“Not unless there is nothing else”
Review of Hotel Montreal

Hotel Montreal
Ranked #109 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 28 November 2009

IF you absolutely have to have a place to stay then this hotel would work, but if you have any other choice I would go with it. I found myself in need of a hotel after figuring out I had not booked our original hotel for the 2nd part of our stay. (my fault not theirs) So I found this one, The price was slightly higher than the one we were at but included breakfast. So at the end of our trip we arrived to check in, after about a 45 min delay we get checked in. The rooms were small, and the bathroom ... well i have seen 1/2 baths larger, with no mirror. And the door had only a dead bolt (no handle) and a slide lock. The staff seemed to be bothered when we asked for things at the front desk. The last day we requested a 5am wake up call (as a back up incase we over slept) when we left at 5:45am we still had not received the call. I will give the front desk credit for arranging for a cab that was on-time and clean and charged exactly what was agreed upon.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 August 2009

We stayed at this hotel our first day in Panama and regretted it. The desk clerk got annoyed when we asked to see if our friend we were meeting had already checked in and rudely informed us in Spanish that we could either make a reservation or leave. Sixty bucks in Central America will buy you a lot of things, but at this hotel all it got us was a room the size of a closet with an uncomfortable bed and an air conditioner spewing moldy cold air. We were lucky, our friend's room apparently had bed bugs! To be fair the rooms were pretty clean, had warm water, and seemed to be somewhat secure, but If you're looking for a place to stay in Panama City I'm sure you can do better than this for the price.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anna_in_the_Tropics
Reviewed 20 July 2009

My self and 3 of my children stayed at this hotel on July 18th check out July 19th, 2009. We had been traveling all through Panama and wanted to catch a shower before our return trip back to the states. During our travels through Panama never contacted anything, however our last night in Panama stayed at this hotel Montreal, It was the most expensive place we had stayed and the beds where full of bed bugs. After about 1 to 2 hrs in bed I began to itch everywhere, unable to sleep and it became whorse. We stayed in room309. so if you get this room. Please be aware this room is full of bed bugs, my son whom does speak a little spanish told the front desk recep. but she didn't care.
So the overall concern is DON'T STAY IN ROOM 309 IT IS FULL OF BED BUGS.
a CONCERNED AMERICAN GUESS. dshoran@hotmail.com

• Stayed: July 2009
1  Thank dshoran
Reviewed 20 January 2009

This is one of the cheapest hotels that had available rooms, but it has a number of problems. For one thing, the hotel is not clean. The washroom behind the front desk was filthy. There were dirty dishes on the stairs throughout the day on each day we were there. There is no housekeeping of rooms. The shower was dirty on our arrival. The hotel is poorly managed. The front staff is obliging enough, but the front desk is chaotic, and the staff has difficulty finding keys, paperwork, etc.

There were two decent pillows in our room and two horrible ones (filled with hard pieces of some unknown material). I asked the staff if we could have two different pillows and they appeared willing to help me but told me that they didn't have access to the key that would allow them to give us different pillows. We paid $85 for our room - not expensive but not cheap. This hotel could definitely take their level of service up a notch with a little effort.

Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed 2 September 2008

lost reservation... finally found it after going back and forth for about 10 minutes... got the impression that this place is anti anyone not Panamanian. Tiny room, no blankets, unfriendly front desk. Good security but not the best location. Have stayed at several other hotels in Panama City in the past and this is at the bottom of its' own list.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank amortotal
Reviewed 28 June 2008

As one review put it, "You get what your pay for" (Usually). I paid for wash cloaths, at least a trash can in the room, remote control for TV, decent pillows, shelves in bathroom to put shaving kit on, a decent chair to sit in (not a stool w/o a back), and a least a fair amount of english speaking employees. I did not get these. For 60.50 a night, I got a small room, small bathroom (not enough shelves or towel racks), twin bed, double bed, 2 night stands, desk / mirror, stool (only item to sit on besides beds), and a wardrobe. I traveled with myself, wife and teen daughter. needless to say, we were a bit crowded. This hotel charges .10 min for local calls (was too afraid to try long distance). They have a covered area ouside near the bar with a TV, tables and chairs (but they will not not you smoke under the roof). Positives are; location, internet access (using it now, while memory is fresh)bar and resturant on site, vehicle parking, friendly employees who do not speak much english, on site security (24 hours),
For $30-60 more a night, I guess I could have had all positives, but I figure that at the rate I paid, I should have what I considered "the basics" for a city that is bragging about it´s tourism industry. Overall this was only a "fair" experiance.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank BDUCKETT
Reviewed 12 March 2008

Arrived shortly after midnight and the 2 people working didn't speak any English, found out later only 1 employee speaks fair English. Was brought up to the room, nothing special, went to wash up no hot water in sink or shower and the toilet didn't work either. Got a second room which lasted 2 days until I came in one night to no a/c, the compressor froze up solid. Moved me to a 3rd room which was in the back, no street noise but was woken up at 6am every morning even on Saturday to the construction site next door. The food was ok, but I'd recomend eating somewhere else especially for breakfast, no free refills on tea/coffee. The bars ok to hang out and have a drink, beers now $1.50 for local and they're only open 'till 11pm.There are no free local calls from your room, I found that out the hard way, and also my room was never cleaned daily, I had to go and try and tell the girl at the desk to have someone clean my room. When checking out they tried charging me an extra $49.00, I paid in full upon arrival. after getting the girl to show me the print out, they were trying to charge me an extra $5.00 per night, save your receipts ! I would recomend paying a little extra and stay somewhere else. If you do stay there bring ear plugs or you will be awake will all the street noise.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank vtec350