“Beware of tip ripoff of more than 30%!”
Review of Bennigan's

Bennigan's
Ranked #835 of 1,041 Restaurants in Panama City
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We just had a very good meal at this great dockside location but the experience was spoiled by the bill experience with the tip. We feel taken advantage of unfairly and will not return to this otherwise good restaurant that we have enjoyed previously. When the waitress brought the bill she said that the tip was included as is often the case in Panama. When the tip is included it is typically 10% of the total bill including tax in our experience which is fine. Often we leave more as cash on the table if the service was good so the server gets the money directly. This evening when the bill was presented it was so faint as to be unreadable in the dark restaurant but 2 numbers were written at the bottom in pen. I gave the waitress my credit card and she returned with the card made out to the highest bottom number and space left for an additional tip! I foolishly signed it without insisting on reading the bill. The waitress promptly disappeared but I went up to the well lit server station and was able to read the bill: the waitress had given herself a massive tip without my realizing it. The bill was $34.94 including $2.29 sales tax and the waitress had charged my credit card $43.00, a tip of $8.06 which is a 31.7% tip on the before tax amount of $32.65! I then realized that she had also left the additional tip space blank and the credit card receipt is not totalled. Foolish me for trusting this restaurant with my credit card. Be more careful than I was in this dark restaurant!

There are newer reviews for Bennigan's

Reviewed 3 January 2013

This used to be a great place a year or two ago, but service has declined a lot and food is not outstanding. It is a convenient place to go if you're already in the area, but be prepared to wait for a very long time just for someone to give you a menu, not to mention take the order and get the food. Not recommended for hungry people with little patience. Only good thing is the view of all the yachts in the marina next to the restaurant.

Reviewed 29 December 2012

This restaurant offers good food (american style) and service, howerver be ready to wait when busy. In general average food.

Reviewed 8 January 2012

Food is regular and price is high. The ambient is nice. Attention is good.

Reviewed 22 December 2011

poor service, all american food is ok. Takes a lot to get service.