“Terrible !!!”

Matsuei Sushi Bar Panama
Ranked #252 of 980 Restaurants in Panama City
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Buffet, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
United States
“Terrible !!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

The decoration is a mess, the staff never smile and the sushi is the worst I had in my entire life. Even in Africa I had way better sushi!! Nothing to say man, it's bad don't go there. Trust me on this. I went there first and thought maybe it's just me being demanding but the second time Gosh it was bad again and I got angry at myself for making the same mistake 2x.

3 Thank Fzenzin

Fort Frances, Canada
“Typical Panamanian service - Bad”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

We had heard good reports of Matsuei and were looking forward to some good sushi, which is typically hard to find in Panama. Unfortunately we were misled! The sushi was avaerage at best (name me a Japanese restaurant in Japan that uses cream cheese). Had to basically tackle a waiter to get a drink, as the Barman kept hiding to avoid the idea of work.

• Visited October 2010
Chicago, Illinois
“Definitely beat my expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

I visited Matsuei on July 2nd, craving sushi after 10 days in Panama. As an employee of a Japanese organization, I have pretty high standards for Japanese food, and I was frankly expecting this restaurant to be worse than American Japanese restaurants.
I was pleasantly surprised to find Matsuei's quality to be at American levels. The salmon was fresh and delicious, as were some of the other sushi fish that we tried. I also had a rice bowl that was pretty tasty. I obviously didn't get to try everything on the menu, but everything seemed relatively good from looking around.
The restaurant also had a nice setting, and felt like you were in a Japanese restaurant. Some of the waitresses, even if Panamian, wear kimonos.
The only issue, which is an issue all over Panama due to both supply and logisitics, was that tuna sashimi was not available. I found a couple of other restaurants that did not serve tuna during my trip, let alone that would say they were out of something. Regardless, if you manage your expectations for Panama, you should definitely enjoy Matsuei.

• Visited July 2011
Aquitaine, France
“Good Japanese food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

The food at Matsuei is OK but not the best in Panama.

Fort Frances, Canada
“Terrible Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2010

We had heard a couple of people say they really liked Matsuei so we went there looking forward to a good if not brilliant Japanese meal. We did not get it.
There were 6 to 8 other customers in the restaurant as well as my husband and myself, on a Saturday night. It took quite a long time to get menus, to order and to get our fairly ordinary food. Worst of all (for an Australian), my husband sat with an empty beer glass for half an hour. I eventually got up and chased a waitress towards our table. We finally got fresh drinks, but it was too late - we had agreed never to go there again.

3 Thank CaramutJane