“Thanksgiving Warmth”
Review of The Caldwell House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Abbeville
The Caldwell House
Ranked #1 of 2 Abbeville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 December 2008

We stayed at this B & B after having been on a houseboat for two excellent days in Henderson so we welcomed the comfort this superb lodging offered. Indeed the attention to detail was charming as was our host, Mae Mayeux. We were welcomed and, to our joy, so were our children. We had our aperitif in the drawing room and played games with the children before going out to dinner. An excellent breakfast was served before we left the following morning and a we were personally sent off with a wave and many happy memories of our Thanksgiving trip to Louisiana.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Caldwell House

Reviewed 9 December 2008

I won a free night in the honeymoon suite at the Caldwell at a bridal show in Lafayette. Little did I know just how great of a gift it would end up being!

Our wedding reception was in Abbeville so heading to Caldwell immediately afterwards was perfect. My husband went by that morning to pick up our key and check in. The entire suite was so beautiful! And the bed was really comfortable! This was a great way to begin our married life together. The entire house has been restored so beautifully; no detail was overlooked.

I highly recommend staying here if you get the chance!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2008

My husband and I spent the weekend at the Caldwell House during the weekend of the Omelette Festival. The Inn is absolutely gorgeous and Mae made us feel like we were old friends, though we'd never met her before. Our large room was beautiful and so inviting. Relaxing on the side porch in the swing was like heaven. Though our time at the Caldwell house was short, it was just what we needed to reenergize ourselves. We both look forward to going back sometime.

Mary and Allen Robichaud, Woonsocket, RI

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2008

The three days I spent at the Caldwell were wonderful. The room was clean and comfortable with ammentites like a robe, plush towels a comfortable bed and access to the kitchen for whatever food cravings I may have whenever I have them.
The staff is so friendly. Always there to help and always smiling. This is Southern Hospitality at its finest. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 October 2008

My husband and I have been traveling to Abbeville, from Michigan for many years and most recently from our new home in Texas, to enjoy three of the finest oyster houses anywhere - although our personal favorite is Dupuey's. While the food has always been worth the trip, until last week, the accomodations had been so-so at best, at at least once - down-right awful. Thankfully, this time my husband stumbled upon the Caldwell House, a beautiful, elegant, historic bed and breakfast just blocks from downtown Abbeville. From the warm welcome from our hostess, Mae to the even warmer send-off after a delicious breakfast, our stay was flawless. The house and the grounds are "storybook" beautiful, but comfortable and not at all stuffy. Mae Mayeux, the manager and hostess, welcomed us like old friends and then just let us enjoy our stay.

The Caldwell House is a great "special event" destination, even if the event is just enjoying an October evening after feasting on local oysters!

• Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed 24 October 2008

The Caldwell is a beautiful B&B but also an extraordinary venue for an event. My husband and I hosted an Engagement Party for some friends and we, along with the couple, live out of town. We held the party there b/c we are originally from the area and most of the guests attending still reside there. Our goal was to have a wonderful party at a beautiful venue with no stress and we definitely got it! Mae and the staff at The Caldwell were excellent and our expectations of the event were surpassed. I would highly recommend The Caldwell for any event and plan to use them in the future, if the need should arise. If you are looking for a stress free experience in an amazing setting, The Caldwell is your place!

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed 13 October 2008

I had the pleasure of staying at the Caldwell while in town writing a book on local festivals. (Abbeville has both a Cattle Festival and Giant Omelette Festival.) Having traveled across the country for such festivals, I can say that the Caldwell far outshines the other places I have stayed. From the warm welcome and great hospitality of Mae, the Manager, to the delightful furnishings, it was just a perfect stay--which turned a working weekend for me into something that felt a bit like a getaway.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abbeville
Best Western Abbeville Inn & Suites
Bois Des Chenes Bed and Breakfast
T'Frere's Bed & Breakfast
T'Frere's Bed & Breakfast
#2 of 3 in Lafayette

Been to The Caldwell House? Share your experiences!