“Very good...but!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Panama City
Los Cuatro Tulipanes
Ranked #5 of 84 Panama City B&B and Inns
Miami, Florida
“Very good...but!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2009

The good:
from the outside the structure of the place is very discreet but once you are inside the place it becomes charming/comfortable/and peaceful. Very convenient and spacious. No details are left unattended...well, almost.
We (4 adults) booked the Tribe 1 apartment for 2 nights.
The location is superb, located right next to the office building that serves the Presidential Palace which is only 1 block away. That means 24/7 top notch security around the area. This is, by far, the best area of the historical Casco Viejo. Restaurants / Bars / Plazas/ Friendly neighbors/ are always easy to reach.
The bad:
the air condition at the common areas (living and dinning/kitchen room) was broken but the bedrooms ac units were powerful enough to cool the whole place. There is a very odd "wall" (yes: wall) that one has to climb to enter in to the shower...it is hard to explain or to find a logical explanation for such an obstacle. The water heater never worked despite following all the indications posted around.
The manager, Kennan lacks basic knowledge about Panama other than Casco Viejo...We noticed such ignorance when we told him we were going to Azuero for a few days after our stay in Panama City. His reaction was almost like: Azuero? What is there?....we felt very sorry for him, but then we forgave because he is not a national therefore he can't know Panama's geography... just a foreigner trying to make a buck in Panama City.

The ugly:
If your check in is on working hours...hire a taxi cab. Traffic is madness (not only in the whole city but it becomes insane in this area of Panama because its narrow cobblestone covered streets) Parking are impossible to find.
It reminded me driving around old Granada in Spain for 2 hours before I could find a parking garage...
After 6 p.m., when offices close and workers go home to the modern city it becomes easier to park your car.
Transferring between Modern Panama and Casco Viejo is not a pretty sight, there are a few blocks where you better be very carefully not to make the wrong turn.
Luckily it is only 4 or 5 blocks.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2009

My recent trip to Panama was one of the best travel experiences I have ever had. We were so fortunate that our friend had found Los Cuatro Tulipanes.
The apartment we rented in Casa Mendez was beautiful with its ceramic tiles and loft layout and it was impeccably clean. It is located in a great part of Panama City, Casco Viejo, which is one of the most beautifully quaint districts I have ever seen. My two girlfriends and I felt completely safe and at ease during our entire stay.
But what was most impressive was the service and the unending hospitality of the owners and staff. For example:
1. My flight was delayed and I arrived at 2am instead of 9pm. The staff was waiting at the airport (to my relief) and at 2 in the morning, I was relieved to be escorted by two lovely women who gave me a great introductory tour during our ride into the city, even tho they must have been exhausted! I was then met by one of the owners at 230 am, where he made sure that I had everything I needed before he went to bed.
2. We were also given the best recommendations for dinner and drinks the next night, details down to what the best dishes at each restaurant were.
3. The owners were sweet enough to take us out for drinks and dancing to celebrate (I was there for my bachelorette party!). They introduced us to their friends- very sweet and genuine ppl - and we all had an awesome night!
Finding this place is definitely what made the trip so memorable!
Big thanks and hugs to Mateo, who was always a thoughtful and gentlemanly host!
And now, I am seriously considering changing my honeymoon plans to revisit Panama and Los Cuartro Tulipanes!

WDC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2009

Staying at one of Los Cuatro Tulipanes' (LCT) apartments was the highlight of my recent trip to Panama.
The Apt
We stayed in Casa Mendez, which was very charming, clean and spacious. We loved the floor to ceiling windows/doors, which let in the perfect amount of sunlight during the day!! We also loved the blue and white tiles and the exposed stonewall. Even though there was construction next door, we were not bothered by it b/c we were so content with the apt. LCT offers 18 different apts, so you have plenty of amazing apts to choose from!
The People
The owners of LCT are awesome! Before getting to Panama, they were very responsive and accommodating to all our questions and requests. Once we arrived, they went out of their way to make sure that all of us were enjoying our time in Panama. The owners are well connected and highly respected in Panama City. On our last night in Panama City, we stayed in one of the higher end hotels in Panama City (if we hadn't already paid for the hotel before arriving in Panama, we would've stayed at one of LCT's apts!). Due to the higher end hotel's inability to offer recommendations for restaurants, sites, etc, we contacted the LCT owners who happily and instantly were able to provide us with several outstanding options. We also absentmindedly left some personal items in the apt, which the owners personally dropped off for us at the hotel.
The Location
Casco Viejo is my favorite part of Panama City. It is the most quaint area, offering architecturally unique buildings, cobblestoned streets, plazas surrounded by outdoor restaurant/cafe seating, and an authentic Panamanian aura (esp compared to the more developed areas in Panama City flooded by high-rise buildings). All of LCT's apts are centrally located in Casco Viejo, so you cannot go wrong!
If you visit Panama City, stay at Los Cuatro Tulipanes!!

San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

After staying one night in Panama City at a large hotel with smoky, overpriced rooms and shady crowds, we discovered Casco Viejo. It was my sister's Birthday and we were having wine at a jazz bar there when we decided to explore the possibility of finding a hotel in the old city for the following evening. It was almost 2AM and we're wandering the streets, asking (in spanish and english) everyone we encountered where we could find a hotel l. No one was able to help us and we began facing the fact that we would have to return to our smoky dungeon in the downtown area. Suddenly, a nice gentleman said "you guys look confused". The voice was a miracle out of no where, speaking to our current uneasy emotions. We continued to ask about the “supposed” hotel accommodations in the area, when the man (Matt) said “I own a hotel, right over here”. Across the street, there it was, Los Cuatros Tulipanes! Even at the late hour (or early hour I should say), he invited us into his office to look at the apartment he had available. We were immediately sold and regretted ever stepping foot in the downtown hotel. The furnishings were lovely and the apartment had every amenity you could think of. And to top it all off, we had a view of the water from our adorable balcony, which also overlooked the entry gate to the President’s house…. Charming in every sense!

The excellent service continued…The next morning, Matt assisted with getting us from the dungeon to our new oasis. We were escorted to the apartment and shown how to work all of the fantastic appliances and even given the inside-scoop on the local eateries, bars and local secrets - such as the old woman downstairs who makes lunch in her home for the government employees daily! Matt even made arrangements for us to feast at her house the next day – A home cooked meal for $2.50! Our trip even ended with Matt making us arrangements to get to the airport and made sure all was set with his preferred car service. It was 5-star service and we truly felt at home… Can’t wait to go back and try out one of the other apartments!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

I stayed a couple of nights in Casco Vieja at thestart of my trip to Panama. I was so happy I had chosen to stay there because it is definitely the most beautiful area in Panama City, with a really local, Latino vibe and beautiful building. In the evenings you can hear the salsa and Latin music pulsating from peoples homes and the bars, which drives you out onto the streets to discover the area.

But don't worry the music doesnt keep you up all night, it gets quiet pretty early in Casco Vieja - so you will have no troubles sleeping!

I discovered Los Cuatro Tulipanes, as it was recommended by Conde Nast Traveller. I stayed in Palacio No. 1A, which is a fully furnished one-bedroom apartment located on the ground floor of Casa Palacio.

The apartment is perfectly situated at the entrance of the Paseo de las Bovedas, right at the tip of Casco Vieja, across from the former Union Club and close to some great bars and restaurants.

Palacio 1A is a split level apartment, with an open plan kitchen, dining area, living room and upstairs is a bedroom and bathroom. It is nicely decorated in bold oranges and greens, with some Asian influences, though it could do with a bit of renovation work doing to it, so that it again looks as nice as it does on the website. It does look a bit shabbier than the website, but its still nice.

The bed was huge and very comfortable. There was air conditioning in the apartment. The kitchen was well equipped for those who wish to use it. The big seating area was a great place to relax.

I have to say that the bathroom was not really clean when I arrived and the place was pretty dusty, that may be because it hadnt been occupied for a while - or just that the place gathers dust from traffic quickly. I am sure if I had told Keenan and Matt though, they would have fixed that really quickly.

I would definitely go back and stay in one of their apartments in Casco Vieja again, its a much nicer experience than staying in a huge monstrosity in the downtown area. Getting around town in cabs is cheap and easy too, so you don't feel you are out of the way there.

Definitely also get an ice cream from Granclement and a sandwich from Super Gourmet while you are there!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2009

I spent 1 month with Los Cuatro Tulipanes. We were in their building known as "Casa Mendez." The location is unbeatable because the apartment house is in the heart of the best part of Casco Viejo (old colonial section of Panama City). We were surrounded by boutique restaurants, shops and plazas. The apartment was clean and tastefully furnished and stocked.

Keenan and Matt are the managers at Los Cuatro Tulipanes and they did an excellent job of receiving us and looking after us during our stay. Keenan and Matt were always a phone call away and on more than one occasion, arrived quickly to address our needs. Maid service was good. All employees were friendly and professional. I heartily recommend Los Cuatro Tulipanes. I will be a return guest.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2009

Tribe 1 is Awesome! Beautifully decorated, clean and located right next to Plaza Bolivar with an ocean view from the balcony. The unit included full kitchen amenities and a washer and dryer. The Staff was extremely accommodating - Very nice people! They even include a booklet in the room that gives recommendations on where to eat in the area. We hope to return to Panama soon and when we do, we'll be sure to stay here again.

Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends