“Dinner”

Caliope
Ranked #5 of 1,186 Restaurants in Panama City
Price range: US$40 - US$50
Cuisines: International
Description: An adventure in gastronomy awaits you at "Caliope," Casco Viejo's first Farm-to-Table dining experience. Panama's newest and most creative culinary experience delivers international fusion that sources fresh and delicious local ingredients. Chef, Martino TK - trained in Italy'sTK - has teamed up with Chef Pierre De Janon of Tantalo Kitchen to provide a unique, gastronomic adventure. (Caliope also features a New York-style artisanal cocktail menu, and an eclectic wine list.) Be among the first to experience Caliope, destined to be the finest dining experience all of Central America. Caliope accepts reservations and holds a limited number of tables for walk-ins.

Had a great experience!
They handled food allergies well, spoke good English and the food was superb.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We went in a group, the place is in the old quarters of Panama (Casco Viejo). They call themselves "fusion" food. Valet parking is available since parking it's almost impossible in this area of restaurants and discos. They request reservation, although the restaurant was not full at any moment. Decor is a mix, so despise of what greek philosophers (and Caliope) might have said, I'll say is "eclectic". Chairs are "industrial" I'd suggest something a little more comfortable. Ambience is cool. Drinks are expensive. Wine is overpriced. Appetizer were not well received by the group, too much sauce. Entrees were pricey, but good. My octopus was very good, angus hamburguer and underbelly were well appraised too. Our encounter with Caliope ended with desserts everyone enjoyed.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I am a vegetarian and it’s hard to find anything interesting to eat in Panama. But looking at the menu for this restaurant, I noticed that all the dishes with fish or meat had really interesting accompaniments and hoped I would be able to have some of those for my main course, instead of the gnocchi or salad that is on the menu.

There was only one starter dish to choose for me, as there was only a salad that was vegetarian to start, it was $12, the most expensive starter on the menu. It sounded interesting. The menu describes it as a Salad with baby spinach, microgreens, arugula, dried tomato, mushrooms, peanuts, and goat cheese
However, it was a lot of lettuce ( lettuce heart or baby gem cut in half) with what seemed like some sprinklings of beetroot and some other bits and some goat’s cheese. It was a complete rip off considering you could have had tuna or ribs or some other meat or seafood for the same price or less. I didn't notice any peanuts or mushrooms etc in the salad, so not a good start for me. This shouldn’t cost more than $7, but I only had the choice of this or nothing.

For my main course they offered me a risotto that went with a fish dish. It was a lemon risotto or I could have had a truffle risotto. I managed to sample both of these as my children had the truffle risotto but found it much too rich for them, so gave it to me. It tasted like mushroom risotto and was very nice, much nicer than the lemon risotto, which after a few mouthfuls, I found the lemon completely overpowering the rice and anything else that was in the dish.

My kids shared the short ribs at $35. They love ribs but didn’t really like these, I have no idea why. Maybe the sauce was too rich for them.

It was meant to be a special meal for my wife’s birthday, which I had informed the restaurant about at the time of the booking.

I forgot to mention this when we arrived and this went completely un-noticed, which I find strange as most other restaurants we have been to for a birthday meal do something for the birthday person. But this is Panama, so maybe I should have reminded them about this.

Anyway, with one bottle of $35 wine, this meal was very expensive for what it was, at over $50 per head, with 2 children sharing a main course. We all felt a bit let down after the meal as we had such high hopes for this place after reading the reviews.

However, by Panamanian standards, this is a very good restaurant with very good service. I’m not sure what role he had, if he was the manager or what, but there was a guy who wasn’t a waiter and he saw that we were all cold at the table we were sat at, as the air con was above us, so he asked if we would like to move. The restaurant was empty; apart from one other couple so was easy to accommodate this. Then when we wanted to order some wine, he suggested a very nice bottle, which was actually the best thing about our meal.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed dinner at Caliope. The food was superb, one of our top dinners while in Panama. We enjoyed the decoration and ambiance of the restaurant. The staff was very friendly. We have nothing negative to say. We would go back.

Side note, google maps provided us with the wrong location. If you are not familiar with the area confirm the address/location.

Dayanasutilm, Public Relations Manager at Caliope, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Kevin,

It was a pleasure having you with us.
Thank you very much for your review and for sharing your experience; Apologies for the issue with Google Map (now it is fixed).

We truly hope you visit us again in your next stop in Panama City.
Best regards.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Our evening started out rough with Uber taking us out of Casco Viejo to the wrong place (be careful about relying on online maps!) but once we got to Caliope, all was excellent.

Once in the right vicinity, somehow the door-guy could tell we were looking for Caliope and directed us the right way. The restaurant itself is beautiful with chandeliers and gorgeous artwork of a beautiful woman on the wall. Service was fantastic and attentive. The food was excellent, as well, with extra compliments for the prawns appetizer and octopus main course. The mushroom soup amuse-bouche was also heavenly. It was just lovely, and a perfect first dinner in Panama. Thank you!

Dear Satia79,

We are so delighted to know you enojyed your evening at Caliope.
We used to have an issue with our location in Google Maps, but now it's all settled; Apologies for that inconvenience.

Surely, I will forward your review to the Caliope team and I am pretty sure they will be flattered reading your kind words.

Looking forward to have you soon with us again.

Warm regards.