“Special dinner”

Donde Jose
Ranked #7 of 1,270 Restaurants in Panama City
Price range: US$57 - US$73
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Our mission at Donde Jose is to tell the story of Panama through our cuisine. We use endemic ingredients, cook with age-old techniques, innovate where value can be added, and work every day to contribute to Panama's culinary identity.
Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

I was told to try to sit at the chef’s table and because I was solo, I was easily accommodated. Jose comes out during the 2nd course and introduces himself and the next few courses. Nice but not that special. The tasting menu was hit and miss with nothing spectacular. I cannot agree with the high rating based on my visit. The food was good but nothing on the menu that nite was great!

Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

I’m a corporate pilot that travels the world and have been to over 60 countries and this restaurant is truly in my top 5 in the world. Chef Jose has created an experience so unique that you’re going to tell everyone about. From the taste to the stories and as u can see in the mirror he truly is creating the dishes as you eat one by one. Hands down this is an amazing culinary experience.

Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

After reading all good reviews we were so excited to visit these restaurant. I was with my boyfriend and we are both food addicted. First thing we didn’t like they have fixed price 79$ and u need to pay before 20$ for each person for reservation by card. Okay, we paid. Then when you come at the restaurant nobody tells you what kind of food they are going to introduce you so you can’t decide white or red wine to order. My advise is not to order wine at all because with their food it’s bad match, better to order cocktails. So chief will introduce you 11 dishes with local ingredients and it’s own history. Only three dishes was tasty : scallops with cashew sauce was really delicious,organic chicken and dumpling. Some positions was disgusting, especially deserts. Even don’t want to describe those terrible taste of coffee with cheese and croutons. So don’t spend 79$ in Donde Jose, there is much better and quality food in Panama.

Reviewed 29 September 2018

We enjoyed our experience at Donde Jose and would recommend it with one hesitation:
the dining was rushed, the servers spoke too quickly and bombarded us with too much information that couldn't be absorbed in such a short time. I think chef Jose should dial back the "stories" and theatre surrounding each dish and let the quality of the ingredient and preparation speak for themselves. Most of the dishes were outstanding (only a few minor misses) but the harried and rushed servers dampened the overall experience.

We enjoyed the chef's talent enough, though, that we would have liked to try his other more casual restaurant but it was closed the day we had available.

Reviewed 21 September 2018

After reading several glowing reviews, you wonder if they're genuine and as good as they say. Donde Jose is truly as good as the reviews say. A truly unique experience, with great food and attention to detail told in a unique way.