“very pleasent stay and great value for the price”
Review of Andino Hotel

Andino Hotel
Ranked #108 of 114 Hotels in Panama City
Tel Aviv, Israel
“very pleasent stay and great value for the price”
Reviewed 1 February 2011

when you walk in the integrated lobby with the bar/lounge and restaurant is very nit clean, the reception dont speak english but there is someone at the office that do, the hotel is in general very clean, staff are very polite
and the price is really surprising low.
in general if you are looking for good value for your price and a clean quiet hotel then you will find hotel andino to give you just that.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank md1122

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed 21 November 2010

I travel to Panama City at least 2 times a year and I usually stay at the Andino. And I have no problems. The staff has always been friendly and helpful. The spacious rooms were always cleaned, beds made and bathrooms cleaned. The breakfast in the hotel restaurant is very good and inexpensive. Location: it's always easy to get around the city by taxi. I never felt threatened or in danger, of course you have to use common sense. The big store is close enough to walk to for supplies. Plenty of restaurants nearby. And generally the hotel is very quiet and peaceful. All and all Andino is an excellent value for the money.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank jchat539
Glarus, Switzerland
Reviewed 15 August 2010

The rooms are definitely run down but in opposite to what was said before, the main staff at the desk was extremly friendly and helpful.
Unfortunately it is not too safe - coming back from a short walk our son went first to our room while we stayed still outside the hotel and found the receptionist in our room! Quite strange and we never found out what he was doing there but anyway - this never should happen!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank nisc

Travellers are raving about these Panama City hotels

Winnipeg
Reviewed 20 January 2010

We do not recommend this hotel. Do not be fooled by the internet pictures - they must be 30 years old. The bar area is actually really nice (and empty) and completely out of place in this run down hotel. The hotel is not clean, not nice and in a sketchy area of town. The hotel staff could not be less helpful. They seemed annoyed everytime we talked to them and our 7 am wake up call came at 7:40.....We do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ramblintravella
Auckland
Reviewed 29 November 2009

What a strange place. True its not expensive, and the lobby looks Ok but what really lets it down is the surly staff and peculiar systems.
Interestingly given one of the other comments - only the night porter managed a smile and anything pleasant to say in the 4 days I stayed there. Given I speak both English and Spanish and tried both on all the reception staff, I can discount this as the problem, so I watched when I was in the lobby to see if they had just taken against me for some reason - but no - each time I went through someone else was getting the "frosty" treatment.
My biggest complaint was that they wanted you to pay in cash in advance - but only one day in advance which meant you had to go through the performance every day - and also they would automatically lock you out of your room at 2pm each day until you went down and the reactivated your card. The second day I didnt understand and was later than 2pm returning and with my spare the money in the safe in my room I had to grovel to be let in. Next day I paid early as I was heading out for the day. Still locked out when I reutrned, and met a women witha very small screaming baby who had gone to her room and then had to return down in the lift to get her card to work. If they know this why don't they at least catch you as they buzz you in and sort your keycard.
Next problem breakfast - do you serve breakfast I ask (en Espanol) after a pause of about a minute and some looking around she answers "No" - by which I take to mean that it is not included in my room rate - OK - but actually they do serve breakfast. However it takes me until about day 3 to realise that the restaurant doesn't open until after 9 or 9.30am???? "Que pasa" as they say, (whats going on?)
The restaurant is also open in the evening but there are no menus or information anywhere in the hotel or on the restaurant entrance with the hours and by this stage I was avoiding interaction with reception unless absolutely necessary.
The oddness extended to the housekeeping staff. The day I arrived was only mid morning and I had been up overnight travelling so went to sleep. Twice the housekeepers tried to come in but I had the chain on the door and by the time I got to the door they had disappeared completely- nice! and once they rung me and hung up? Thanks!
My list of woes goes on and on - only inertia meant I stayed for 4 days.
If you are thinking of staying here my advice is -surely you can do better than this!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank GoGlam
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 15 February 2009

We stayed here for a couple nights this week and were quite satisfied with the hotel for the price paid. Our trip to Panama City was last minute and it was really frustrating looking for a room at a decent price for budget travelers on the internet booking engines. Conversing with the hotel via e-mail was prompt. We weren't able to get a confirmation before we left since we were making our travel plans at the very last minute, so we just showed up. The room rate quoted at check-in was a little less than what we expected from the e-mail quote, but I think it was because the inexpensive American breakfast was included in the quote we received via e-mail.

Let me start out by saying that the hotel is not incredibly modern. It is generally clean, but there may be some dust in a corner or two. The sheets were clean and the mattress was brand new. Mine was actually still wrapped in plastic and we saw workmen constantly carrying old mattresses out of the hotel on one of the days of our stay. It seems like the property is being upgraded and it has the potential to be a lot better place. Depending on a person's taste, someone may consider the hotel a "dump" but I thought it was ok.

The hotel is about to open up a large nightclub on the ground floor, complete with a number of flat-screen TVs and a huge bed out in the open next to the bar. I'm not sure what the bed is for, but it was explained that it is a current trend in nightclubs. Once the club is open, I could see noise being an issue on the 100-level rooms.

The room had a TV with quite a few channels, including a few that showed good movies in English with Spanish subtitles. Unfortunately there was no remote for the TV.

The bathroom was a decent size with a good towel rack and shelving for your toiletries. Two tiny bars of soap are provided in a double room but no shampoo. I suggest bringing soap and shampoo or buying some locally upon arrival. The shower was a good size and had good hot water and pressure.

The location of the hotel isn't the greatest. We were cautioned about going out too far or in the wrong direction at night (we did anyway). In the daytime, there is an armed guard to look after the cars parked around the front of the hotel that belong to the people working in the nearby offices. We didn't see anything or feel threatened while we were there, day or night, although we took normal precautions anyone would take while going out in any big unfamiliar city. Taxis are so cheap and plentiful, even though we were often stuck with the Gringo price. When in doubt, be safe and take a taxi.

There's lots to do in Panama City that is only a $3-$6 cab ride away from the Andino. If it's your first time in Panama, I suggest going to the Albrook Mall on one of the first days of your visit for a daytime activity and then going to one of the downtown casinos for the nighttime and go from there.

• Liked — Value and location.
  • Disliked — Somewhat of a sketch neighborhood.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank da20mike
California
Reviewed 17 January 2009

We flew into Tocumen but had an early morning connection the next day at Albrook to another part of Panama. So we were only in the hotel for 8 hours. If you've got an early morning flight from Albrook Airport the next morning, need a hot shower with GREAT pressure, and a clean room stay here.

But, if you are actually staying in Panama City - which we did later on in our trip - follow our advice and do what we did and stay in El Cangrejo.

This hotel is excellent, but only as a quick stopover.

• Liked — Location to Albrook Airport for an early morning flight
  • Disliked — Hard mattress
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple