“Perfect choice for us”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Panama City
Los Cuatro Tulipanes
Ranked #5 of 79 Panama City B&B and Inns
USA
“Perfect choice for us”
Reviewed 1 January 2010

I would definitely return to LCT because I think Casco Viejo is the best place to stay in Panama City and LCT offers a place that is both charming and the best place for the price in Casco Viejo.

My family (w/ 2 young children) stayed in Art Deco 1B for 3 nights. It is one of the less expensive options that LCT has. The apartment was spacious, fairly well-appointed and comfortable. Keenan, who manages LCT, was good. He loaned us a computer so we could check e-mail. He was easy to get a hold of, went out of his way to help us get cell phones, and I always felt he'd do whatever he could to make our stay a good one.

Casco Viejo was just great. Despite the reports of danger, the area that LCT apartments are in have security all over the place because they're near the Presidential Palace. You're also near the water and great restaurants. It's beautiful and rich in history. It is exciting to be in a place undergoing such restorative change. About 1/2 of the buildings are gutted and being restored. About 25% are already restored (and beatifully), and 25% are occupied and somewhat run down. The kids loved Casco Viejo and we all felt comfortable walking around at all hours.

LCT wasn't 100% perfect -- It's true that Keenan isn't a native Panamanian and I didn't feel he was someone who knows everything about Panama or even Panama City. I couldn't figure out how to work the stove. Not enough drawer space. Still, these things were relatively insignificant, especially because we had a Panamanian tour guide.

If I didn't need/want the extra bedroom and had the budget, I'd probably go to Canal House, the other boutique hotel in the Casco. However, given my needs, LCT was just perfect for us and I would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 September 2009

We opted for Los Cuatro Tulipanes (LCT) as an interesting lodging option in the Casco Antiguo section of Panama City. The selected accommodations in Casa Remon featured two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a common living/dining/kitchen area. Casa Remon was secured at the street and apartment level maximizing security

The apartment is spacious and well equipped. The kitchen area includes a stove and refrigerator (including soft drinks and local beer) along with a full set of utensils and dinnerware. The rooms are well furnished and appointed with vintage, high quality materials such as hard woods, original brick and marble flooring. Perhaps the best feature was the balcony overlooking the plaza across the street.

The aparthotel mixes luxurious accommodations and gritty surroundings. As a recently named UNESCO world heritage site, the neighborhood surrounding LCT pairs destitute local and upscale apartments, often within the same structure. The location creates the ideal atmosphere for immersing ones self in Panamanian Culture.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
San Diego
Reviewed 31 August 2009

We were staying at The Veneto and were entirely unsatisfied there. During dinner in Casco Viejo, we met someone from Tulipanes who was more accommodating than can be expressed. He showed us the available rooms, made us a reservation for the next night, and drove us back into the city when we couldn't find a cab from Casco late in the evening. Our room at Tulipanes was GORGEOUS, with a beautiful view, and in an awesome part of Casco. The Tulipanes staff treated us like best friends they hadn't seen in years. I can't wait to go back (because I'll definitely go back to Panama) and stay at Tulipanes again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 25 August 2009

The good:
from the outside the structure of the place is very discreet but once you are inside the place it becomes charming/comfortable/and peaceful. Very convenient and spacious. No details are left unattended...well, almost.
We (4 adults) booked the Tribe 1 apartment for 2 nights.
The location is superb, located right next to the office building that serves the Presidential Palace which is only 1 block away. That means 24/7 top notch security around the area. This is, by far, the best area of the historical Casco Viejo. Restaurants / Bars / Plazas/ Friendly neighbors/ are always easy to reach.
The bad:
the air condition at the common areas (living and dinning/kitchen room) was broken but the bedrooms ac units were powerful enough to cool the whole place. There is a very odd "wall" (yes: wall) that one has to climb to enter in to the shower...it is hard to explain or to find a logical explanation for such an obstacle. The water heater never worked despite following all the indications posted around.
The manager, Kennan lacks basic knowledge about Panama other than Casco Viejo...We noticed such ignorance when we told him we were going to Azuero for a few days after our stay in Panama City. His reaction was almost like: Azuero? What is there?....we felt very sorry for him, but then we forgave because he is not a national therefore he can't know Panama's geography... just a foreigner trying to make a buck in Panama City.

The ugly:
If your check in is on working hours...hire a taxi cab. Traffic is madness (not only in the whole city but it becomes insane in this area of Panama because its narrow cobblestone covered streets) Parking are impossible to find.
It reminded me driving around old Granada in Spain for 2 hours before I could find a parking garage...
After 6 p.m., when offices close and workers go home to the modern city it becomes easier to park your car.
Transferring between Modern Panama and Casco Viejo is not a pretty sight, there are a few blocks where you better be very carefully not to make the wrong turn.
Luckily it is only 4 or 5 blocks.

NYC
Reviewed 21 August 2009

My recent trip to Panama was one of the best travel experiences I have ever had. We were so fortunate that our friend had found Los Cuatro Tulipanes.
The apartment we rented in Casa Mendez was beautiful with its ceramic tiles and loft layout and it was impeccably clean. It is located in a great part of Panama City, Casco Viejo, which is one of the most beautifully quaint districts I have ever seen. My two girlfriends and I felt completely safe and at ease during our entire stay.
But what was most impressive was the service and the unending hospitality of the owners and staff. For example:
1. My flight was delayed and I arrived at 2am instead of 9pm. The staff was waiting at the airport (to my relief) and at 2 in the morning, I was relieved to be escorted by two lovely women who gave me a great introductory tour during our ride into the city, even tho they must have been exhausted! I was then met by one of the owners at 230 am, where he made sure that I had everything I needed before he went to bed.
2. We were also given the best recommendations for dinner and drinks the next night, details down to what the best dishes at each restaurant were.
3. The owners were sweet enough to take us out for drinks and dancing to celebrate (I was there for my bachelorette party!). They introduced us to their friends- very sweet and genuine ppl - and we all had an awesome night!
Finding this place is definitely what made the trip so memorable!
Big thanks and hugs to Mateo, who was always a thoughtful and gentlemanly host!
And now, I am seriously considering changing my honeymoon plans to revisit Panama and Los Cuartro Tulipanes!

WDC
Reviewed 19 August 2009

Staying at one of Los Cuatro Tulipanes' (LCT) apartments was the highlight of my recent trip to Panama.
The Apt
We stayed in Casa Mendez, which was very charming, clean and spacious. We loved the floor to ceiling windows/doors, which let in the perfect amount of sunlight during the day!! We also loved the blue and white tiles and the exposed stonewall. Even though there was construction next door, we were not bothered by it b/c we were so content with the apt. LCT offers 18 different apts, so you have plenty of amazing apts to choose from!
The People
The owners of LCT are awesome! Before getting to Panama, they were very responsive and accommodating to all our questions and requests. Once we arrived, they went out of their way to make sure that all of us were enjoying our time in Panama. The owners are well connected and highly respected in Panama City. On our last night in Panama City, we stayed in one of the higher end hotels in Panama City (if we hadn't already paid for the hotel before arriving in Panama, we would've stayed at one of LCT's apts!). Due to the higher end hotel's inability to offer recommendations for restaurants, sites, etc, we contacted the LCT owners who happily and instantly were able to provide us with several outstanding options. We also absentmindedly left some personal items in the apt, which the owners personally dropped off for us at the hotel.
The Location
Casco Viejo is my favorite part of Panama City. It is the most quaint area, offering architecturally unique buildings, cobblestoned streets, plazas surrounded by outdoor restaurant/cafe seating, and an authentic Panamanian aura (esp compared to the more developed areas in Panama City flooded by high-rise buildings). All of LCT's apts are centrally located in Casco Viejo, so you cannot go wrong!
If you visit Panama City, stay at Los Cuatro Tulipanes!!

San Diego
Reviewed 12 August 2009

After staying one night in Panama City at a large hotel with smoky, overpriced rooms and shady crowds, we discovered Casco Viejo. It was my sister's Birthday and we were having wine at a jazz bar there when we decided to explore the possibility of finding a hotel in the old city for the following evening. It was almost 2AM and we're wandering the streets, asking (in spanish and english) everyone we encountered where we could find a hotel l. No one was able to help us and we began facing the fact that we would have to return to our smoky dungeon in the downtown area. Suddenly, a nice gentleman said "you guys look confused". The voice was a miracle out of no where, speaking to our current uneasy emotions. We continued to ask about the “supposed” hotel accommodations in the area, when the man (Matt) said “I own a hotel, right over here”. Across the street, there it was, Los Cuatros Tulipanes! Even at the late hour (or early hour I should say), he invited us into his office to look at the apartment he had available. We were immediately sold and regretted ever stepping foot in the downtown hotel. The furnishings were lovely and the apartment had every amenity you could think of. And to top it all off, we had a view of the water from our adorable balcony, which also overlooked the entry gate to the President’s house…. Charming in every sense!

The excellent service continued…The next morning, Matt assisted with getting us from the dungeon to our new oasis. We were escorted to the apartment and shown how to work all of the fantastic appliances and even given the inside-scoop on the local eateries, bars and local secrets - such as the old woman downstairs who makes lunch in her home for the government employees daily! Matt even made arrangements for us to feast at her house the next day – A home cooked meal for $2.50! Our trip even ended with Matt making us arrangements to get to the airport and made sure all was set with his preferred car service. It was 5-star service and we truly felt at home… Can’t wait to go back and try out one of the other apartments!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends