually let live in the hotel for free to attract men to the casino. If you plan on engaging their services, this hotel is a good place to stay as many of the other hotels charge a 'guest' fee.
As for the hotel, the rooms are very nice, clean and comfortable...what you would expect from a Wyndham property. The thing I like about this place, that not many people seem to take advantage of, was the free happy hour with tapas and cocktails. Every night from 6 to 8 they serve free food and drink on the 17th floor...everything from chicken wings and quesadillas to fish sticks and nachos. Nothing special, but free and if you want, you can just about make a meal of it. They also serve wine and cocktails. I went just about every night but never saw more than 3 or 4 others in there. Kind of surprising for a 200 room hotel. I think it's because they don't advertise it. I saw it in fine print on the website. They also have a continental breakfast there in the mornings.
As for the service in this place...that's a whole other story. I'm going to copy/paste what someone else said and confirm it couldn't be more true. "You can be 1 of 3 people waiting to be served at the bar, yet the 6 bar staff will studiously avoid eye contact and keep you waiting for 10 minutes."
One night it took me 15 minutes just to get a menu at a bar table. Then, you would think that once you have a menu that one of the staff would understand that you probably wanted to order something, or at least check to see if you might. It took another 15 minutes to get someone's attention for that. They stand around talking to each other and couldn't care less that someone might want to make a purchase. It's pathetic. I guess they just don't have the same service standards that we do in the States. It turned out to my advantage because I ended up eating more food upstairs and when I wanted a drink I would go over to the craps table area where they make drinks for the gamblers. I'd just tip the waitresses over there for free drinks even though I wasn't gambling.
All in all, I like this place (3rd time staying here) but you have to get it for the right price. I've gotten it for as little as $50 a night (prepaid/non refundable) and I think that's a great deal.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Jim K
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We arrived at Veneto, check in went well. Vicente was helpful in arranging a tour for us for the next day. We had other family arriving later from NY and he arranged it so we were all on the same floor and right next to each other. Our room was clean and the air worked very well. No complaints about our room or the service. Everyone was very friendly.
My Negative experience, We went to the Casino on our first night and it was prostitution central. Made for interesting people watching but quite uncomfortable. We stayed a short while and didn't go back during our stay. I'm glad our group were all over the age of 25 because if I brought me son there I would have left and found another hotel. I wonder if this is the same for other hotels in the City because it is legal in Panama.

Room Tip: We were on the 13th floor. It was quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LynnH_13
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Good hotel, shocking bar service. You can be 1 of 3 people waiting to be served at the bar, yet the 6 bar staff will studiously avoid eye contact and keep you waiting for 10 minutes. Find a hotel with better service

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business