“Not worth it unless you like cold water and poor service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Milan

Hotel Milan
Ranked #55 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Not worth it unless you like cold water and poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

Let me preface this review by saying that my spouse and I stay at hotels weekly, so we have lots of 'experience' and I typically only take time to write reviews for the ones that were really great or really disappointing. This is the third time we have stayed at the Hotel Milan. It was originally recommended by our attorney. Recently all of her clients like ourselves who have stayed here in the past, have decided to stay at other hotels. We stayed this time for three nights and we will never go there again. The Milan seems to be under new managment and they have a TERRIBLE customer service attitude as well as a lack of what we consider basic needs. When we arrived at the hotel this time at 10 pm, we were told that there was no water at the hotel - at all - none for flushing toilets, using the sink, etc. nothing. It turned out that 80% of Panama City had no water for two days due to construction that impacted the water system. (We have since learned this is not uncommon due to PC expansion construction). We understood that was a problem the hotel could do nothing about so it was a surprise but not a big issue. We met up that night with a friend who had been staying at the hotel for a few days who said he had to change his room from the 3rd floor because they had no hot water on that floor at all. The next morning, the water was back on in the hotel but the water in our room ran only cold. I know it is typical to let the water run from the 'hot' tap in the sink and the shower for about 5 minutes before it gets hot, but ours was still cold. (We were on the 7th floor). After traveling for 16 hours the day before, we still couldn't shower. We went down to breakfast unwashed and asked when the water might be hot. We were told by the receptionist and bellmantogether, probably later in the day. When we returned from business in the late afternoon, still no hot water. When I called down to ask about it, I was informed INDIFFERENTLY that there was no hot water on our entire floor. (I might expect that in a youth hostel but if I'm paying $75 in the city, I would like to be able to shower & wash my hair which I cannot do standing for 5 minutes under cold water.) I requested that we would like to move to another room, which is physically difficult for us since my husband and I are both disabled and we had unpacked completely. The reception staff definitely did not care. They had no apology and we packed up everything and moved it to the 6th floor where I finally was able to take a shower. As we were moving, the bellman who they sent up who was very rude and was hurrying us because he said they were going to rent the room to someone else. I was surprised and asked at the front desk why they would rent the room when they knew it had hot water. The receptionist shrugged and said that lots of people are happy with cold water. (Of course, she doesn't tell the guests when they check in that they won't have it!) The worst part about it to us was that they lied to us. The staff knew there was no hot water on the entire floor we were on but told us maybe it would be Ok later when they knew it was not! In addition to that, the remote control in our room did not work, the toilet ran constantly and loudly and I kept having to take the lid off of the tank and try to stop it or just shut the water off to it completely and the room they moved us to smelled like mold, especially with the fan or a/c running which is essential in the heat and humidity of Panama City. One poor woman was always in our hallway working on the internet because it didn't work in her room on another floor. One morning when I got into the elevator to meet others in the lobby, the elevator stopped working. I was stuck with no way to call anyone in a tiny hot elevator (the a/c in it went off)! I pushed the buttons until finally one opened the The staff at this hotel is minimal; one receptionist and one bellman on staff usually, neither of whom speak English. This is OK for me because I speak Spanish but it seems strange for a 'business' and tourist hotel in Cangrejo which is a nice and convenient neighborhood. I emailed the management during our stay about the problems with two entire floors not having hot water at all (we had several other friends staying at the hotel impacted by the same issue) and about how rude the staff was to us acting as if we should not expect to have it. We never got a response. My spouse and I have both been in executive management positions and we can attest that if every member of the staff of an establishment (of any kind) feels comfortable in being so rude, flippant and disrespectful, that's because they know there is no consequence to them for doing it - so it comes from the top down. It is too bad because for Panama, the prices at the Milan are on the lower end and the rooms are spacious but there are no amenities (hairdryer, iron, fridge, micro, breakfast), etc. It is odd that the Milan is spending money to build a new addition but nothing on the most basic infrastructure in the existing hotel. Before we left, we looked at the hotel just a block away that all of our attorney's clients stay at now instead of the Milan (the Tropicana) and it is luxurious compared to the Milan for not much more money. We will stay there next time.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SonoranLuxury

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Panama City, Panama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

I spent a couple of weeks here in May 2012. Very good value for the price. Conveniently placed near Via Espana. Wifi.

As mentioned, the water was barely warm.

The restaurant was good for breakfast and fine for other meals.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank beardocubauk
Antigua, Guatemala
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

I stayed here for a few nights in August 2012 and cannot imagine finding a better place for the money in this location. My room was a little spartan but was clean and very spacious. The staff were very friendly and breakfast was perfectly acceptable although service was painfully slow so leave plenty of time for breakfast. The hotel is located close to restaurants, close to businesses/offices and a short cheap taxi ride to the malls if anyone needs to go shopping.
I was pleasantly surprised and will definitely use it again.

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

I stayed here for 4 days in August on vacation.
When I first pulled up to the hotel in the taxi it looked very impressive.
The room was clean and very spacious. TVs were small but they said they were soon replacing them all.
The location is central making numerous attractions fairly accessible by walking or taxi.
The staff will not get a prize for their English. Luckily had a few Spanish words in my pocket that helped out.
One inconvenience was making a reservation. You had to send an email and wait for them to confirm availability and price.
You have to be careful with the hotel taxi drivers. One took me accross town for a bargain (fair price there) and another seemed to significantly overcharge everywhere he took me.
The restaurant is very plain looking but it had fantastic food for very good value.
The first day I arrived very late, i.e 6am and was disappointed that I was not able to negotiate a lower rate considering I would only have 5 hours use of the room. They were not too sympathetic.
For the price and location I would stay here again in a flash.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MikeGibbons5
Christiansted, St. Croix
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

BAD: No 'peephole' in the door, no security lock or chain, no window! except in the back near the bathroom facing another building-very very dark. No facecloths or hand towels in the bathroom. No hot water--the desk told us to 'let it run for ten minutes'. They were right: after about 10 minutes of wasting gallons and gallons of water it did get hotter. No reading lamps by the beds.
GOOD: The most comfortable bed we stayed in during our trip-the mattress has a 2" foam pad on it which made it very comfortable.
Close to cheesy 'Times Square' type shops and ok restaurants. Good enough for a few hours sleep before catching a plane but we would definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank vivi6062
sanfernando trinidad
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

On our way to cancun Mexico with my wife
We had to connect from panama.. (2009)
Our waiting time was 15 hours so We decided
To stay over.. It was the best decision!
30mis from the airport this hotel was very convenient
As for the price it was well worth it.
Nice clean room clean shower an a very reasonable
Priced restaurant. I'm sorry we didn't stay a couple of nights
Since it was nicely situated with close by shopping..
I would certainly stay here if I'm connecting in the future.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jeromie r
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

Well located, good staff, very flexible (we changed dates 2 times, we checked out late, no problem for them), rooms are very clean, beds are comfy, wifi works great, cable tv is great

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple