“Bed bugs and the worst hotel manager”
Review of Hotel Milan

Hotel Milan
Ranked #60 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 27 September 2010

The hotel seems very clean and has a good location. However, on my 2nd night I started noticing bites all over my arms. I politely asked the hotel manager if I could switch rooms and explained the situation. Not only did he decline my request but he also accused me of bringing in this infestation. I had never been treated so rudely in my life... I obviously exploded in rage and after a huge argument he decided to change rooms the next day because there wasn't any at that moment... I had to sleep on the floor of my room because the bugs got all of my arms. Perhaps I had bad luck in getting that room with that mattres... when they changed me the new room was perfect... but I have never been treated so unfairly in my life as a business traveler. I would never go back to that hotel... even if they offer free stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank surge527

Reviewed 11 September 2010

We read the many reviews of this place and found it to be as described: impeccably clean, excellent location, free wifi, and a real bargain if paid for with cash (~ $57). A couple tips if you plan to stay here: (1) ask for a room that is not facing the building that is being constructed adjacent to the hotel. Our window faced into the construction site and it was pretty loud in the morning. (2) If you need to catch a cab, hail one yourself on the street. There is a cabbie who often hangs out in the restaurant and the receptionist may offer you his services, but he quoted us a price more than twice the market rate. If they call a cab it will also cost more than hailing one on the street. You might have to flag down a few cabs before you find one that will give you an fair price quote, but it shouldn't take more than 5 mins. (3) the hotel staff didn't seem to have much to offer in terms of help with visiting the city. So be sure to do your research ahead of time.

Overall, great no-frills place.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 8 September 2010

Don't stay here if you enjoy your sleep!!!
They are currently building a hotel right next door and the loud banging and drilling begins at 7am! Even earplugs did nothing!
Staff are rude and unhelpful at front desk.
The price is not to bad- $55 a night, the rooms are nice and clean- though the AC is very loud! The are is ok, felt safe at night!
There are a few places to eat around but a little pricey!
I would not stay here until the building work is finished!

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed 9 June 2010

We stayed for a night at this hotel. After having read all the reviews about the owners being homophobic, my wife and I were on the fence about going ahead with staying at this place. We didn't face any problems. The hotel and the rooms were clean. The location was excellent. We felt safe walking around for dinner. Basic hotel, and for the price, good value for money in Panama city.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank blah10
Reviewed 3 June 2010

This hotel was so clean, affordable and perfect location. Across the street is a travel agency to help you if you need. (ask for Jimmy (507) 264 - 4436) The restaurant attached to the hotel is really good. We only ate breakfast there, but it was wonderful. I have traveled to over 20 countries and this is one of my favorite places. Can't go wrong!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mapb0714
Reviewed 28 May 2010

This hotel defines a couple as a man and a woman in their official hotel policy--how 1950's--and when I asked them if they were a homophobic hotel because of this policy, they responded by stating:

"In 2010, everybody is entitled to have its own opinion on couples."

To which my response was "An opinion is different than an official policy discriminating against people because of their sexuality"

If you are gay or anyone you know is gay (likely 100% of you out there) then think twice about giving these people your money. There are a lot of choices in Panama City--which btw, is a friendly open minded place.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
8  Thank chelsealondon
Reviewed 27 April 2010

My wife and I stayed in the Hotel Milan April 8, 9, &10, 2010. The room was spotless, the hotel staff was polite, and helpful. The area of town was safe, and easy to find for the taxi drivers. We paid $57 per night cash, in U.S. dollars.
One other item, I would not recommend renting a car. The rules of the road are: find and empty spot, fill the empty spot with your car, and then begin blowing your horn.
We did find a taxi drive who spoke enough English to get us around, and his rates were reasonable. His name, Gaspar Montilla, and his cell number (507) 6681-3643. We used his services every day all 3 days, and found him honest and dependable.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple